android
Old 11-24-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Sony E-438 review

First let me say thank you to all who participate here. I am not a great with a keyboard (tablet user here) so I have been avoiding writing this, but with many recent questions regarding the new Sonys I will clue ya'll in.
I currently own the 2 gig Clip and the Sony A-728.
I wanted a new player for all my Christmas music so I went for the Fuze. Everything with the Fuze was great except that I could not get more then 10 hours out of the battery.
So I exchanged it for the E-series. As Murphy would have it, the display at Best Buy was broken but after scowering the web I found the interface to be almost the same and knowing from other Sony products assumed the software/firmware would be the same.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
The E series is a POS. Sony should be ashamed of this product.
The volume is about 60% as loud as the A series. I listen to my A-728 at about level 14-16, but I had to crank the E series to 21-24. Not really a big deal unless you are connecting it to an external portable radio or other low amp listening device.
Second it's missing the alphabetical search ability for artist, album or song-big disappointment.
Also missing are most of the music settings such as some EQ, VPT, DSEE, and Dynamic normalizer. I can't quite remember if it had Clear Stereo.
On my A series, from the now playing screen I always have the option of searching/jumping to anything from artist name, album title, genre, or year. Well this is totally disabled on the E series. Sorry, I know that I might not be explainging it quite right, but if you have any experience with other Sonys you probably know what I mean.
The proverbial straw was the damn "creating library". See, the E series automatically powers off after 4 hours and re-creates its library each and every time regardless. Doesn't matter if you just stopped it for 4 hours, it still creates the library. So if you usually leave your unit on shuffle as I do then you will get a new and different shuffle playlist each time you start it after 4 hours. Completly unacceptable-I can leave my A series off for a week and it will resume my shuffle playlist right where I paused it.
Needless to say that I returned this abomination the next day.
Sony had an incredible player linup prior to this. If anyone wonders why Ipod is still king, it's because major players like Sony keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Mabey I'll try another Fuze. I suppose it's possible that mine came with a bad battery but my experience with the Clip tells me otherwise. I've never goten more then 7 hours with the Clip.
The bottem line is this: DO NOT BUY THE E SERIES. Send a message to Sony to stop being lazy and putting this garbage out. Update the A series to 16-32 gigs and keep the firmware/software/interface the same across the board.
Just my 2 cents, but worth at least a nickle.

David

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM

sounds like you should have got the s730 series, which is more in line with your old A728, as it does everything you wanted the e series to do, plus more....... and I only ever use it at 10-15 volume too, so its plenty loud enough- I just put it up to 20 or so to plug into an amp.... As far as I can see the S639 or S739 is exactly what you wanted, a 16g that does all you require.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:28 PM

sounds to me you didn't do your homework before buying the E438

I got E436 and I don't see a flaw with it, I justified my bought.
I does have a alphabetic search when you go to All Songs menu
As far as the fancy sound features, this is E - E for Economic class
And I prefer to listen pure music, without thoe gibberish sound features that just drain battery life for nothing. I don't care. I'm not that spoiled.

I love it

Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Ledd View Post
sounds to me you didn't do your homework before buying the E438

I got E436 and I don't see a flaw with it, I justified my bought.
I does have a alphabetic search when you go to All Songs menu
As far as the fancy sound features, this is E - E for Economic class
And I prefer to listen pure music, without thoe gibberish sound features that just drain battery life for nothing. I don't care.
Homework????????????
What are you, like 13 years old?

How could I have known with it only being out for a couple of weeks. BB's display was broke and CC's display was a fake plastic model. Sonys website was no help and you were not here to teach me smart guy. Most of the problems I listed have not been addressed on this site and I thought that I was doing others a favor. If you love this POS so much, why haven't you reviewed it.

Alpha search?, No- your wrong, the E series does not have it.

Gibberish sound features? Yea, I just hate the dynamic normalizer. I really look forward to the sound levels fluxuating from really soft to blow out your eardrums loud.

If all you care about is pure sound why didn't you buy a Clip or Fuze because while the Sonys used to be good, they're not pure.

