android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 04-23-2009, 01:31 AM

Exclamation I'm wanting to buy a Fuze, please check this bundle out for me.

We would like to buy my brother a MP3 player for his class trip. His friends all have IPOD's which are too much money plus there's the possibility of it being stolen or lost on this trip. This would be our first MP3 Player. After searching for awhile today, I've come to the conclusion that the Sansa Clip and Fuze are great choices for under $100. He wants it to be able to play videos though so I guess the Fuze is a good choice.

If we ordered online, I'm not sure it would arrive in time so I was looking at stores in my area. This is the cheapest I've come across and it's comparable to online stores that I've seen.

It's a 2GB model but we don't have that much music and microSD cards could get us all the room we would need. It comes with Skull Candy earplugs which might be a bit better than the standard ones? This bundle is the same price as the standard players I've seen. It is a a regular Fuze right, I'm not missing anything?

Here's the link from Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218010175671

Would it be better than this Sony Walkman that we were previously looking at?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10652339

Also, if you know of any stores where it is marginally cheaper, either online or not let me know. Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-23-2009, 01:40 AM

Definitely get the Fuze!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

get the fuze. the skullcandies are pretty crap, but are slightly better than the bundled earbuds...

Old 04-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

First off, welcome to abi, hope you enjoy your visit … if the fuze is for your son, you might want to turn him onto the site and fuze forums, click here, which would be a great resource for any of his fuze questions. I read that you don’t have much time for on line, but if you decide to go that route for the same price of $59.95 you can get the 4gb fuze from amazon market place, giving you 2 additional onboard GB’s and avoid the skullJunk all together.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Fuze rules

Skull candies suck.

nuff said.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:53 PM

By all means get a Fuze, it's a great player.

Depending on what kind of trip it is, you might actually want to use the stock earbuds or the bundled skullcandy stuff, and get more pricey high-quality phones later when they're not going to go with you on a trip and be at risk of being lost, stolen, or just handled roughly enough that something happens to them.

Welcome to ABi!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:00 PM

I'd get the Fuze just for the microSDHC expandability. I LOVE MY FUZE!
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Are you sure your brother will like the Fuze even though all his friends have ipods? I am asking this because often enough, students want to get what everybody else has. The Fuze has better sound and has more features, but sometimes this is not good enough for some people.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Are you sure your brother will like the Fuze even though all his friends have ipods? I am asking this because often enough, students want to get what everybody else has. The Fuze has better sound and has more features, but sometimes this is not good enough for some people.
Thanks for all the replies people. He would maybe want an Ipod but he knows they aren't an option and he seems to know you are just paying extra for the name. I think he will like the Fuze. He's not all that big into music and as long as he has one that can play videos I think he's set.

We will have to pick up the 2gb model for him because of time restraints before his trip but it will be more than enough, especially with the MicroSDHCs.

I just ordered the 4gb for myself, though. I'll probably just use my V-moda bass freqs that came with an item I purchased awhile ago. I use them on my Sony Walkman CD player (yeah, thats what I still use ) and they sound good to me.

I think my brother really wants to get a movie on his player and I'm concerned that it is too complicated for me to figure out in time. Also, what programs do you suggest using for downloading music, etc? The subscription plans seem pretty nice but I'd like to own some songs. The Zune marketplace lets you keep 10 songs I believe. Would this program work for the Fuze? Do other programs offer you songs to keep? Sorry if this section doesn't belong here but I was just in the software forum and I'd like to know just what you Fuze owners use.

Last edited by b_ee; 04-25-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ee View Post
I think my brother really wants to get a movie on his player and I'm concerned that it is too complicated for me to figure out in time.
Easiest way by far to do it: Download and install the Sansa Mediaconverter, pick the movie and convert it through that app, then put it on the Fuze. Fair warning: No guarantees on video quality.

Quote:
Also, what programs do you suggest using for downloading music, etc? The subscription plans seem pretty nice but I'd like to own some songs. The Zune marketplace lets you keep 10 songs I believe. Would this program work for the Fuze? Do other programs offer you songs to keep? Sorry if this section doesn't belong here but I was just in the software forum and I'd like to know just what you Fuze owners use.
Magnatune in my sig.

It's an independent company for artists that don't want to sign with big labels and lose both the rights to their own music and see someone else take all the profits, so if you're looking for bands that you've heard on the radio, Magnatune is not for you. If you want to discover new bands though, it is a great place.

Amazon sells DRM-free music, if you want to go that route.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Easiest way by far to do it: Download and install the Sansa Mediaconverter, pick the movie and convert it through that app, then put it on the Fuze. Fair warning: No guarantees on video quality.
Unfortunately it's a 2 step process to get video on your Fuze. Step 1: Getting video into compatible Sansa Media Converter format then... Step 2: Running video through SMC to get it on your Fuze. For Step 1 I use Internet Video Converter...free and does a good job.

Since your on a time constraint (b_ee) then it may be a little steep learning curve to get your first video on the Fuze.

Last edited by sansaguy; 04-23-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 PM

Do you have a local Radioshack? They usually have all three sizes(Gb-wise) and various colors in stock..all under $100. All the Fuzes we in my family(5 total) came from there. That could possibly solve your time-constraint problem.....

Old 04-24-2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks everyone. We'll we got him the Fuze. I have a concern though. I noticed with my earphones plugged in I had to turn it to get a good connection to hear things correctly. He didn't have this problem so I figured it was just my pair. Then a bit later he said while watching the video he had to turn them to hear correctly. Is this abnormal? It will be a shame if we have to return it

Old 04-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Before you return it, try with a different set of earphones, if you have any available. I used the stock earphones while my Sony ones were off on warranty repair, and I never had this problem.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. We'll we got him the Fuze. I have a concern though. I noticed with my earphones plugged in I had to turn it to get a good connection to hear things correctly. He didn't have this problem so I figured it was just my pair. Then a bit later he said while watching the video he had to turn them to hear correctly. Is this abnormal? It will be a shame if we have to return it
I'm sure you've already done this but push the jack in until you hear a 'click'. I won't say that the Fuze is prone to this but I have heard of people having jack problems.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 PM

Make sure you have them plugged all the way in. Push hard, the Fuze is known to have a very tight jack. It will loosen up some with use.

Last edited by tenzip; 04-24-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Sansaguy beat me to it.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 PM

Wow you guys are on the ball! Very quick lol. Well I'm slightly embarrassed to say that it wasn't in all the way. I had pushed it until it clicked but I found out it goes in even further so it just didn't have a good connect, phew!

Tags
fuze, sansa, skullcandy