android
Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Default Video Coversion Problems

Hi, well my problem is that i download great DVD quality movies from my friends web site. the files there are all MP4 , so i have to convert them to AVI for my P3, so when i watch the movies it plays well but like half way into the movies the sound gets out of sync with the movie, and this really bothers me, i have tried playing them on the computer and it plays fine, so if anyone knows how to fix this i would really appreciate some help

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

If they're in mp4, you shouldnt need to convert them. For audio/video syncing perhaps someone else will post- there is a way of sorting it.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:12 PM

well i have tried putting them on without converting and it says "file not supported"

Old 07-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

It maybe says that, but they should play fine- I take it you have 2.14 firmware. Support for native mp4 was added in 2.07. I remember getting that message but the files played fine after transfering.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:32 PM

So Firmware 2.14 doesn't support MP4?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_rngl View Post
So Firmware 2.14 doesn't support MP4?
No, it does. 2.07 and above do. I havn't used my P3 for video much, but the few vids I have are in mp4.
Don't use Emodio, though, because it does -or it did- try and convert everything.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_rngl View Post
Hi, well my problem is that i download great DVD quality movies from my friends web site. the files there are all MP4 , so i have to convert them to AVI for my P3, so when i watch the movies it plays well but like half way into the movies the sound gets out of sync with the movie, and this really bothers me, i have tried playing them on the computer and it plays fine, so if anyone knows how to fix this i would really appreciate some help
My cell phone does this same thing if I set the video to more than the phone can process at once.

There is a couple of areas you can do trial and error problem solving for this.

One is the bitrate the video is encoded at, you can try a lower bit per second setting. You can try a lower resolution, like to the player resolution (480x272 I think?), and lastly, you can lower the frames per second (FPS) that it's encoded at. I think the player max is like 30 FPS.

It might be a combination of the three or maybe just tweaking one of those settings will keep it all in sync.

Good luck and I hope this info helps.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
No, it does. 2.07 and above do. I havn't used my P3 for video much, but the few vids I have are in mp4.
Don't use Emodio, though, because it does -or it did- try and convert everything.

Does it read MPEG2 or MPEG4?

Old 07-10-2009, 03:27 AM

Mine actually hasn't played a single mp4 file yet. I also get the file not supported message.

Quote:
It maybe says that, but they should play fine
I dont understand what you mean there as everytime you try to select the file that message comes up therefore not allowing it to play...

Old 07-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Mine actually hasn't played a single mp4 file yet. I also get the file not supported message.

I dont understand what you mean there as everytime you try to select the file that message comes up therefore not allowing it to play...
I got that message when using Emodio to transfer files, but they still worked. My vids are mostly Youtube stuff in mp4. After 2.07 it plays h264.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 AM

hmm im not using emodio to transfer nor getting that message at the emodio or transfer stage. its being displayed on the P3's screen when i try and play the actual mp4 file already on it. What you said sounds like emodio is telling you its not supported but then it seems to play anyway which is a bit different from the actual p3 saying its not supported. I dont really know much about the different types of mp4 or what ever.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Is it in UMS or MTP? Mine is in MTP mode and I just copy mp4 files into the video folder. I convert the videos using handbrake.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyunmet View Post
Is it in UMS or MTP? Mine is in MTP mode and I just copy mp4 files into the video folder. I convert the videos using handbrake.
It shouldn't matter unless you are using protected video files, when you may need MTP

That said in MTP mode when I drag n drop a video in, Windows (not the P3) tells me I should convert it first. Windows is wrong. Ignore windows.

Also i tested a *.mpg file. Didin't work.

Any MP4 file should work. Basically if it plays on an iPod, it will play on the P3. If it doesn't play on an iPod (like xvid, divx etc) it will still play on a P3. Insanely high bitrates or a resolution higher than 800x600 (i think) may make the file unplayable...

Also, I'm not being narky, just making a polite observation, this should technically probably be in the video sub-forum.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjrock View Post
It shouldn't matter unless you are using protected video files, when you may need MTP

That said in MTP mode when I drag n drop a video in, Windows (not the P3) tells me I should convert it first. Windows is wrong. Ignore windows.

Also i tested a *.mpg file. Didin't work.

Any MP4 file should work. Basically if it plays on an iPod, it will play on the P3. If it doesn't play on an iPod (like xvid, divx etc) it will still play on a P3. Insanely high bitrates or a resolution higher than 800x600 (i think) may make the file unplayable...

Also, I'm not being narky, just making a polite observation, this should technically probably be in the video sub-forum.
I read many times that in MTP mode the P3/windows says format not compatible and doesn't transfer files. Then once changed to UMS mode, the files transfer and play flawlessly. I noticed this once too in the past.

My mp4 files are ripped from directly YouTube and play flawlessly. My P3 is set in UMS mode.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned

I got the Windows message whatever mode I was in, (thanks Rob for reminding me it wasn't emodio) but just ignored it and they play fine. A message on the player itself, then something else is wrong.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I got the Windows message whatever mode I was in, (thanks Rob for reminding me it wasn't emodio) but just ignored it and they play fine. A message on the player itself, then something else is wrong.
Hit the nail on the head.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:21 PM

No idea what though as everything else works perfectly gonna try formating it then reinstaling the firmware and see what happens.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Ahhh okay, it's been awhile since I had the problem. It's a pure Windows message. I forgot if it was a combo or just windows alone. I know it wasn't a pure P3 message.

The difference for me is I recall it wouldn't transfer the file after the error. I don't recall an ignore button but maybe there was and I didn't hit it?

And once I set my p3 to UMS mode US 2.14. I've never had any error messages in windows or the P3.

Tags
video