android
Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 PM

Default Is the Sound Any Different Than P2?

I am an avid Samsung fan, own a Samsung LCD TV, and bought the P2 weeks after it came out. I still use P2 extensively as my portable source of music player.

However, with the new mp3 players out in the market, I felt the urge to keep up with the current technology and now looking for an upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, the P2 packs a very nice sound quality, but I am looking for sound signature that is different than the P2. You can say that I've grown tired of the beautiful sound the P2 produces, as weird as that may sound. I am just looking for something new, that's all.

When you guys first listened to your P3's, did you notice similar sound as the P2 or was there any drastic change? I've heard the sound has improved, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound similar.

I'm leaning on buying the Cowon S9 because I know it will produce a whole set of different sounds (not saying it's better, just different). But as a loyal Samsung fan, I would want to stay with their products as much as possible. This is only, of course if the P3 has made enough changes from the P2. From the looks of it; however, I don't see much difference between the two exception of a couple gimmicks the P3 implemented (Haptic Feedback, External speaker, Widget come to mind).

So, for the previous P2 owners, and now P3 wielders, does the player remind you a lot of what P2 was, or does it have its own identity in terms of sound quality? I'm basically comparing DNSE 2.0 to 3.0.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was never interested in the DNSE settings. I have both, although I've only had the P3 for a week or so. It'll handle FLAC and Ogg files which the P2 won't. If you like the DNSE settings the P3 lets them work over bluetooth where the P2 doesn't.

The external speaker, although not any use for music, comes in handy with games, podcasts and text-to-speech files. Also not a bad way to share a video.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:15 PM

Hmm... how are the sounds different on flat settings then? I don't really care for the other extra features, only looking for a different sound.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

With the same headphones the same songs sound the same to me. I also have an S9 and it's unaltered sound is little more detailed to my ears.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 AM

If you don't mess with the DNSE settings, does that mean you don't tweak the EQ on S9 either? You must have a pair of very high quality phones.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, I use some Sennheiser HD595s for over ear and my Zune premiums for in-ear. The Zunes may not be the best out there, but they are the best of my collection for in-ear. No I don't mess with EQ settings on the S9. Of course I've played with them on all three players, but prefer the sound as it came from the CD.