android
Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM

Default Similar posted threads to S9

well i go over to the S9 forums and they have all those nice little things for games accessories UI themes or w/e and all that other nice stuff.

Would be kinda nice if we could get some nice spiffy threads like that over here even though some of the areas in them might be lacking a bit
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-03-2009, 05:50 AM
Contributing Editor

There is not enough activity on the o2 forums. The s9 has "more" going on with it, and for whatever reason the o2 doesnt. Its easy enough with just the main section.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 AM

I too have noticed its a bit quiet on the O2 forums on abi. I guess people dont know better lol.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgz View Post
well i go over to the S9 forums and they have all those nice little things for games accessories UI themes or w/e and all that other nice stuff.

Would be kinda nice if we could get some nice spiffy threads like that over here even though some of the areas in them might be lacking a bit
The S9 has a full Flash UI with available sources and theming manual, and the games are in Flash as well. Those are easy(ish) to create or convert/rip. Not to mention there are lots more people owning the S9.

The O2 runs some closed-source Linux variant, the UI cannot be customized at all, and games/apps have to be programmed in C++ on a Linux machine, specifically for the O2. This is quite a bleak outlook for people with less than top-notch hacking skills. Here's a few things about O2 hacking: http://cowondev.wikia.com/wiki/Cowon_Development_Wiki

Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM

I think the difference is that the S9 encourages hacking and to do apps on the O2 will require programming, not just hacking. This isn't a limitation of the O2, necessarily. It's because the hacker's skills are sometimes limited.

I'm not putting down hackers at all. I've seen highly skilled hackers do very creative work and that may happen with the O2 if enough of the good ones get interested.

Some systems, and from the description above it sounds like the S9 may be one of them, make it easy for the less skillful hackers to jump in and do stuff, too. That's sure not a bad thing but the really good stuff happens when programmers and the better hackers take an interest. Then you get things like Rockbox.

Barry

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Well, I didn't buy my O2 for games, if anyone is wondering. Not that games aren't useful. They are if you are sitting in an airport, or on a bus.

I got my O2 for some real quality media playing. It has come in handy with the features so far.

In my opinion, games were not really what was intended for this player. The document reader, and possibly a PDF reader would be awesome! Useful apps like the screen shot program or the calculator are great.

Let the S9 have it's fun with games, but the bulk of the users here on the O2 side probably don't want the games anyway! That's my vote and I'm sticking with it.
Sandisk Sansa e280R - v1.0 + 2 ea (2 GB MicroSDHC)
Creative Zen Nano Plus (1GB)

Old 03-06-2009, 12:05 PM

its not really hacking if its made to be customized its customization

What would be required to get the O2 to a spot most people would be happy with would probably require some cracking and skills
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)