android
Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 PM

Default Zen V install on Win Me

I'm having trouble installing a Zen V on my nephew's Windows Me machine. Even after installing the legacy driver from Creative's website the player doesn't seem to be detecting properly.

I did a restore on his system today, after which I installed WMP 9 and the legacy driver. When we connected the player the New Hardware Wizard appeared as expected. It never found the driver though. I'm not sure where the driver is located on the HDD or I'd point the wizard there.

Oh, and the player does work. I installed it without any problems on my XP machine. Upgrading his OS is not an option either. Can someone tell me where the legacy driver is found or any other tips for this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 AM

unfortunately,the zen v plus is only supported on windows xp.iv tried it on windows2000 (windows ME is built on 2000), and it only recogized it as a removable disk.

but hey,maybe there IS a way?
anyone if im wrong,let me know

Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 PM

Well, this isn't a V+, just a V. I don't know how much difference that makes. The legacy driver from Creative doesn't work though. I've found a driver that was written by a Zen V user from the Microsoft MTP kit. I'm too lazy to use the kit myself, so I'm going to try what he has.

He claims it works on Win 2k, and there are several testimonies that it does. Now, as far as any 9x goes, I can only hope. I'll be sure to post either way.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusstw View Post
unfortunately,the zen v plus is only supported on windows xp.iv tried it on windows2000 (windows ME is built on 2000), and it only recogized it as a removable disk.
Just to clear up a misconception: Windows ME and 2000 may share common UI elements, but ME and 2k are not based on each other. They don't even use the same kernel!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 PM

Quite true. Me was released prior to 2000, also. While the GUI resembles 2000, Me is most definitely a variety of Win 9x.

That being said, I now have a Zen V working on Windows Me. I used a driver written from the Microsoft MTP kit. The solution comes from a user on the Creative boards going by "The Smurf". Below are the directions given.

1. Download my own drivers with support for Zen V & Zen V Plus
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...le=5410MTP.zip
2. Unpack & Install MTP9x-2k.EXE
3. Choose ctpdmtp.inf & click right mouse button & select Install
4. Restart Windows
5. When Windows has booted up again plug your ZEN V in to a USB port,
if it askes for a driver please refer it to the ctpdmtp.inf file. (If
it doesn't ask for the drivers, start Add/Remove Hardware from Control
Panel and detect new hardware)
6. Download & install MediaMonkey
http://www.mediamonkey.com/download.htm
7. Now Zen V should work fine! It should appear as Creative Zen V or
Creative Zen V Plus in MediaMonkey after a few seconds.
The only difference for me was I didn't need MediaMonkey. Once the driver was installed, and the computer restarted, I connected the Zen and it was detected. Add New Hardware Wizard came up, I selected the correct location for ctpdmtp.inf and the Zen installed. Windows Media Player 9 was able to detect the Zen, and copy files to it.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:40 AM

I am trying to get my Zen V to run on Win Me, and have tried everything in this thread multiple times (and then some).

I've got the MTP 9x-2k file unpacked to a folder and I've installed that ctpdmtp.inf file.

I've also tried the legacy drivers but they don't let me unpack them to a custom destination. I think it sends them to Windows\system. Does anyone have a list of just what those filenames are so maybe I can retrieve them?

When I point the Hardware Manager to the ctpdmtp.inf folder, it fails to find or if I point to the file directly (using the "Have disk" option, it says something like "the specified location does not contain information for your hardware". I tried pointing it to Windows\System but it fails to find anything.

I have also reinstalled WMP9 from the Easy Start CD that came with my old Zen Nano. I installed Media Monkey too but neither of these 2 programs recognizes my Zen V.

My computer does recognize it as a "Zen V (Video)" (most of the time, when it's not being a brat and calling it "unsupported device" or USB device")

Help?

Last edited by sakuranbo; 03-07-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello. Try taking a look here to see if it helps.

Zen FAQ