android
Old 03-14-2009, 04:44 AM

Default Fuze Battery Life Question

hi guys. new member here....

well i just got my Fuze a few days ago, its my very first mp3 player, and i'm in love with it. to say the least. i just know its that "perfect partner" i will want with me a good many years

now i don't know much about these things, but i do know the battery in the Fuze is not readily replaceable. my question is a simple one: if i buy another Fuze in the near future and keep it boxed up for a couple of years, never using it...when i do use it will the battery be as "good as new," or do batteries lose ability over time to hold charges due to age, regardless if they are ever used or not?

i ask because i know the Fuze will be replaced with another model sooner or later. but i doubt i will want that model, as the Fuze is something i consider perfect in all ways for me. i'm a creature of habit and i can safely say i will want a fully charged and functioning Fuze for at least the next four years, at least. which means i'll most likely need another. so i figure best to get another now when readily and inexpensively available

so, what say you about this battery business? and thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Administrator

I picked up a couple of the $49 Clips to give as Christmas gifts but was concerned about giving bum batteries so I did some research. According to Battery University buying now to have them for use 4 years from now is probably not a great idea.

They say:
"Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices."

I would never want to try to tell you what your tastes and habits are but I will bet in 4 years someone will have made a player that will blow the Fuze away. I thought my e250 was THE player for me when I first bought one. Then my Rockboxed e250. Then my Rockboxed e250 with USB support. Now my Clip. You get the idea. The Fuze is a great player but someone is working on another to tempt you away from it in six months or a year.

BTW: Welcome to abi, hang around, tons of info, laughs and helpful people.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short_Fuze View Post
hi guys. new member here....
Welcome to AnythingbutiPod.

Quote:
if i buy another Fuze in the near future and keep it boxed up for a couple of years, never using it...when i do use it will the battery be as "good as new," or do batteries lose ability over time to hold charges due to age, regardless if they are ever used or not?
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm:
Quote:
Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use.

Quote:
i ask because i know the Fuze will be replaced with another model sooner or later. but i doubt i will want that model, as the Fuze is something i consider perfect in all ways for me.
Future MP3 players will probably have greater capacities, have more useful features, have a longer battery life, be easier to use, and perhaps even less expensive.

Quote:
so, what say you about this battery business?
Please see the above link.

Quote:
and thanks
You are welcome. skip252 gave good advice.

Last edited by Enigmatic; 03-14-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: skip252 answered while I was typing the reply.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Great Minds Think Alike? ROFLMAO

Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 AM

thanks for all the good info and links. very helpful. and yeah i will be sticking around as my enthusiasm for this stuff has just begun. so thanks for the welcome

and yeah you are prolly right about wanting something different when its time to get another. when i get excited about something new to me in tech....i usually start to...um....indulge myself. mp3 players will be no different. creature of habit or not

as a matter of fact...the Clip has already caught my eye...

Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short_Fuze View Post
thanks for all the good info and links. very helpful. and yeah i will be sticking around as my enthusiasm for this stuff has just begun. so thanks for the welcome

and yeah you are prolly right about wanting something different when its time to get another. when i get excited about something new to me in tech....i usually start to...um....indulge myself. mp3 players will be no different. creature of habit or not

as a matter of fact...the Clip has already caught my eye...
I've got a Fuze and 2 Clips.....and I use them all !

Old 03-18-2009, 01:57 PM

It should be noted in this thread that the battery inside the Fuze is a LiPo(Lithium Polymer), and NOT lithium ion. There are differences between the two

One thing to NEVER do.. if you happen to open your Fuze, do not attempt to charge the battery outside of the unit, or charge a new battery outside the unit if you happen to find a replacement. Improper charging of these can result in fire..easily. Also, never use a LiPo that has been damaged-they are soft and easily dented/kinked. A damaged battery can catch fire even with proper charging. A LiPo fire is similar to slow-burning gunpowder..

That said, SanDisk has good reason for choosing LiPo. They have better battery life than Lithium Ion. Also, the Fuze(and other players with these inside), has a very sturdy case, so damage to these batteries is near impossible without killing the rest of the unit in the process. There is no reason to worry about the battery catching fire during normal usage, as long as one never "Rigs" a charger for it. Always use the computer or a USB power adapter and you'll be fine.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:11 PM

Replacement fuze batters are on ebay. Just search. (I HATE ebay, but it's the only place you can get them.