android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 09-10-2008, 03:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Guy View Post
I have a Vision M 30gb that is recognized by Windows, in device manager and by the pop up when docked but not by any other software.

My set up is as follows:
XP sp2
WMP10 (rolled back because WMP11 caused other issues)
Creative Explorer for the M plus, Micro, Micro Photo and Zen Plus (we like Creative Players)
I've unisnstalled and re-installed the Explorer for the M and it worked the same either way.
Firmware version 1.61.......

I've tried various solutions on this forum and others including editing the registry permissions, clean up and re-format etc.
When I plug the Vision in as a removable disk it is recognized by all programs and is accessable, as a test I copied data to and from by as a player it's not recognized by WMP, Creative explorer or Windows explorer or the Creative MP3 Recovery program.
When plugged (USB) in the player turns on and shows as docked and will recharge.
It did play the limited amount of music on it before I formatted it but I thought maybe there was something buggy on the player.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

It's not under warrenty or anything and I'm not afraid to open it but if there'sa asetup solution I'd prefer that first.
When you rolled back WMP11 did you uninstall WMP11 runtime thru the add/remove programs ? After installing the Explorer for the ZVM did you the update the Explorer for that app with the download file from Creative?

Last edited by coachop94; 09-10-2008 at 03:41 AM. Reason: additional question

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
When you rolled back WMP11 did you uninstall WMP11 runtime thru the add/remove programs ?
See these:

Quote:
Removing both WMP11 and Creative Vision M Explorer made it recognized in Device Manager, 'docked' on the player but not found by WMP10 or Windows explorer.
Quote:
reinstallled WMP10, same result got the error meassage: 'Windows Media Player does not detect a portable device.
His very first post:

Quote:
WMP10 (rolled back because WMP11 caused other issues)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
After installing the Explorer for the ZVM did you the update the Explorer for that app with the download file from Creative?
Keep in mind his issue here was that no software was detecting the ZVM including WMP, Windows Explorer, the Recovery Tool....

Zen FAQ

Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
This basically confirms that something or some service that is loading or starting in normal mode is interfering with the ZVM's driver load since it appears to load properly in Safe Mode. I would start disabling any auto-started program or exe from the startup folder and registry as well as disabling any not-needed services.
Would restarting my PC in SAFE mode then trying to install the ZEN counter act this possible issue of start menu programs running in the background?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
See these:

His very first post:

Keep in mind his issue here was that no software was detecting the ZVM including WMP, Windows Explorer, the Recovery Tool....
I tried all of this stuff, WMP10 is installed all WMP11 stuff uninstalled including the runtime files. There's no Creative software (Micro, Micro phot and Zen Plus all gone) on the PC now except for a Web cam. It wasn't working on an Me machine or XP Pro (at work so there wasn't alot I could do with it removing software wise), I will have access to a Vista machine this weekend so maybe I'll have more sucess

Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Would restarting my PC in SAFE mode then trying to install the ZEN counter act this possible issue of start menu programs running in the background?
You won't be able to install the software due to not having the correct services be able to start and run in Safe mode (Windows Installer).

Zen FAQ

Old 09-15-2008, 01:27 PM

I tried stopping some of the stuff running in the backround (anti-virus, network connections etc) but it's hard to tell what's required and what's not since task manager doesn't exactly tell you what all the running apps do.

And I tried with my daughter's new Vista loaded laptop. The MTP driver gets loaded but I get the code 10 error now. This is on a brand new laptop with no Creative software installed, only the basic Dell junk that comes with the computer. The player does show 'docked' though and will charge.

I tried the MP3 Recovery tool from Creative on my XP PC while having my player docked in Recovery mode and the player can't be found.

Sometimes when docked in recovery mode WMP 10 and Explorer 'sees' the player as a 50MB device but can't communicate with it.

I also found this thread and I have the same issues except I do have firmaware on my player http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=31096.

I wanted to try reloading the firmware but since my player is never 'properly' seen by the various software I'm leary of deleting the firmware from the player. Should I be?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sometimes when docked in recovery mode WMP 10 and Explorer 'sees' the player as a 50MB device but can't communicate with it.

