android
Old 03-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Default Sony NWZ-S639F Year

Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased a Sony Walkman NWZ-S639F and cannot display the year tag on screen. All mp3's are tagged using either ID3v1 or ID3v2 and correctly display the tagged information in WMP11, foobar2000, explorer, Directory Opus and DBPowerAmp... so it's not a probem with the tags then I presume!

This is the only field that I cannot populate on the player, all others plus the album art display correctly.

Has anyone else had this problem or can someone confirm that the year field displays correctly on their player please?

I've not been in touch with Sony yet... I was hoping for a speedy response instead.

Thanks in advance,

Roly

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 AM

I remember with Sony's NWZ-S610 players that the year tag only showed up if I transferred the file using WMP or through Media Manager. Drag and dropping in Explorer did not transfer the year. Maybe try re-transferring the file again, but use WMP this time?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepSWEET View Post
I remember with Sony's NWZ-S610 players that the year tag only showed up if I transferred the file using WMP or through Media Manager. Drag and dropping in Explorer did not transfer the year. Maybe try re-transferring the file again, but use WMP this time?

Good shout!!! I'll try that tonight and feedback tomorrow... cheers.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, try using either Media Monkey, WinAmp, or J.River Media Jukebox. All 3 work great w/the Sony players, and seem to have the most success transferring album art over to the players. I personally never had a problem when I used J.River w/my S618 & S639, or my A829.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 AM

@keepSWEET: WMP11 worked a treat, thanks.

@The DarkSide: Thanks also for the tips but I used keepSWEET's advice as I already have WMP11 installed. I didn't want to install any other software just for one purpose. Saying that though, Media Monkey and J.River Media Jukebox both look interesting... I'll take a good look at them some time.

Cheers guys.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, hope WMP11 works for you. It's one of the worst programs to use for this purpose, but it's all what's best for you.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Well, hope WMP11 works for you. It's one of the worst programs to use for this purpose, but it's all what's best for you.
In what way is WMP11 the worse program for this purpose...?

Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 AM

No reply, looks like I'm sticking with WMP11 then!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroly View Post
In what way is WMP11 the worse program for this purpose...?
I'm late to the discussion, but I'll provides my observations. One of my biggest problems I've had with WMP is the way it handles album art. I've found that WMP stores the album art as hidden files in the same folder as the music files and, sometimes, it is extremely difficult to get it to update the album art (to replace incorrect album art). Also, I found in the browser that album art will drift from one album to another, with the same art appearing on several different albums.

Due to this, I chose to use MediaMonkey (MM) for managing my music and my player. Concerning album art, MM keeps it simple: you can embed the art in the file's tag (so it travels with the file), store the art in the song's folder as "folder.jpg," or do both. Since moving to MM I've had little problem with album art, it appears reliably on my player and it is easy to change album art.

I hope that helps.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 03-30-2009, 01:30 PM

Thanks CDMP3PlayerFan, I'll give it a go later. I must admit though, I’ve had no problems whatsoever by using WMP11 so far but as an avid Microsoft hater I will avoid using any of their products if feasibly possible (Windows excluded of courrse).

Are you using the pro version or the free version...?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroly View Post
Thanks CDMP3PlayerFan, I'll give it a go later. I must admit though, Iíve had no problems whatsoever by using WMP11 so far but as an avid Microsoft hater I will avoid using any of their products if feasibly possible (Windows excluded of courrse).

Are you using the pro version or the free version...?
I'm using the pro version (called MediaMonkey Gold). I decided to purchase the pro version because their are certain functions (like autoplaylists and folder monitoring) which will not work with the free version.

The only issue I've had with MediaMonkey (MM) is that I can't use it to rip music from my CDs. It is probably a problem with my system and not MM, and it hasn't been a real issue since I use CDex to rip music from my CDs.

Returning to something I mentioned in my previous post: One things I've found about loading album art on my Sony player is that it will display reliably via MM as long as it is a jpeg and sized no larger than 240 by 240 pixels. I had one album that had album art that would not display when I loaded the file via MM, but it would display when I loaded by file using Media Manager for Windows. Eventually, I tracked the problem down to the file being about 300 by 300 pixels. Once I resized the art, it displayed perfectly when I loaded the file via MM.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

I have the same problem- it's the only tag data not showing up. But I'm not gonna re-transfer 10GB of music, screw that.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 PM

Just to add onto this, if you connect your S series player via MSC instead of MTP, the ID3 "year" tag transfers just fine via drag-n-drop with Windows Explorer (WinXP SP3 with WMP 11). To connect via MSC, see this thread, comment #16.

Matt

Tags
id3 tagging, sony, tag, walkman, year