David.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:21 PM

whilst your comments are valid dmnoland, it is worth noting that you are really not comparing like with like. Your original model was an intermediate model, whereas the E-series is very much their budget model, so of course is lacking many features, or else you wouldn't spend buying their more expensive models.

Although it may not have been clear regarding some of the searches and menus, it is very clear on the sony websites what SQ settings and other specifications are relevant to which model. And that is all Lazaruz Ledd is pointing out. For him clearly a budget player is all he wanted, and he is happy with it- it is better than most other players out there.

You are complaining it is not as good as your old A series, but then it is not marketed as such.......

Old 11-27-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post
Homework????????????

When preparing a bussines meeting, a presentation must be complete and has to cover everything concerning the theme, answering all the questions the participants might think of regarding of the matter. If it has holes, that means that the homework of preparing the presentation was poor, hotheaded, investigation of the matter wasn't done properly. Does that sound like 13 year old? More like a graduate

Even If you did you homework by ASKING Google for sony nwz-e436 you could barely find any review, but you would surely stumbl upon news of SONY releasing new lines of Sony Walkmans mp3 players this Autum, for instance this:
http://www.itechnews.net/tag/sony-nwz-e436/
Further query gave me info on other lines B,S and A lines.
I read about this series in a short note in my local magazine IN OCTOBER, it covered the IFA 2008 Berlin, and had a short note about the Sony NWZ-E430.... I saw they had it at my local store, and couldn't believe it came so soon here, late at October, usualy we get techological things later

I went on english, australian(got it at google) and my local page of Sony, and there i read about features of every line, the A-series, S - series, E series, B series. I asked here for help, but didn't get much, cause the player was new, i have it for almost a month. Since I was alone at thinking what line of Sony player to by, i did what learned to do best. Do some research and not a surrender to marketing schemes. I looked at my card and played with what I have

IMO, every new S - series and A - series player has a E series deep in side it's soul, they are all just dressed up wiht specific features to differentiate A from S from E and opposite. The menus are the same in every player with added menus specific for SQ features, Bluetooth conectivity, etc.....
Why would sony bother to reenigneer every series when they did this: Made economic line the E series. For S series, on top of that they added the SQ pack, slighty altered the menu to match the features it has, and maybe redesigned the design of the case. The A series, to differentiate it they used SSD insted of flash, added bluetooth connectivity with headphones.
Plus, the added FM tuner on most of them.

What's the same is video playback. They are just manipulating that fact with how much video time fits in 2/4/8/16GB of space. The battery life is the same up to 8h at 384kbps or half at 768kbps

My Sony Walkman NWZ-E436FB has search by alphabet.
All Songs> has song sorted by a,b,c,d,e,f,g...etc. http://i34.tinypic.com/33begyo.jpg
Artist, divided in three categories 0-9, A-M, N-Z http://i38.tinypic.com/ixcvwo.jpg
Albums http://i33.tinypic.com/207sy1t.jpg
By Genre ......

Only in the option of entering All Songs do you have songs sorted by the alphabet, which proves it has alphabetic search!
For artist, the lbrary is divided in three categories, less or more, it not alphabetic, but above this line is the argument =)

Old 11-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post
Homework????????????

When preparing a bussines meeting, a presentation must be complete and has to cover everything concerning the theme, answering all the questions the participants might think of regarding of the matter. If it has holes, that means that the homework of preparing the presentation was poor, hotheaded, investigation of the matter wasn't done properly. Does that sound like 13 year old? More like a graduate

Even If you did you homework by ASKING Google for sony nwz-e436 you could barely find any review, but you would surely stumbl upon news of SONY releasing new lines of Sony Walkmans mp3 players this Autum, for instance this:
http://www.itechnews.net/tag/sony-nwz-e436/
Further query gave me info on other lines B,S and A lines.
I read about this series in a short note in my local magazine, it covered the IFA 2008 Berlin, and had a short note about the Sony NWZ-E430.... I saw they had it at my local store, and couldn't believe it came so soon, usualy we get techological things later

