android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen V

Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Default ARG! Line in jack... world's must obscure pulg? What IS that?

Any idea what size plug it is? I lost the original adapter cord and now I'm completely stumped. It's not your run of the mill 1/8" stereo like almost everything else portable on the planet...no Creative had (for some unknown reason) decided to use what just may be the world's most obscure audio connector, and I can't figure out what it's supposed to be.

It almost looks to be the same size as the earphone plugs used on cheap transistor radios back in the '60s and '70s, but I can't remember what that was...and if it is that same size it's stereo not mono. !0 years in an electronic repair shop and I have never seen anything like it.

I guess I should be happy that it has a line-in, but...

What where they thinking?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 PM

The line-in plug should be a 2.5 mm stereo plug. Standard earphone plugs are 3.5 mm.

If you're planning to connect it to an earphone jack you should be able to find a patch cable with a 3.5 mm plug on one end and a 2.5 mm plug on the other.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 PM

Thank you so very much...8)

2.5 mm ok that's 3/32". No wonder I was having such a hard time. The next logical step would have been 1/16" (the common sizes being 1/4" and 1/8"), so that's what I was looking for.

There seems to be quite a few to choose from. Very strange indeed as I have never seen that size stereo plug on anything besides the Zen V.

Again... thank you so very much.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM

It's usually only used on some cellphones for the headphone/headset output.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive-In-Freak View Post
It almost looks to be the same size as the earphone plugs used on cheap transistor radios back in the '60s and '70s, but I can't remember what that was...and if it is that same size it's stereo not mono. !0 years in an electronic repair shop and I have never seen anything like it.
You're right, those little transistor radios had the 3/32" mono jacks. I've had a stereo 3/32" plug to 1/8" jack adapter for 20 years, but I've never used it. I've never seen a device other than a cellphone that even had a jack that small.

Quote:
What where they thinking?
Probably that it couldn't get mixed up with the headphone jack.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, first used with the transistor radios and now the standard for communication equipment like cell phones, two way radios, phone headsets, and microphones. I even remember some being on the Texas Instrument calculators.

Zen FAQ