android
Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Default Real World Battery Life on NWZ-S639F...

I recently bought an NWZ-639F, but the battery didn't seem to last very long. I decided to test how many hours a could get on a charge. I completely ran the battery down, then recharged for an hour past 'FULL' charge.

I then set it playing, but didn't use any buttons except for occasionally pressing BACK to check if the battery was flat. I had turned the screensaver off previously.

I know the the 40hrs claimed by Sony is a best case scenario and will be difficuly to match in the same way as it's next to impossible to match the claimed MPG in a car, but I thought that the 30hrs I got was a little low. I'm also aware from skimming throught the manual that file types, bit rates, and player settings can make a difference. Anyone know how much difference and how much using the screen to select songs will make...and how quickly the battery drains when the player is not in use?

Anyone done a similar experiment before and can tell me how many hours they got?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-03-2009, 04:23 PM

my s739 did about the same in a similar test. My files are all wma files at 192. I set it up to play in random.

In 'normal' use (ie using screen a bit, turning on and off over a few days) I would guess I get about 25 hours use. I am happy with that as it lasts me a week or so for general commuting and plugging into the stereo at night.

Oh, and I always assumed the reduction in battery life was mainly because I use SQ settings, volume normalisation, clear stereo settings, and have the screen turned up quite bright that also eats into the battery life a bit. lets face it, you need those settings otherwise the player just sounds about as good as an ipod..... ;-)

Last edited by welshie; 02-03-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Quys, to check at "best possible scenario", you need to turn off all EQ, Clear bass, etc. Also need to get CBR 128 kbps MP3. Still there's one unknown variable - volume Anyways, I also get about 30 or more hours and I'm happy with it. My previous Samsung T10 lasted about 10-15 hours...

Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 PM

I don't think i'm getting anywhere near 20 hours with my S639 in general use, that said though, quite a lot of my music is in MP3 at 320 KBPS, would that reduce the battery life a lot?