android
Old 01-24-2007, 03:53 PM

Talking DIY wall charger using RAZR/Q powerpack

When I found out I'd have to shell out at least 30 bones for an e200 wall charger I, like the rest of us, sighed. SanDisk was really on a roll pleasing me at every turn. I suppose there's always a catch. So I started browsing around Google for a charger hack so I could just use one of the million old power packs I have laying around here... Turns out the Motorola Razr/Q charger is perfect. I know this is safe because my razr batt is a 3.7 v 740mAh Li-ion and my sansa batt is a 3.7V 750mAh Li-ion.
I had found some random forum where a guy cracked his razr charger open and soldered a female USB port into it. Now, I don't solder and wasnt about to learn just for this.

You'll need a USB extension cord and RAZR or Q charger, electrical tape, a wire stripper (for the thick ones in the beginning) and common sense (red wire to red wire, black to black)

First I overcame my fears and just started cutting. I cut the wire off the charger about four inches from the pack (just for leeway, six inches if you have trouble stripping wires) I took a USB extension cord (one end male, the other female) and spliced the female end to the charger and the male end to the tail I just separated from the pack. If you do this make absolutely sure that when you electrical tape it all up, you separately tape up the positive twist and the negative twist and then tape them together to avoid any shorts and rug fires don't worry if you have extra wires! there will be a green and a white one inside the USB cable that are for data transfer and a tiny tiny white one in the charger wire (don't know what its for but it wasnt needed) just tape them together next to each other and wrap them into the finished cord before the final tape up. After I closed it all up my first test was to see if my phone would still charge (I was worried about the little rouge white wire) and SUCCESS! It charges just like nothing happened, only now I can unplug that cord and insert the
Sansa cable. This too was a success, as it displays the mini charging animation while you listen, or the full screen charge animation if you turn it off while plugged in.
Just saved 30 bucks and a trip to the store...

-I am not responsible for anyone else's actions
-If you do this and fry something or burn your house down, or get electrocuted, I am also not responsible for that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (68.5 KB, 359 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 PM

nice...very simply done...you might as well make a simple tut in instructables or something, let me see if i can find my dad's old cellphone charger...

Old 01-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Take a look at this guys,

Hack a Female USB Port to a Motorola Phone Charger

Old 01-30-2007, 06:51 PM

Sansa e200 Wall Charger with attached cable with e200 connector for $10 including shipping from Summitimage.com - Item Number SANE200TC. Just got mine today and works fine.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Insignia Moderator

Very nice. By the way, you can use any adapter, as long is it puts out at least 500mA at 4.5 - 5V.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 PM

i found myself a 5.9v. 400mA and the instructable writer says that it wouldn't work... =/

only if those cellphone chargers included those chips that would stop from overcharging when it is notified to be done...

Old 01-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Insignia Moderator

5.9V is a little high... You might fry something.

And the Sansa already has a power management chip built in. It won't let you over charge it.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:52 PM

ah thanks tobey...never knew that it has it built in...

i'm wondering whether i should buy a charger off amazon for around 5 including s&h, or just make it myself since my friend's giving me his 5v. charger soon o_O...

anyways, nice to hear about the chip cuz i've seen a lot of charger reviews sayin, "blah blah, lack of overcharging detector etc"

Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 AM

hey igotquestions, I was referring to that link when I said I didnt want to learn to solder. That guy made that into way more work than it needed to be, like cracking open the pack, and dremeling a hole to install the female port. Why not just splice it into the line? cleaner, faster, easier, less tools, same finished product.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:29 PM

good news, for people from sweden. clas ohlson has a wall charger with a USB port
http://www.clasohlson.se/Product/Pro...spx?id=2946051 and it only costs 95 kr

Old 02-02-2007, 04:34 PM

A good idea to keep in mind is don't tape up connections until you have confirmed that it works...

