android
Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I must say, I love my S9, but I'll be damned at this point if I'll sell my Touch. The S9 needs to be able to play games while also simultaneously playing music. When this occurs, you'll see an ad for a Touch 32gb for sale in the "Classifieds" section.

As for the P3, it's equal to the S9 in most aspects, so it's really just a matter of aesthetics. The only advantage the S9 has is video out, and the P3 does H.264.

Pick your poison, each is excellent, and WAYYYYY cheaper for 32gb than the Touch.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM

The Darkside brings up a good point: does the P3 have video out? I thought it did...

Old 05-19-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I must say, I love my S9, but I'll be damned at this point if I'll sell my Touch. The S9 needs to be able to play games while also simultaneously playing music. When this occurs, you'll see an ad for a Touch 32gb for sale in the "Classifieds" section.

As for the P3, it's equal to the S9 in most aspects, so it's really just a matter of aesthetics. The only advantage the S9 has is video out, and the P3 does H.264.

Pick your poison, each is excellent, and WAYYYYY cheaper for 32gb than the Touch.
I couldn't agree more with you! People tend to spend so much time debating whether to get x over y, or y over x that by the time they are going to get either one, z is here and the whole dilemma starts over again.
The S9 is a fantastic player, fulfills all the wishes of anyone who seeks amazing sound and video playback. The P3 does the same. Like Darkside noted, you cannot go wrong with either of the two. Ultimately I chose the P3 over the S9 because I wanted it more. It is that simple. I could have purchased the S9 several times, but each time I opted to wait it out for my the P3. To me personally, the P3 looks aesthetically more pleasing than the S9 (though not by much) and the external speaker was another selling point as well. When I am in bed and want to fall asleep, I just let the music be played through the external speaker. If Cowon ever releases a S9+ with an included external speakers, than I will have to grap one as well. Either way, it seems silly to me that adherents of either the P3 or the S9 argue about which one is better. That is a personal choice anyway!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Banned

Amen.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Yesterday a friend of mine offered me his Brand New iPod Touch 2nd gen. 32gb for only US$300. It's a gift and he didn't want it cause he already has one.

Man. This is torture.

I really REALLY want to get a 32gb P3 rather than an iPod. But this offer seems too good to be true...

I'm getting really impatient waiting for P3 to be out on the store...

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 AM

I dunno how much a new 32gb touch costs but if its a lot more then $300 buy it then sell it on for a decent price lol. then get your P3 as apple suck.

I dont see whats wrong with a 16gb P3. think, do you really really need 32gb. mines only 8gb even.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:20 AM

I plan on getting a P3 next month sometime...I hope.

Never going to buy another apple player...never want to ever use itunes again.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
Never going to buy another apple player...never want to ever use itunes again.
Noob question... as I've never had an iPod so I've never used iTunes... what's wrong with it anyway? Howcome I read so many complaints about it. If it is THAT ugly, then howcome iPod is so popular? What's really wrong with iTunes anyway that you seem to hate it so much?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Another way to compare the P3 and the S9: Bluetooth playback of lossless files.

I've got lossless WMA and FLAC files now on my P3 and S9. They Both will play the FLAC files without choking. The S9 plays WMA files with no choking on the files, but system response is slowed down. Still usable though. The P3 stutters when starting the same WMA file but will play it after the screen times out. If I tap the screen the playback breaks up. ANY interaction with the P3 while the WMA files are playing will interrupt the play.

My conclusion? The P3's processor and programming isn't capable of the same performance the S9 can handle.

This was an extreme test, but I hope it's useful. If you expect either to be your main player for a few years, and you're moving to lossless music formats, the S9 seems to have the potential to keep up and the P3 doesn't. The WMA files are 1152 kbps 44kHz. My FLAC files are 914 kbps 44kHz.

Last edited by Olley; 05-21-2009 at 07:12 AM.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenida View Post
Noob question... as I've never had an iPod so I've never used iTunes... what's wrong with it anyway? Howcome I read so many complaints about it. If it is THAT ugly, then howcome iPod is so popular? What's really wrong with iTunes anyway that you seem to hate it so much?
The main reason I dislike it as much as I do is because you have to sync to itunes if you want to add music to the player. In my opinion it’s incredibly inconvenient when you have other option on other player to just drag and drop.

Plus my hard drive crashed a while back and I lost a lot of music I didn’t have backed up…however I did have that music on my ipod. But Apple/iTunes doesn’t allow you to take the music off your ipod (at least I didn’t find a way to do it) and I had to download another program that would extract the music off of it. It was a major pain in the @$$ as I had to go through about 5 steps for each song….when you have tons of music it’s a very long process.

And then you have music with DRM that you bought back in the day and the only way to get the music without the DRM is to pay $3.00 a CD to Apple even though you have already paid for it the first time.

Plus they clearly don’t consider music quality to be the main goal. I mean they have an incredibly powerful toy that could have had amazing SQ but they care a lot more about thing like making people pay for music a 2nd time to get rid of DRM and applications like games and crap like that.

So yeah…I’m not a fan.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
My conclusion? The P3's processor and programming isn't capable of the same performance the S9 can handle.

This was an extreme test, but I hope it's useful. If you expect either to be your main player for a few years, and you're moving to lossless music formats, the S9 seems to have the potential to keep up and the P3 doesn't. The WMA files are 1152 kbps 44kHz. My FLAC files are 914 kbps 44kHz.
How do you know it's not capable? Maybe it's just a matter of firmware.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned

Apple sucks, period.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
How do you know it's not capable? Maybe it's just a matter of firmware.
Off the top of my head, the S9 does have a bit more grunt under the hood, which helps, but thats not to say it can't be patched up with future Firmware releases. I mean, look how much they improved video playback!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll give the P3 another test with 2.14 firmware once it's finished downloading. Some things can be optimized with better code, but there is a top end to what the processors can ulitimately do. When I did the test with the last/latest firmware on both devices the P3 couldn't handle it.

EDIT: I've tested it with 2.14, and there is no improvement with the P3's ability to play lossless WMA files.

Last edited by Olley; 05-20-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjrock View Post
Off the top of my head, the S9 does have a bit more grunt under the hood, which helps, but thats not to say it can't be patched up with future Firmware releases. I mean, look how much they improved video playback!
The P3 may have the advantage in the long run, as the OS is straight up FLASH based on the S9. This slows the player down from where it could be, speed and processor wise(takes a lot to run this crap). Not to say it can't be streamlined in the future, but the P3 has the potential for more speed ATM.