android
Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 PM

Default Creative Zen V+ 4gb review

Creative Zen V+ 4gb review

Having used my Zen constantly for a few months (until itís untimely demise) I wondered why anyone would EVER buy an iPod. For less than the price of a shuffle, you could have a DAP which could rival the nano.

The V+ is pleasing on the eye. It is extremely small and light, and is very comfortable to hold. The screen is quite scratch resistant, although a few weeks of rubbing against my keys made the screen look rather worn, although this was never an issue when the screen was actually on. It has dedicated volume buttons on the right and a power/lock button on the right. The 5-way joystick, although at first fiddly, is easier to use once you get used to it. There are 2 buttons to the right of the joystick; a play/pause and back buttons. When holding the back button, a menu appears with options such as ďadd to playlistĒ etc. However, it took me quite a while to realise that this was possible, and I always wondered how to create playlists. The only problems I found with the button layout was that it was rather difficult to reach with my thumb when holding in my right hand. I found it much easier to flip the display 180 degrees and use it upside down.

The UI is very simple and intuitive. Everything is arranged in lists, which are navigated using the joystick. Also, you can change the background to one of your own photos, which is a nice feature.

Battery life is truly ENORMOUS. It could easily withstand a couple of dayís heavy use without charging. I even fell asleep listening to it a couple of times, and it was still playing the morning after.

The OLED screen is only 1.5 inches, which isnít great for watching movies, but for short clips itís fine. However, I had some issues with the video playback, which I will explain later.

It contains some possibly useful, although rather superfluous IMO, features such as synching with outlook and use as a Mass Storage Device. It wouldíve been great if it had a couple of simple games (just Tetris or whatever) as itís size meant I could hide it in the palm of my hand during class (and I have tiny hands). The FM radio feature was below average. On autoscan it skips some stations, and the quality of he sound isnít great.

In the box you get all the usual cables and manuals etc. I was quite impressed by the earphones that come with it. They are Creative EP-480s, and were extremely comfortable, gave out a good quality sound and made a hell of a lot of noise

The Creative Video Converter software didnít seem to work properly. No matter how I tried, I was unable to get it to work. It would just pop up with an error message telling me it couldnít do it Also, I was under the impression it would support BBC iplayer downloads, though obviously I was mistaken. However, the video converter is my only major criticism of this very useful, well rounded DAP.

Overall rating: 7/10

This rating would have easily been an 8 or 9 if it werenít for the disappointing video converter.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 PM

Sorry, forgot to add that it died form screen failure One day the screen went all dark and died. Unfortunately this seems to be a common problem with the V and V+

Tags
4gb, creative, review, v+, zen