android
Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOehser View Post
Ummm, I've seen this stated before, but, I run the newest Rockbox on my e280, it is great, but, I have a 4gb SDHC card, which DOES NOT work... EVEN WITH Rockbox... Am I missing some further trick???
its microSDHC and it does work. Start troubleshooting.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-31-2008, 08:51 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
if your getting a card try to get an 8GB (class 6) microSDHC card. I got one (with a reader) for Christmas and noticed a big difference even over the class 4 card I had, so much so that I'll never go back to a slower card especially when it comes to using these cards with audio or video.

If you don't already know these cards are speed rated. The number (inside a 3/4 circle) in the upper right corner identifies the class of the card. The higher the number the faster the card. A tad more expensive than slower cards but worth it IMO.
Thanks sansaguy,
That's very helpful to know. I'll look into it when at the big computer store next. Much appreciated.

Jonathan

Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
if your getting a card try to get an 8GB (class 6) microSDHC card. I got one (with a reader) for Christmas and noticed a big difference even over the class 4 card I had, so much so that I'll never go back to a slower card especially when it comes to using these cards with audio or video.

If you don't already know these cards are speed rated. The number (inside a 3/4 circle) in the upper right corner identifies the class of the card. The higher the number the faster the card. A tad more expensive than slower cards but worth it IMO.
Hello all. I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum about various things regarding the Sansa mp3 player and I've been very impressed with the amount of information and help this board gives to one another. One thing that caught my eye was the ability of expanding the capacity by adding an HC card. I have a stripped down Sansa E280r meaning I'm using it as is straight out of the box with no add-ons i.e. Rockbox and such. I believe I'm gonna take the plunge and add Rockbox plus buy a 16gb card which will be more than enough for me. My question is card speed. I've looked at several sites selling memory cards including Sandisk and Lexar and all I come up with is Class 2 in 16gb cards. Is card speed that critical or can I get by with Class 2? Am I gonna have any problems since I have a crapsody player? Any info is greatly appreciated and I can't wait to trick up the ole player.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 AM

I am not sure about the speed thing myself. I can only assume the higher speed cards operate at a higher speed. :-)
I am not able to answer any of your other questions as I am not that knowledgeable about all this. I consider myself simply a happy rockbox on Sansa e280 user.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool arrow View Post
Hello all. I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum about various things regarding the Sansa mp3 player and I've been very impressed with the amount of information and help this board gives to one another. One thing that caught my eye was the ability of expanding the capacity by adding an HC card. I have a stripped down Sansa E280r meaning I'm using it as is straight out of the box with no add-ons i.e. Rockbox and such. I believe I'm gonna take the plunge and add Rockbox plus buy a 16gb card which will be more than enough for me. My question is card speed. I've looked at several sites selling memory cards including Sandisk and Lexar and all I come up with is Class 2 in 16gb cards. Is card speed that critical or can I get by with Class 2? Am I gonna have any problems since I have a crapsody player? Any info is greatly appreciated and I can't wait to trick up the ole player.
16GB microSDHC cards are relatively new to the market so it could be a little while before you see them in a class 6. If it were me I wouldn't go below a class 4 because your naturally dealing with higher transfer rates when dealing with audio and especially video. I store all my music on my microSDHC card and when I had my music on my class 4 card I would get the occasional skipping of audio tracks and other minor buggy things. With my new 8GB class 6 card I experience none of this.

btw - since you have an e280R you realize that Rockbox installation will be different than a regular e200 version?. If my memory is correct you need to convert your e280R to a regular e280 first, then you will be able to put Rockbox on it. My advice is to search the threads on the subject and get as much info as you can before you do anything. It shouldn't be difficult as others here on ABI have done it.

Hope this helps..
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 AM

Ummm... guys, the class of an SD card refers to its write speed - read speeds are ridiculously high regardless of class, so it really doesnt make much difference what class the card is if youre just listening to music on it. Very important if youre using it in a camera, not so important in an mp3 player.

IIRC, the read speeds for a microSDHC card are around 10MB/sec (i.e. 80Mbits/sec), which is plenty if youre playing audio files (maximum bitrate for an mp3 is 320kbits/sec, heck, even a CD quality .wav is only 700kbits/sec) and should be fine for any video data you can throw at it too.

Anyway, I've been running rockbox with a sandisk 16GB microSDHC card since september - I just checked and it's only a class 2 but i havent had any problems with it whatsoever, no skipping or anything.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:40 PM

u suck my titties and u get a boner.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
16GB microSDHC cards are relatively new to the market so it could be a little while before you see them in a class 6. If it were me I wouldn't go below a class 4 because your naturally dealing with higher transfer rates when dealing with audio and especially video. I store all my music on my microSDHC card and when I had my music on my class 4 card I would get the occasional skipping of audio tracks and other minor buggy things. With my new 8GB class 6 card I experience none of this.

btw - since you have an e280R you realize that Rockbox installation will be different than a regular e200 version? If my memory is correct you need to convert your e280R to a regular e280 first, then you will be able to put Rockbox on it. My advice is to search the threads on the subject and get as much info as you can before you do anything. It shouldn't be difficult as others here on ABI have done it.

Hope this helps..
Yes, I recall reading someplace that Rhapsody players required special installation instructions. I've also read that e280r to e280 and vice versa conversion wasn't possible. I'll double check that and I'll make sure to follow instructions for the e280r. Thanks for the tip and I'll do some more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveybaby View Post
Ummm... guys, the class of an SD card refers to its write speed - read speeds are ridiculously high regardless of class, so it really doesnt make much difference what class the card is if youre just listening to music on it. Very important if youre using it in a camera, not so important in an mp3 player.

IIRC, the read speeds for a microSDHC card are around 10MB/sec (i.e. 80Mbits/sec), which is plenty if youre playing audio files (maximum bitrate for an mp3 is 320kbits/sec, heck, even a CD quality .wav is only 700kbits/sec) and should be fine for any video data you can throw at it too.

Anyway, I've been running rockbox with a sandisk 16GB microSDHC card since september - I just checked and it's only a class 2 but i havent had any problems with it whatsoever, no skipping or anything.
That was gonna be my next question and I believe you answered it before I asked it. As far as write speed is concerned, I have all the time in the world to get music files transferred. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:43 AM

I was looking at my daughters E250r that I bought factory reconditioned for about 25 bucks. When I checked the firmware version, low and behold, it's 1.0.18... ,not a rhapsody at all-I guess Sansa found an easy way to convert and I'm putting rockbox on her e250. My E260 with 4GB class two kicks butt with no issues whatsoever.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Default rockbox and SD cards and other things.

I just upgraded my E200 to rockbox and am liking it, I do miss the graphical menus though, can I get that back with a theme.

My E200 is I think V1, so with rockbox will an 8 gig Micro SD card work, or do I need a V2 E200.

One last thing how do I change the SD disk mode with rock box, you know the MTF, MSC thing. I want to be able to switch it back so I can have access to the memory on the E200, or is that the trade off for rockbox. Where about on the rockbox menu can I switch between this. ?

No more internal memory. ???

/PS I did enjoy playing doom with my E200.

Thanks all.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Assuming you're using a build of rockbox from the last month or two, then you can use MSC mode in Rockbox. Theres no support for MTP in Rockbox, so if you actually use it you'll need to reboot back to the original firmware. Note that MTP is kind of crappy and won't work with SD cards > 2GB, so I wouldn't recommend doing that.