android
Old 10-27-2008, 11:51 PM

Default Broken contact on earphone Jack, help....

I did the loose earphone jack mod about a month ago, then a few days ago my earphones lost all their definition. When I took the Sansa apart again I discovered the ground contact had broken off the circuit board.

I do not have access to a soldering gun. I've considered wiring a external earphone jack, using only the right and left terminals, rewiring on as a ground, but am unsure where to purchase a external jack, even the nearest walmart is 7 hours drive away from where I live... Online?

What are my options? Can I buy a cheap 2gb? sansa e200 and replace the memory with my 8gb? Or does someone want buy my sansa parts? What else can I do?

Oh, btw, the removal of the clicks on the scroll wheel mod worked perfectly! Highly recommended.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One option is you can solder it back on. Another options is get a cheap e250v1 and do a daughter card swap.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:20 AM

Ask friends, coworkers, relatives, neighbors. Someone you know has a soldering iron that you can use. You might even find someone who knows how to use it properly.

Two hints- don't use (or let someone else use) plumbing/rain-gutter solder or flux. Use only electronic solder (look for the words "rosin core") and /or electronic flux.

If you're going to be a modder/hacker, you gotta learn to make-do... If you have a piece of heavy, solid wire, you can heat it with a flame and use it as a make-shift soldering iron to resolder the ground connection. It isn't optimal, but it will work.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:53 PM

Thank you for your responses.

At this point I do not have the time or means to repair it...

Therefore, if someone wants to buy it from me for parts please let me know...

~Cameron

Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 AM

you can try using conductive wire glue instead of solder

http://www.electronix.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id/17697

Old 11-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Default wire glue

I tried using wire glue for my ripped off headphone jack and had limited success. I had about half the sound coming through the bad side after the repair, but lost it when I re-assembled and screwed everything down. I think the product is definitely worth a try since most wouldn't have a soldering gun small enough to get the heat right where it needs to be. I can barely see the solder points with the naked eye.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 PM

I accidentally dropped my E260 on my desk the other day. It landed on the headphone plug and broke the solder joint loose for at the very end of the jack (no left channel). I have the soldering equipment and will attempt the repair, but it looks like there may be some sort of SMD (surface mount) resistor or other component at the end of the solder joint semi-burried in the solder. Can anyone confirm or refute?

Old 12-25-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fission7x View Post
I accidentally dropped my E260 on my desk the other day. It landed on the headphone plug and broke the solder joint loose for at the very end of the jack (no left channel). I have the soldering equipment and will attempt the repair, but it looks like there may be some sort of SMD (surface mount) resistor or other component at the end of the solder joint semi-burried in the solder. Can anyone confirm or refute?
Yes, there is a SMD there. From my experience it isn't needed and can be discarded for the soldering process. HERE is a picture of the board after my novice soldering job... but it works just like new even without the SMD.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:59 PM

Thanks Carpenter!
I will give it a try tomorrow. After all, I can't do much more harm to it than I already have! I mean, no left channel is just as useless as no sound at all would be.
I'll let y'all know what happens.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:13 PM

I finally got around to soldering the left-channel connection of the headphone jack.
The SMD resistor was so small, there was no way I could solder it correctly - I just
reheated the existing solder, added a little more, and...
By the magic of solder, it works! There was very little real estate on the PCB to
solder to, but it seems to be holding - and working.
I decided to secure the jack housing to the PCB using some E6000 adhesive, for
reinforcement. I also covered the solder connections.
It may not last, but for a while, I seem to have a solid, working headphone jack.
Thanks abi users!!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fission7x View Post
I finally got around to soldering the left-channel connection of the headphone jack.
The SMD resistor was so small, there was no way I could solder it correctly - I just
reheated the existing solder, added a little more, and...
By the magic of solder, it works! There was very little real estate on the PCB to
solder to, but it seems to be holding - and working.
I decided to secure the jack housing to the PCB using some E6000 adhesive, for
reinforcement. I also covered the solder connections.
It may not last, but for a while, I seem to have a solid, working headphone jack.
Thanks abi users!!
Welcome to the world of modding. haha

I had the same issue and soldered. Just a note to help you and any other newbie solderer. Be sure to use de-soldering wick. This will save your lives! It soaks up solder, so if you apply too much or have to start over. Also NEVER keep the iron on for more than 5 seconds or so . . . doing so will burn the board and connections.
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.