Also shrink tubing is the best other than eletrical tape, thats for those of us that have soldering materials
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114916
MSC Playlist editor
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=2381

Old 02-15-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on30trainman View Post
Sansa e200 Wall Charger with attached cable with e200 connector for $10 including shipping from Summitimage.com - Item Number SANE200TC. Just got mine today and works fine.
That item is now $13 plus shipping, but they also have for $12.99 SANDISK SANSA E200 / E200R / C200 SERIES USB DATA CABLE W/ USB CHARGERS. This package includes two chargers, 110VAC & 12VDC, and a retractable Sansa USB cable.

Don't know about the quality, but will soon find out as I ordered one.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:48 PM

FYI: Most iPod Charges will work as long as they use a USB connection Out (ie Old Shuffle Compatable). Just use your Sansa Cable

Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 PM

There is a simpler way to do it.
I've been doing this for a few months now and it's not destructive and completly reversable. In onther words, I use the same charger for my RAZR and my Sansa.
Here is what you do.
Go to RadioShack and get a Female Mini USB to Female USB (fullsize) adapter.
DONE.

Here is what the adapter looks like.

Only pain is finding a RadioShack that carries this adapter.

Good Luck.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:51 AM

Smile Premade Almost Free Wall Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acanthus219 View Post
When I found out I'd have to shell out at least 30 bones for an e200 wall charger I, like the rest of us, sighed. SanDisk was really on a roll pleasing me at every turn. I suppose there's always a catch. So I started browsing around Google for a charger hack so I could just use one of the million old power packs I have laying around here... Turns out the Motorola Razr/Q charger is perfect. I know this is safe because my razr batt is a 3.7 v 740mAh Li-ion and my sansa batt is a 3.7V 750mAh Li-ion.
I had found some random forum where a guy cracked his razr charger open and soldered a female USB port into it. Now, I don't solder and wasnt about to learn just for this.

You'll need a USB extension cord and RAZR or Q charger, electrical tape, a wire stripper (for the thick ones in the beginning) and common sense (red wire to red wire, black to black)

First I overcame my fears and just started cutting. I cut the wire off the charger about four inches from the pack (just for leeway, six inches if you have trouble stripping wires) I took a USB extension cord (one end male, the other female) and spliced the female end to the charger and the male end to the tail I just separated from the pack. If you do this make absolutely sure that when you electrical tape it all up, you separately tape up the positive twist and the negative twist and then tape them together to avoid any shorts and rug fires don't worry if you have extra wires! there will be a green and a white one inside the USB cable that are for data transfer and a tiny tiny white one in the charger wire (don't know what its for but it wasnt needed) just tape them together next to each other and wrap them into the finished cord before the final tape up. After I closed it all up my first test was to see if my phone would still charge (I was worried about the little rouge white wire) and SUCCESS! It charges just like nothing happened, only now I can unplug that cord and insert the
Sansa cable. This too was a success, as it displays the mini charging animation while you listen, or the full screen charge animation if you turn it off while plugged in.
Just saved 30 bucks and a trip to the store...

-I am not responsible for anyone else's actions
-If you do this and fry something or burn your house down, or get electrocuted, I am also not responsible for that.

When I was reading this i realized, most 'blue-tooth' ear peices charge from a usb. (Wall --> usb converter --> usb cord --> Earpeice).
So i take my computer connection for my mo3 player and plug it into my earpeice cord, and guess what, its works sweet.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:11 AM

Wow.. that's amazing, wonder how he came up with it

Old 09-15-2007, 12:56 AM

This is an old thread, but interesting.

CyberGuys.com carries the mini-USB to USB adapter for not much, for anyone wanting an alternative to RadioShack.

I'll likely get one, so that when I travel, I only need 1 charger for both phone AND sansa.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:20 PM

I have two cell phone chargers one with output 5.9 V and 400 mA and one with 5 V and 620 mA which one would work to charge the 3.7 V 750 mA battery on my sansa?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Better idea...go to your local thrift store. They'll have a box of old "wall warts", or cell phone chargers. Buy one that puts out 4.5- 5 volts dc (vdc) and at least 500 mA (milliamps). Cut the cell phone connector off, and splice a female usb plug to the adaptor. on the USB cord, you want the red (positive) and black wire (negative). Make sure the splices won't touch each other and short. Hook the computer sync cable to the female USB connector, and voila, USB wall charger. This trick will work for any device that is powered or charges over usb.