android
Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Default Cannot get player to connect to PC - please help!

Hey guys,
I have a problem with my Vision:M and am hoping someone here will be able to help. Starting from this morning, whenever I plug my player into my pc I hear the "ding dong" sound telling me it has been connected, but the screen does not go to "docked" it just stays on now playing.

If I go to Device Manager, my player is listed under 'portable devices' and has a yellow '!' icon over it. If I right click the player and go to properties it states "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

So I had a read though these forums and found 2 pieces of info.
First of all I went onto the Microsoft website and downloaded the Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit and installed it.

Secondly, I put in the CD that came with my Zen, right clicked on the player in device manager and clicked on update driver. I set it to search the CD in the drive, it found the driver, and installed it.

Then as if by magic, a lovely big logo saying "docked" appeared on the screen of my Zen and Device Manager stated that the player was working properly. Problem solved....or so I thought.

After about 30 seconds, the screen on my Zen just suddenly went back to now playing. I looked in Device Manager, and it had gone back to "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" with the yellow '!'

So I installed the driver again, and the screen then went back to "docked" again....and then 30 seconds later it just went back to the now playing screen yet again.

I have tried this process about 10 times now and it keeps repeating itself. I've had the player for about 2 years with ZERO problems until today....why all of a sudden has this happened? Does anyone have any advice as to what to do?

I live in the UK so my player is the European model if that makes any difference.

Many, many thanks in advance, if anyone can help me fix this I will be extremely grateful

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Something is interfering with the driver. What version of Windows and WMP is installed? From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
If recieving receiving "The device cannot start (code 10 or Code 18)" within Device Manager, you can try this registry entry change to fix this problem:

Possible Fix 1:

Warning: This fix involves editing the Windows Registry. Please try if you feel it is your last resort and any of the previous fixes have not worked. It is a good idea to back up the enteries you modify or delete.

1. Disconnect the Zen, if connected.

2. Run regedit (Click on the "Start" button and select "Run") and go to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

3. In the right hand panel, the key "(Default)" should say "Portable Devices".

4. Delete the Key “UpperFilters”.

5. Delete the Key “LowerFilters” (If present).

6. Reconnect the device .

This Registry change has been known to work on Windows XP SP2 only. I am not sure if it will work on other versions of Windows.

Possible Fix 2:

Check the Control Panel > Admin Tools> Services for a service called LibUSB-Win32 and disable it. This service has been confirmed to cause this error with the Zen's driver. See threads here, here, and here.

Possible Fix 3:

A corrupt database on the Zen has also been known to cause this. In theory, the Zen will react by not communicating during enumeration (loading the driver with the OS) to prevent any further possible corruption. To correct this corruption, boot the Zen into Recovery Mode and select a Cleanup from the menu. Along this same theory, if a Cleanup doesn't seem to repair the database, the corruption could also be more severe and exist on the file system level. Too correct a file system corruption, boot the Zen into Recovery Mode and select Format from the menu. A Format will rebuild the file system WARNING: A Format will erase all files on the Zen, so keep that in mind.
Check those possible fixes first and let me know....

Zen FAQ

Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Something is interfering with the driver. What version of Windows and WMP is installed? From the Zen FAQ:

Check those possible fixes first and let me know....
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Windows Media Player 11.

I don't really want to try Possible fix 1 (I'm not very technical and worried about messing with stuff like that. Besides it says it only works for service pack 2, and I have service pack 3.

I have tried Possible Fix 2 and it didn't work.

I have tried Possible Fix 3 and it didn't work.

I really don't understand why this has suddenly happened. I have had the player for over 2 years and it has always worked PERFECTLY.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by siblades; 01-17-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Did you even have the LibUSB-Win32 service? Since it has been working just fine for so long and it just recenty started doing this, work backwards. What changes have been made on the computer? What was recently installed; SP3, WMP11, any updates, etc.?

