android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 04-08-2009, 05:32 PM

Default [SOLVED] My new Fuze won't recognize ID3 tags of certain albums

Hi, I just got a brand new 8GB Fuze with 8GB microSD and filled it up with music (via MSC). 5 or 6 of the albums I put on for some reason consistently show up as "Unknown" in the Artist menu.

I tried wiping and retagging the original files and re-loading them onto the device, and deleting the Fuze database file, but the same thing keeps happening with the same albums. I also tried updating the firmware and the problem remains. Some of the albums are on the Fuze memory and some are on the microSD so it has nothing to do with that.

Keep in mind that these ID3s are v2.3 and are recognized just fine by any app on my computer as well as on my Rockboxed Sansa e270. I tag using EasyTAG 2.1.

Any ideas? I'm really loving the player so far but this is getting on my nerves.

Last edited by Astaroth; 04-08-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Solved.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Hi, I just got a brand new 8GB Fuze with 8GB microSD and filled it up with music (via MSC). 5 or 6 of the albums I put on for some reason consistently show up as "Unknown" in the Artist menu.

I tried wiping and retagging the original files and re-loading them onto the device, and deleting the Fuze database file, but the same thing keeps happening with the same albums. I also tried updating the firmware and the problem remains. Some of the albums are on the Fuze memory and some are on the microSD so it has nothing to do with that.

Keep in mind that these ID3s are v2.3 and are recognized just fine by any app on my computer as well as on my Rockboxed Sansa e270. I tag using EasyTAG 2.1.

Any ideas? I'm really loving the player so far but this is getting on my nerves.
this one's a puzzler Astaroth. You might want to double check the tagging on the albums in question re: the syntax. I had a kind of the same problem as yours a while back and it turned out to be a syntax error...(single quote ') when using MP3tag. Error was not allowing the tag to be read properly. Other than that....dunno??

Happy to see you're liking your Fuze. So do I!!
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 04-08-2009, 05:55 PM

The fuze only supports ISO-8859-1 ID3 tags. What you probably have are UTF-8 or 16, which the fuze doesn't support.

Hopefully in a future update UTF will be supported.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM

Interesting, I just ran across that same diagnosis (d_headshot's) on a different forum. I've retagged the files with ISO and no UTF... and that did it.

Even though I'm happy this got solved so quickly... they really need to fix this in the next FW upgrade. I really can't go through my entire library and make sure everything is in ISO. Hopefully it really will be out this week.

All's well... etc!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:01 PM

Technically, the fuze does display UTF if the characters in the tags that don't have any special symbols, etc. I think all of mine are UTF and they play perfectly. Also, I was reading through some forums and the fuze might actually support UTF-16 but I cannot confirm that. But it's good that you got it working

Old 04-09-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post

Even though I'm happy this got solved so quickly... they really need to fix this in the next FW upgrade. I really can't go through my entire library and make sure everything is in ISO. Hopefully it really will be out this week.

All's well... etc!
Mp3tag & EasyTag (Linux) & probably others will automatically go through a whole directory tree making all the tags fit the tag preferences you have chosen.

I found this _REALLY_ useful first time I tried to use a Sansa e260v2, (& later a Fuze) as they are SO fussy about tags. My library was tagged with a mixture of v1 & v2.4 (mostly UTF), and it did not work at all well with my e260v2.

The fussyness may have changed with the latest Fuze firmware, which is reputed to support v2.4 tags. Haven't tried it myself yet - my entire library is v2.3 ISO tagged...