android
Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 AM

Default Can't copy files to my NWZ-S639F

A while ago I wanted to revamp the contents of my Walkman, having added new tracks to my PC and "tidied up" a lot of the files, for example renumbering my classical box sets so the various symphonies actually play in the correct order rather than the order they've been spread across the CDs.

This was a problem, as I found I'd lost my USB cable (probably at work), and had to resort to buying a new one from eBay.

When it arrived, I recharged my Walkman, deleted all the music and videos that were on it, and tried copying all the tracks I wanted onto it. However, when I try copying via Windows I get the message ''Cannot copy XXXXXX: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.'' When I try via the SONY Media Manager, it appears to be transferring files but always gives an error at the end: ''One or more file transfers have failed. Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490).

Could it be a dodgy cable? I didn't have any trouble deleting the files, and I even copied a number of files OFF the Walkman to my PC successfully. Is there anything else I can try?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

Have you tried drag and drop?

Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 AM

If the cable was the problem, i think you won't be able to do anything with it, not even deleting the files.

Have you tried reformatting the player? before file transfer?

Old 07-10-2009, 05:26 AM

I tried drag and drop as in dragging from one Windows directory into another - didn't try using the SONY Content Transfer thingy.

I've also reformatted it now, but won't be able to check until I turn my home PC again at the weekend - fingers crossed...

Last edited by CharlieP; 07-10-2009 at 05:34 AM.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 AM

Nope, still the same problem after a Format.

I also tried using Content Transfer - when you drag tracks onto it the progress bar shoots all the way along the bottom and it doesn't report an error, but no tracks are actually on the player.

What I should have explained better before is that if I try and copy a lot of files using the Media Manager, it will appear to copy them all, but then report as many errors as there are files.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:50 AM

Just out of interest, I tried copying a 41 KB JPG (via Content Transfer), and it worked OK. I then tried a 2.76 MB JPG, which said "Done" but doesn't appear on the player, and then a 144 KB JPG, which appears on the player, but comes up with a grey box with jagged line through it when I try to display it...

Old 07-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
Nope, still the same problem after a Format.

I also tried using Content Transfer - when you drag tracks onto it the progress bar shoots all the way along the bottom and it doesn't report an error, but no tracks are actually on the player.

What I should have explained better before is that if I try and copy a lot of files using the Media Manager, it will appear to copy them all, but then report as many errors as there are files.

That's strange. I take it that it's out of warranty? I haven't come across this problem yet, reading the forums.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 AM

It's still under warranty, it just doesn't have the original USB cable - I bought a third-party lead from eBay and I'm still wondering if that might be the problem...

Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
It's still under warranty, it just doesn't have the original USB cable - I bought a third-party lead from eBay and I'm still wondering if that might be the problem...
I would return it and just hope that they don't notice the different cable. Seriously, problems like this with Sonys are pretty rare and, irrespective of whether it was the cable or the player, you need a new one.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Seems like it might be the third party cable, as you've had no issues before purchasing it. Try going to Best Buy, or some other store that sells the Sony branded cable, then try it out to test the results. Just make sure you can get a refund on the cable if it doesn't work.