I also found this thread and I have the same issues except I do have firmaware on my player
Are you sure you have firmware installed. The 50MB partition is what you typically see when there is no firmware installed. This partition is created and set aside for the loading of the firmware. Forgive me if you have alreadu mentioned itt or not, but have you tried reformatting the ZVM (you will lose all files when reformatting) to recreate the file system (in case it is having problems) and then try reloading the firmware by using the Reload Firmware option from within Recovery Mode?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-17-2008, 02:56 PM

I seem to have firmware 1.61.01, even though I've formated it boots to the Zen screen but re-builds every time, the clock works I can change backrounds, the radio is displayed but not working...I almost think there is a firmware issue.

Is it possible to reload firmware in recovery mode without being docked or does it pick up the firmware from the PC? Or do I risk deleting the firmware and having an 'empty' player?

Old 09-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I seem to have firmware 1.61.01, even though I've formated it boots to the Zen screen but re-builds every time, the clock works I can change backrounds, the radio is displayed but not working...I almost think there is a firmware issue.
It seems as though.... a firmware or database corruption. I'm thinking a Format and Firmware reload should correct the issue (unless it is more related to a more serious hard drive issue).

Quote:
Is it possible to reload firmware in recovery mode without being docked or does it pick up the firmware from the PC? Or do I risk deleting the firmware and having an 'empty' player?
Selecting the Reload Firmware from within Recovery Mode doesn't actually reload the firmware, but more so just erases the currently installed firmware to ensure no existing corruption/data carries over to the new installation. The reloading of the firmware doesn't take place until you connect the ZVM to the computer and execute the downloaded firmware file or the Recovery Tool. Removing the firmware does not erase the files you put on the ZVM (a format will), but with no firmware, they can be inaccessible until the firmware is reloaded.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-18-2008, 12:27 PM

I just worried that once the firmware is deleted if the ZVM isn't recognized I'll have a brick with a pretty glowing screen.
I guess I really have no choice but to try this.

So the procedure is:
1. boot into recovery mode
2. run reload firmware
3. plug ZVM in and either run the Recovery tool or download the firmware and run the downloaded firmware package and cross my fingers?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try making sure you have a good connection in Recovery Mode first. Boot into Recovery Mode and connect the ZVM to the computer. Does the driver load fine in Device Manager? If you start the Recovery Tool, does it recognize the ZVM? If so, you should be ok. Recovery Mode operates independently of the firmware, so if it is being detected properly within it, everything should be fine when you erase the currently loaded firmware.

Quote:
So the procedure is:
1. boot into recovery mode
2. run reload firmware
3. plug ZVM in and either run the Recovery tool or download the firmware and run the downloaded firmware package and cross my fingers?
Yup, looks good. If you have your files backed-up and are ok with reloading them, you could also try a Format before reloading the firmware. Just remember, you will lose all files if you do this.<!-- / message -->

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 09-18-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Yeah none of that happens, although the recovery program can see the player it can't interact, I've already tried it without running the reload assuming that the tool would work like it has on other Creative players I have and just go ahead an work it's magic without me deleting any firmware.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What you are looking for here is the detection. When in Recovery Mode, if Device Manager loads the driver fine, and the Creative software (Recovery Tool and downloaded firmware file) still detects the ZVW, you should be fine. The problem here is if you have a file system corruption (format would be needed to correct) or firmware corruption, you would need to remove the existing firmware before reloading. That way no part of the corruption/problem carries over to the new firmware load.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 PM

Hey it worked! I figured that even if it didn't I had a useless player.

Thanks for all of the help Bobby.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hey it worked! I figured that even if it didn't I had a useless player.
Great! Nice job. Did you do a firmware reload and a format or just the firmware reload?

Quote:
Thanks for all of the help Bobby.
No problem!

Zen FAQ

Old 09-19-2008, 06:02 AM

Did a format, reload, then plugged the player into the PC and it was recognized by the recovery program. The update ran quite a while and seemed to hang at the 'rebooting palyer' step so I unplugged it and reset it and it was working.
Now I have 30 Gigs to fill up.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Did a format, reload, then plugged the player into the PC and it was recognized by the recovery program. The update ran quite a while and seemed to hang at the 'rebooting palyer' step so I unplugged it and reset it and it was working.
Now I have 30 Gigs to fill up.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Thanks alot, for me fix no1 worked fine, i went to registry for it..thanks alot...