android
Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Angry How do I hook fuze to surround sys?

Just purchased fuze. Seems like nice unit. want to connect to Sony surround sys. Currently has dock and hooked to DMPORT for Ipod. How do I hook up Fuze to work with system? What do I need or how is it done? Old guy with new toy and no knowledge? I realize thats a bad mixture but the damage is done LOL.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 PM

You can't hook it up via the iPod dock, but if you have an Auxillary Input, you can set it up with the Fuze's Headphone jack.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 AM

You will probably need an RCA Male-to-3.5mm headphone jack (male) to make it work. You can find these just about anywhere, like Target, Walmart, Bestbuy, etc. That's how I have mine. RCA's hooked up to the CD input on my stereo. Works like a charm, although you'll probably need to turn the volume up fairly high for it to send enough signal to the stereo.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 AM

Griffin's PowerDock for Sansa might worth a look at if you want more than just 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 AM

Default fuze to surround sys.

dmport is only option I think does not look like I have any open rca jacks for input? hopeing to find a wire compatable to system to use as charge as well as play. Something has got to be out there? I can not be the only one with this problem or could I? LOL my luck LOL

Old 02-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Has to be the only sourround system on the planet that doesnt have some sort of input...

Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc2319 View Post
dmport is only option I think does not look like I have any open rca jacks for input? hopeing to find a wire compatable to system to use as charge as well as play. Something has got to be out there? I can not be the only one with this problem or could I? LOL my luck LOL
Unless Sony makes a dock for Sansa, which I doubt, you're stuck with RCA jacks. Whether or not you have them depends on which particular model of the Surround System you have, which you haven't told us. You may have to use the jacks for CD or something else for the Fuze.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 PM

check this bad boy out-
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/wdtv/

it's only $100 and has HDMI outputs and a optical S/PDIF input on it.
and most importanly has 2 USB inputs.

if you connect the WDTV to your Sony Stereo via the optical
TOSLink (it's a sony, it's gonna have an optical input on it)

then plug your FUZE into one of the USB inputs on the WDTV

the WDTV will access your FUZE like it is a external HD and you can scroll thru the folders on your TV and pick/play music from the FUZE.

pretty slick IMO

i'm doing this right now with a Phillips DVD player that has a USB input as well. but the WDTV supports more formats (specifically FLAC) and i'm switching over to one as soon as they are back in stock at dell.com for $89

Old 02-06-2009, 11:38 AM

The WD TV is cool, but it will bypass the fantastic audio processing hardware of the Fuze. If there is ANY unused device (CD Player, DVD2, etc.) simply use the L/R Audio RCA inputs for that device.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM

the 1/8" headphone jack on the FUZE is digital audio converted into an analog signal

if you were to hook the WDTV up to your stereo via optical and then it's pulling files from the FUZE via USB - it's not goign thru any digital>analog conversion.

(however these is no question the RCA cables are cheaper and easier to do this, but that takes the audio out of the digital domain)

Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 AM

By the way, based on this string of posts, I went to Best Buy and purchased the WD TV - Hot Item. Truly plays MKV HD files, great codec converter and doesn't do a bad job on mp3 conversion. Will never take the place of my Fuze, but for video on my big screen - WoW.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:31 AM

I'm sorry - out sick and unable to keep up with posts.

Sony is 576 s-air. there are open RCA jacks, but as stated in original post I was unaware that I could use any input (trying to teach "old dog" new tricks LOL). So now I know that I can use the "SAT" set of jacks. since found a dock with remote I have been looking into. Attempting to gain as much knowledge as I can in effort to set up. Still trying to find out if the dock will display Fuze screen on TV as well as music selection.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsjw View Post
By the way, based on this string of posts, I went to Best Buy and purchased the WD TV - Hot Item. Truly plays MKV HD files, great codec converter and doesn't do a bad job on mp3 conversion. Will never take the place of my Fuze, but for video on my big screen - WoW.
awesome. i set one of these up for a buddy and am just waiting for the price to drop before i purchase my own. i've seen 'em for $80 at dell.com when they run specials.

it is getting some great reviews, WD claims they will keep updating the firmware to make it more versatile. the biggest knock on it is the lack of a network interface. but folks rave about the video formats it can handle.

that phillips DVD player i have is a 5990 and it was $40. it has HDMI/S/PDIF on it and a USB port on the front. you can plug the fuze into that USB port and it sees it like a HD as well.

i've spent years accessing HD and DMP devices by connecting them to a laptop and having that connected to the stereo via RCA. but devices like the Phillips or the WDTV are cheaper and quieter than a laptop and keeps everything in the digital domain.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 PM

The mp3 sound quality of the WD TV is quite good. I'm driving the projector from the HDMI and the audio from the SPDIF connector as well. The one USB port is limiting (hub might work) and the lack of network connection might be worth the cost trade-off. Sneaker-net and two inexpensive USB HD's keep it reasonable. The ability to pop the Fuze in it just makes it more economical. Haven't done an A-B with the WD-TV vs Fuse RCA conn. yet.