android
Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 AM

Default So sad, R.I.P. Pilot..

Best Buy has let their Insignia dap line dwindle to a single Kix player. It looked hopeful for a while when the touch screen Pilot showed up but then it quickly disappeared. I choose to blame Best Buy for no other reason than I have never liked the Best Buy experience. I have three Pilots which should keep me going for a while or until something with as much functionality and reliability materializes. I've always seen the Pilot as what would have been designed by the creators of the Karma and Carbon had Rio not gone out of business. The Rio crew probavbly would have made it a little more polished in terms of hardware but the functionality of the Pilot can't be beat. RIP Pilot. May the engineers that created you be blessed by the dap gods and keep you employed and prosperous.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Insignia Moderator

I wouldn't say Insignia DAPs are dead quite yet. Although, I must say it doesn't look good. Clearly, something isn't going as planned for Insignia...

The Insignia DAP team is incredibly talented. I've never seen a dev team go so far out of their way to add the features we asked for. It's a shame their DAPs were marketed as store brand budget players, this turned a big chunk of the market away from them. They definitly weren't Rio, but with the firmware updates they were kicking out for a while there, they got damn close.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 PM

I wish I had known they were discontinuing this model and Insignia mp3 players, I would have bought a backup one also. Now I have to pay big money for a new battery.

Management let a great product go, and now the options for a good mp3 player like this one is more costly and has less features.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM

Goto amazon.com and buy from there: amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001AO4MWM/ref=dp_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1231132229&sr=8-5

buyer's warehouse has a few since I bought 3 of them from that place and have NO problems with them. All I got lucky and payed 54.55 for each of them.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 AM

You know what was really sad about the insignia pilot dying off. The lack of support. I don't mean necessarily from a firmware perspective, but from the company who made it. It was a Best Buy store brand, but it wasn't pushed as it should have. Employee's who sold it were often so mis-informed as to what its capabilities of it was. Partly due to lack of training material passed down to the blue shirts. Everything was always centered around the every popular mp3 player that every one just has to have, the ipod. Glad I got my pilot when I could. I've not heard anything about a new version of the pilot coming, I was hopeful that something would be coming soon since Napster is owned by Best Buy now, but who knows.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo3 View Post
I wish I had known they were discontinuing this model and Insignia mp3 players, I would have bought a backup one also. Now I have to pay big money for a new battery.

Management let a great product go, and now the options for a good mp3 player like this one is more costly and has less features.
Don't feel too bad. I bought a second as a back-up. They were dirt cheap for me, as I worked a short stint at a Best Buy last year for a few months ( with my employee discount, I think I paid about $30 for each one).

As I was saying, both Pilots developed an audio bug that became worse and annoying over time. The audio would start a little crackling noise every so often. Then, days later, it would get so much worse that listening to the Pilot was unbearable.

The Insignia Pilot has a great spec sheet of features. Too bad the components used to build it aren't worth a damn. It IS Insignia after all; it's a budget player alternative from a company with a so-so rep.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:20 AM

Default no problems here..

Going on two years with the same Pilot. I bought two others from eBay as backups but they're still waiting patiently for my first to die. At this rate, they'll probably die from neglect and despair before my first goes. I've had zero problems with my Pilot except for four (I think) crashes. Two were with Audible files which have proven to be occasionally glitchy with other players. The other two were undoubtedly from disconnecting from my computer without doing a usb disconnect first. All it took with the Audible crashes was a reset. With the usb issue, a quick reformat got it going. The sound quality is easily the equal of Rio (Karma & Carbon) and Apple (2nd gen and 4th gen classics) and a Cowon i7. The Cowon might have a slight edge but this may be because of a more configurable eq. I use the Pilot every day for at least an hour. Even the battery seems good for about what it was when new. I bought a couple replacement battery's from globaltrader in eBay for ten bucks each but haven't needed to use them. The Pilot isn't perfect (I'd like a higher quality jog wheel and a single funtion button for bookmarks) but in my opinion, it represnts a benchmark in functionality, reliability and quality audio playback. Clearly it is a player that is more than the sum of it's components. A diamond in the rough.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post

As I was saying, both Pilots developed an audio bug that became worse and annoying over time. The audio would start a little crackling noise every so often. Then, days later, it would get so much worse that listening to the Pilot was unbearable.
Interesting. Wondered what happened to them. They were being sold here in Australia on e bay dirt cheap. Bought one for someone else and was going to buy another for me but they vanished.

Have to see if the glitch happens or not. So far so good.