android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon iAudio X5

Old 10-03-2006, 04:06 AM

Default Anyone else but me have problems with battery life with ogg?

I love my X5. I really, really do. (Except for that godawful subpack. Dumbest idea ever.)

But is anyone else having problems with the battery when playing ogg vorbis? I mean, I'm supposed to have about 14 hours; I barely crest 9 on good days. And I notice that when it's not charged and being used, the battery actually drains itself when the player's off.

I might be switching to the XL if this keeps up.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 AM

Hi,
I'm new here on the ABI forums myself because I have some questions myself.

But I can answer your question easily: The filetype has nothing to do with battery life. The only thing that affects battery time detrimentally is how often and long the display is on.
When files (of any kind) are being played, all that's happening is disc access.

If you feel your battery life is way too short, go into "Settings" and reconfigure your display so that it goes dark sooner, and you can also back off on the display's brightness settings as well. You don't usually need it to be on the brightest setting.

Don't be too hard on Cowon for the subpack because having to install all the inputs that are now on the subpack into the X5 case itself would require that the X5 be larger.
I'm willing to bet that at some future time when components become even more miniaturized, the X5 and all the other players will continue to get smaller.

ESS

Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Technically/statistically Ogg Vorbis does take more processing power to decode than MP3. Usually, it should be negligible.

If it really bugs you, you could install Rockbox on the X5 - it provides more efficient battery usage for MP3 and Ogg decoding. (Disclaimer: it might void your warranty, though.)

Maybe your battery is going bad? Mine doesn't drain much while turned off.

Here's how to take proper care of Li-Ion batteries: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/