android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P3

Old 05-15-2009, 01:12 PM

its not a wide screen high deffinition tv but its more than suitable to watch movies and shows on. I watch episodes of family guy and the big bang theory on my breaks in work during nightshifts and get funny looks from people wondering why im sat there laughing to myself.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM

I'm going to do one of my famous videos (out of focus, shakey, all over the place) in a lil bit showing what I saw last night. It didn't seem like it was just the higher pixel density...even though that was there too (still counts, Samsung could of used a higher resolution of they wanted to). The colors seemed to be more right on, even though there is less of them, and just more vibrant and eye-popping all in all.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
Hows the sound though? I read in a review yesterday once you use a good headset you can tell it's SQ isn't real good. true? Give me your pros and cons...
Cons: It's big. Pros: It's got a big screen and plays a slew of video formats.

It's not my best sounding player, although if I had to do a blind test I might have trouble telling the difference. in other word it's audio output with good headphones (Sennheiser HD595s) and good quality source files is good enough to please my ears. There are only 9 EQ presets (one of which is "normal"), but they all have a nice effect on the sound, and are useful with their related genre of music.

The UI is a nice change from the typical touchscreen UI. Every app seems finished, with every setting relating to the app available withing that app.

No Bluetooth. Shame. Other than that you should trust your ears and not any reviewer who has only tested it with the OEM earbuds.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
A 3" screen is OK. 3.3" is better. 4.3" is even better. If you're buying one mainly for movies I suggest the iRiver P7.
I just recently tested an iRiver P7. It's extremely sensitive when it comes to file types. e.g. when I load in some FLV files, it plays some but it doesn't play some.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenida View Post
I just recently tested an iRiver P7. It's extremely sensitive when it comes to file types. e.g. when I load in some FLV files, it plays some but it doesn't play some.
Given that FLV files are not listed as supported, you're lucky to have any play at all. Look at the properties of each file and see what is difference between the ones that play and the ones that don't. Then stop putting the type that don't on the P7.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Given that FLV files are not listed as supported, you're lucky to have any play at all. Look at the properties of each file and see what is difference between the ones that play and the ones that don't. Then stop putting the type that don't on the P7.

That's the thing. FLV was listed as supported.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:38 PM

What good is a 4.3" screen if the player is very picky when it comes to file types. That's the problem with P7. I've tried one, and the reviews were right, the player IS very picky when it comes to file types. It plays some, it doesn't play some.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, so you've tried a P7. I have one. So far every video (AVIs, MP4s, WMVs) I've thrown on it play. Doesn't seem picky to me. It wasn't billed as a play-everything device. Some formats will need to be converted. Show me where iriver states the P7 supports FLV files please. "was listed" means nothing if the listing party wasn't the manufacturer. It also means nothing if it was a pre-release spec, as they are always "may change later" marketing guesses.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Show me where iriver states the P7 supports FLV files please.
Just go to www.iriver.com
These are the video file types listed there : AVI, MP4, DAT, MPG, WMV, RM/RMVB, 3GP,K3G, FLV

I was really considering to buy a P7 because of its FLV support and 4.3" screen. But then I load like 20 FLV files in it and the player only plays some of them.

Now I think I'm just going to wait for 32GB P3....

Old 05-18-2009, 04:02 PM

the P7 uses a rockchip processor from china, there are hundreds of them in china using the same chip, FLV support is really youTube or any site that also uses the same settings as youTube to create their videos, like any viedo files FLV is the container, inside the FLV container can be different

also it sould be due to how you are downloading them, i used firefox with download helper and suddenly FLV were not working on the player, they were before (not the P7 but several other rockchip based players), tried another FLV downloader and all was back to normal, not sure what it was that caused the problem

so yes, FLV support is picky as they adhere to one type (maybe 2) of FLV files

Old 05-25-2009, 01:49 PM

how does the P3's screen compare to the itouch for movies?

Old 05-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ggRoller View Post
how does the P3's screen compare to the itouch for movies?
The Touch has more screen area. It is 480 x 320 as compared to the P3's 480 x 272. The Touch is 3.5" diagonally compared to 3" diagonally for the P3. You can also get a cable that will send video on the Touch to a TV. While the 16/9 aspect ratio of the P3 fits widescreen movies most of the time, the aspect of the Touch seems to sit right in the middle of 4/3 and 16/9, and stretches either to fill it's screen. The P3 supports more file formats though.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 AM

It's not as good for movies...not in any category I could think of. It's better for sound though and that does make the movie experience a lot better. I enjoyed the sound of movies on the P3 as much as any expensive surround sound system.

You know as much as I am keeping to 16:9 ratio of all my screens....mp3 players, phones, laptop, tv, etc. I actually like the iPod Touch ratio more in the end. For me a taller screen makes it feel bigger...so a 3.5 inch 16:9 screen would seem smaller to me than the Touch screen even though it isn't.