Zen FAQ

Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
No problem. Did you even have the LibUSB-Win32 service? Since it has been working just fine for so long and it just recenty started doing this, work backwards. What changes have been made on the computer? What was recently installed; SP3, WMP11, any updates, etc.?
Yes LibUSB-Win32 was there in the services menu. I disabled it and it did not fix the problem. It was called libUsb-Win32 - Daemon, Version 0.1.10.1 if that helps.

I tried the registry thing after all and the key "(Default)" is type REG_SZ and under data it says "(value not set)." It is not labeled as "Portable Devices" like you suggested. Also the keys "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" did not exist.

Latest changes I have made are in order: Installed Service Pack 3. Uninstalled Norton. Installed AVG Free Antivirus.

As far as I know I have not tried to connect the player since installing SP 3 until now. Could this be the problem?

Thanks very much for your help

EDIT - I have just noticed...When I do the "update driver" process and the player becomes docked for all of 30 seconds, it shows up as "MTP device" under Device Manager. However, when after it stops working after the 30 seconds, it changes to "Creative Zen Vision:M" under device manager with the yellow "!" over it. Don't know if this makes a difference but I thought I would post it just in case.

I have also just uninstalled and reinstalled all my USB controllers, and uninstalled WMP back to version 10, and then reinstalled WMP11 again. None of this has made any difference

Last edited by siblades; 01-17-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Like I said, I would start backwards.... try uninstalling AVG then see if that makes a difference. If not, then try uninstalling SP3. Have you thought about uninstalling what ever program that installed the LibUSB-Win32 service?

Zen FAQ

Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Like I said, I would start backwards.... try uninstalling AVG then see if that makes a difference. If not, then try uninstalling SP3. Have you thought about uninstalling what ever program that installed the LibUSB-Win32 service?
I have no idea how I would uninstall SP3 and I wouldn't really want to to be honest.
Uninstalling AVG hasn't made a difference.
I have no idea where LibUSB-Win32 came from...how do I find out?

Many thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siblades View Post
I have no idea how I would uninstall SP3 and I wouldn't really want to to be honest.
Why not? If it is the cause of you issue...... See here. It can always be reinstalled later.

Quote:
I have no idea where LibUSB-Win32 came from...how do I find out?
The LibUSB-Win32 is a port of the USB library libusb to the Windows operating. It can be used by many different programs like emulation software or even a PS3 controller software (I recall is popular for using it). Have you tried executing the uninstall file for it:

"C:\Program Files\LibUSB-Win32\unins000.exe"

Maybe also try:

Go to C:\Windows\System32 and delete libusb0.dll and libusbd-nt.exe

Zen FAQ

Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:

The LibUSB-Win32 is a port of the USB library libusb to the Windows operating. It can be used by many different programs like emulation software or even a PS3 controller software (I recall is popular for using it). Have you tried executing the uninstall file for it:

"C:\Program Files\LibUSB-Win32\unins000.exe"
You my friend are an absolute genius and savior! I cannot believe after everything I have tried, something so simple as uninstalling a programme could fix the problem.

Everything working perfectly now. And yes...I did install a PS3 controller software, so that's where it has come from. I never use it though so really no loss at all! I'm so glad I didn't try uninstalling SP3 first haha.

Thanks so much again

Old 01-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
You my friend are an absolute genius and savior! I cannot believe after everything I have tried, something so simple as uninstalling a programme could fix the problem.

Everything working perfectly now. And yes...I did install a PS3 controller software, so that's where it has come from. I never use it though so really no loss at all! I'm so glad I didn't try uninstalling SP3 first haha.

Thanks so much again
No problem! Happy to hear you got it worked out. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ

Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Hello,

Even i am facing the same problem..

Laptop not able to detect Zen Vision M :60 GB. I am using the same Windows XP SP2 with WMP10.

Would you please help me as i have done all the changes mentioned ..

Regards
Sonu