android
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 PM

Exclamation Help with my Fuze's scroll wheel

Hey People. I'd really like to figure out if this can be fixed or not before I go out and order a new fuze. Stupid freakin' me, I went and got my Fuze all wet and whatnot and it wouldn't turn on. So I got pretty pissed off with myself almost threw it on the floor but realized I woulda made it much worse, so decided not to. After a few hours, I decided to give it another shot AND IT TURNED ON... but it was a blank white screen. So I got pissed again and decided to solve the problem myself. BAD IDEA! I opened it up after looking at the disassembly, tinkered around not doing much, and looked to see if anything was jammed, wet, etc. Nothing. So I turn it on again AND IT WORKS FINE NOW, but I turn it back off, put the faceplate back on with the ribbon inserted and tried it. I noticed the left, right, and select buttons were working but the point of all this is that the freaking scroll wheel, the thing I need to navigate with, doesn't work at all. But wheen the screen goes black and I turn the wheel, the display comes back. So WTF! It seems as though it works but it just won't navigate! Any help is HIGHLY appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

This happened to me when I didn't properly reinsert the ribbon cable. It needs to be in quite tightly for everything to work.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM

Hey cool a rockbox dev responded. But thanks for the advice I'll try that.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 PM

Unhappy

I've been trying my luck the whole day attempting to insert the ribbon cable in as tight as possible, but not forcing. I'm stuck. And if I don't fix this, my player is screwed and I have to get another. I need methods. And good ones too. If anyone has a good method for getting the ribbon back into the connector correctly, I'll be grateful. Thanks again.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I used a combination of a very long, sharp pair of tweasers and a pair of surgical forceps. It was not easy and took me a number of tries to get all buttons and the wheel to work.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

maybe it needs to dry out more