android
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM

Default Limit to number of video files on Pilot?

I have a bunch of video files on my pilot and noticed that when I added a couple more to my external SD card they did not show up, yet if I add them to my internal drive they do. My external drive had 19 video files on it while the internal only had 4.

I can still play the files via file explorer, they just don't show up in the video list. So is there a limit to how many files it will recognize for each drive? I haven't played with the internal memory to see if the same effect happens once I reach 19 files there as well.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM

Well I guess no one has enough videos on their device to come across this! If someone has more than 19 videos on external (or internal) memory and hasn't come across this problem then it would be nice to know as well.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 AM

I have 30 on my internal....No problems so far.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 PM

I have 42 on a sd card. No problems.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM

"42" what an answer to the ultimate question... (of life the universe and everything).

How big are the video files?

Anyone know what ever happened to Digitaldel? It looks like Bestbuy dropped Insignia MP3 players off the map.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 AM

I had 28 videos in total. I put them all on the internal memory and they all showed up fine. I then copied them all to the external memory card and again it only showed up 19 of them although I could see and play the others fine in the file explorer.

So I backed up all my files and reformatted the memory card. I then copied all 28 files to it and they showed up fine but I then copied another 2 new video files to it and again they don't show up.

I have tried changing the USB mode from file & folder to automatic as well as copying them using the media converter instead of just dragging and dropping the files on the device. All to no avail. It seems that after I did the format and copied the files, whatever controls the video view, gets corrupted or something.

I also noticed my playlists don't seem to work on the external memory card either. I originally had some on the external card but when I copied them back they were no longer recognized as playlists. I can only create them on the internal memory. I spent time trying all sorts of things to fix these problems, but it got exhausting and tedious. The memory card is fine and all files play back perfectly via the file explorer.

It should just work! This is a great device but it's things like this that make me realise it's not quite a polished device.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 AM

Well I even swapped the memory card for a different one incase it was damaged or corrupt but still get the same result. I now have more than 19 files but if I add more files it fails to show up in the list. It seems that at some point, perhaps after format or somewhere it will allow me to copy all my video files but then something happens and it will no longer display any further copied files unless I copy them to the internal memory. I give up!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:46 PM

For video files I've just gotten use to exclusively using the file explorer rather than the built-in database because of the hit or miss nature of the database to recognize the file.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM

Yes the file explorer feature is a nice backup feature for when this kind of thing occurs!

So far I haven't been able to spot any pattern as to why it will not recognize some files. I thought at one point it may have been because I had a couple of AVI files mixed in with mostly wmv files but that line of thinking went down a blind alley. It has nothing to do with any file format problem etc. as the very same files that it didn't show, it would show later after my messing around.

Well I guess as long as it still plays them, however I access them, that's the main thing!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 PM

That shouldn't be a problem. I have a folder for southpark and a folder for movies and A playlist folder for Artist lyrics on external drive. I have about 60 southpark videos, and 10 movies on my external.. On my internal.. I set a folder for music videos, regular videos, and animation videos. All together adds up about 50 videos on my internal. Iono, but it seems to be fitting a bunch of movies and music and other things.. It's working normally, and it doesn't shows up limit or anything. Maybe do a system reformat, and that will clean out any bugs.