android
Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 PM

Default I think I screwed up buying this...OR maybe not :-)

I thought that since the Clip and Fuze supported FLAC, the View would too, which it doesn't, correct? Does it support wav files? I have a Fuze, love it, but thought hay additional video support and all, I couldn't lose, right? lol

I have an 8GB (4 internal, 4 on a card) Fuze, and it is just about full of FLAC files.

Anyways I have an 8GB View coming from Buy.com and if it atleast played back wav's I would buy a 16GB micro SDHC card and slim down my collection to fit it all. Actually might only need a 8GB card in addition to the 8GB built in...naw 16GB would give me room. Anyways .wav's or no?

Sandisk you are full of morons not giving the View FLAC! JMHO of course, .

Oh I playback mostly over three different systems, Home Studio, Living Room, and Theater, no ear buds here. If you double blinded me I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a 320 kbs MP3 and a FLAC file, but since no one has done so I am going with FLAC as it seems like the mids and highs are slightly better coming from the Fuze. So I could go back to 320 Kbs MP3's if that is my only option, or carry two players with me Fuze for audio, view for video....ugh.

Last edited by SRR1138; 05-08-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR1138 View Post
Sandisk you are full of morons not giving the View FLAC! JMHO of course,
No it makes sense. They didn't add FLAC support to their other players until well after they stopped updating the View firmware.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
No it makes sense. They didn't add FLAC support to their other players until well after they stopped updating the View firmware.
Does it play wav's though? I could live with that.

My player: Black View 8GB with an 8GB Transcend class 6 card, with clear hard case.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Does it play wav's though? I could live with that.
Anyone? Guess I will find out for sure when it comes.

Or someone just tell me to: listen to MP3's encoded at 320kbs, and be happy.

Thanks guys.

My player: Black View 8GB with an 8GB Transcend class 6 card, with clear hard case.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Anyone? Guess I will find out for sure when it comes.

Or someone just tell me to: listen to MP3's encoded at 320kbs, and be happy.

Thanks guys.
You can turn .flacs into .wavs and the View will play them. They get moved into unknown artist though with no tag information and the files are ridiculous in size.

I am content to go with mp3s at 320 kps. The quality is excellent and you can have tag information and the View will play them. The size is generally 1/2 the size of a .flac. I'd prefer to be able to play .flac but this is fine.

I use medicoder audio to do the conversions FYI.

I don't think you screwed up - the View still has it's uses. The video, once you figure it out, is pretty darn good. The Video out ability allows me to bring a lot of movies to watch while travelling and even in the hotel room on it's TV. The Fuze, IMO, is better if you are only in it for the audio.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM

I have all the CD's so I can just rip them to .wav's with Nero. IF that is what I end up doing. Since I have a fuze, this is going to be a toss up, on which player I use, and which one I give to my wife. I did buy a 8GB card today from Amazon, and we already have a 4GB card and a 1GB card. The 1GB is probably going to stay in my wifes Samsung Two Step cell phone, which does have one minor advantage it has two very small speakers for listening to MP3's when headphones/ear buds/stereo systems are not around. Wish the Sansa's had speakers, and I don't include the shaker as a real player, although somewhat geeky, it is a odd creation I would never buy, but would take if someone gave me one for free lol. So I can make the view 16GB (with the 8GB card I just bought) and have wav's on there, yes takes up lots of space but I only have ?25? or so CDs in my current rotation and that could even be slimed down to 18 or so, that would easily fit onto 16GB with room left over for some youtube videos, and what not. Then I keep the Fuze as is with 4GB built in and with the 4GB card. So 8GB fuze. I do already have a audio/video cable for the View that is coming, Sansa's connector to three RCA. Hope that works out, as it doesn't work with the Fuze.

Oh and if you read this far, I am giving one of them to my wife in addition to her phone because she runs down her phone battery ALL the time listening to MP3's at work. And she would rather have a dedicated player.

Anyways thanks Krack_baby, much apreciated info.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM

The microsd expansion on the View is buggy and I gave up on it. I'd probably go with mp3s.

As far as speakers Buy.com has the Altec Lansing iM413s on sale for $40 shipped. Works with the View and the Fuze. I plan to buy one. I've got an e200 series that I can use with it too.

http://www.buy.com/prod/altec-lansin...208448366.html

Good luck SRR1138

Old 05-07-2009, 06:01 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=937254 <--- my systems I currently use the Fuze with. I don't need speakers like the Altec's I may want to get a couple docking stations with remote control though, I understand there used to be one from SanDisk, and maybe a Griffin, I forget what if the Griffin had a remote. Right now I have a wire going from my reciever in the theater to the center chair in the front row. It works, though not as cool as a dock. I would be more interested in a dock for my up stairs system, because I have the Sansa sit in one of the drawers of the end tables and if a song comes on that I don't want I have to get up...

So sign me up for a dock with remote :-). Two of them. This is getting expensive, but addicting none the less.

Although if I can't even get external memory to work on the View....a Zen maybe in my future. Hmph. But I will certainly give it a go and see what it all can do.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Got my view today, so far so good. I played the BBC video on my TV, looked fuzzy, but I expected that. Will have to see how others look down the road. I put some .wav files on they sound great, as they should. Now I just need a SanDisk dock with remote, and a clear plastic case for the View, and I guess I would be set. I have a wall charger, car charger from my Fuze purchases, so I can't imagine what else I really need, oh yah I need the 8GB card to come in from Amazon.

I changed the thread tittle to reflect my new views on the View.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Cool dude. The microsd thing never works for me. I kept getting duplicates on my files. Baiscally stuff would show up 2-5 times. This was especially true with videas. Eventually I just gave up.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:08 PM

It is working so far, but I only have 2 songs on there and no duplicates. I am just trying it out with my 4GB card, and yes I formated it before I took it out of the Fuze. Crossing my fingers it works for more then just two songs, lol.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 PM

Got more songs on there, one doubled up on the card I have in it, but I was still playing at that point, well really I am still just playing around, till that 8GB card comes in. Got a couple youtube videos on there, the wife was saying cool to the fact that they are on a little pocket device like the view. Of course for me though this is more of a .wav player for me then videos, but because I can put videos on there, I will! Now I just need to get a personal home video on there, it is called the Star Wars Holiday Special, had it converted over from tape to DVD a while ago. Probably should get our wedding video there, but really who watchs their wedding video any ways, lol. I think we watched it twice, and we have been married 15 years come Aug.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 PM

Thats why I just get married at the court house...don't even have a video. I know I would get screamed at for hiding it and never looking at the thing. How is the View treating you? I considered it a month ago before my interests moved on.

I'm hoping down the road that Sansa comes out with a player that has 3-3.5 inch screen and sound chip of Clip/Fuze or better. It would bring in a lot of money...

Old 05-09-2009, 12:11 AM

I say the line out of the View seems to be just as good as the Fuze going out of the headphone jack into both of my main systems. Systems are linked to above in one of my posts, find the link and read the whole thread. But really if there is a difference I find it hard to hear it. That comparison being FLAC's on the Fuze and wav's on the view, which should just be a null comparison, so I am just sayin' the files are different, lol. Equipment is different though, so what exactly is different? DAC's?