I went on english, australian(got it at google) and my local page of Sony, and there i read about features of every line, the A-series, S - series, E series, B series. I asked here for help, but didn't get much, cause the player was new, i have it for almost a month. Since I was alone at thinking what line of Sony player to by, i did what learned to do best. Do some research and not a surrender to marketing schemes. I looked at my cards and played with what I had. Not much money

Looking a shop sites was a marketing mess. I actually find a site quoting that E series had features of the new A series! Clearly, every line, A,S,E are princpaly the same, same battery life on default, almost the same screen size 2"/2,4". What they differ at is:
A series has SSD instead of Flash memory. It has bluetooth headphones, has all the fancy SQ settings which drain the battery life.
S i meant for video i think plus has the fancy SQ features.
E series i stripped of everything and has basic video and sound playback....

IMO, every new S - series and A - series player has a E series deep in side it's soul, they are all just dressed up wiht specific features to differentiate A from S from E and opposite. The menus are the same in every player with added menus specific for SQ features, Bluetooth conectivity, etc.....
Why would sony bother to reenigneer every series when they did this: Made economic line the E series. For S series, on top of that they added the SQ pack, slighty altered the menu to match the features it has, and maybe redesigned the design of the case. The A series, to differentiate it they used SSD insted of flash, added bluetooth connectivity with headphones.
Plus, the added FM tuner on most of them.

What's the same is video playback. They are just manipulating that fact with how much video time fits in 2/4/8/16GB of space. The battery life is the same up to 8h at 384kbps or half at 768kbps

My Sony Walkman NWZ-E436FB has search by alphabet.
All Songs> has song sorted by a,b,c,d,e,f,g...etc. http://i34.tinypic.com/33begyo.jpg
Artist, divided in three categories 0-9, A-M, N-Z http://i38.tinypic.com/ixcvwo.jpg
Albums http://i33.tinypic.com/207sy1t.jpg
By Genre ......

Only in the option of entering All Songs do you have songs sorted by the alphabet, which proves it has alphabetic search!
For artist, the lbrary is divided in three categories, less or more, it not alphabetic, but above this line is the argument =)

Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 AM

Hello all! It seems to be a hot topic here ^^.

I also have an NWZ-E438F and I am a bit disappointed to.
Concerning the alphabetic ordering, I guess it is a problem with MTP implementation. Maybe you should try another Media Player Software. I hade same problem with "year" tag before going to WMP11.

But there are plenty of problems which have (or have not) been mentionned here.
This insane "Creating library" screen at start up.
This insanely low volume level.
This insanely slow navigation if your device is nearly full (especially in playlist menu).
No Mega Bass (I thought it was a standard in sony devices since years. I even have it on my mobile phone).
The poor equalizer (which lower even more the volume level)
Plus, I have problems which are maybe only linked to my computer but transfert is insanely slow and Content Transfert does not work if I try to transfert more tha twenty song at once.

So if I had one advice, don't economize those 30$ and get an S serie. My girlfriend has one and don't have any of these problems

Old 04-14-2009, 06:42 AM

Well I like it.

The volume could be louder, sure, but the right headphone change has bee a big plus.

I'm more concerned with the same album cover for every song.

I paid 50 bucks for it brnad new in Cash conveters in AUS, so I'm happy with the outlay.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 AM

I really like this player too. Loooove that long battery life, and the ease of use. I found it nicer to use than my old 4GB iPod mini (and that iPod I had had poor battery life).

I don't have a problem with the 'low' volume level. It cetainly gets loud enough when I put it at 22! And adjusting the equalizer, it sounds really nice. Again, better than my old iPod.

I always either have a problem with the earphones hurting my ears, or them falling out of my ears.
And yes, it keeps 'building' the library every time you switch it on after 4 hours or so of not using it. I got used to it, once it builds the library (the first time is the longest) subsequent builds at start up aren't half as long.

I was surprised at the relative low cost of this Walkman, I just hope it goes the distance! So far I have had no troubles with it.

PS: I picked one up from Dick Smith's in WA, it was a real lemon. Sent it back. Got another from eBay - the price was $117AUD but thanks to a stuff-up with Paypal and my bank it turns out I may not have to pay anything for it!