android
Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 AM

Default New Fuze owner - quick Q's

Hi guys,

I've just bought a Sanza Fuze.

Very happy with it so far - but main worry is reliability. I'd read online about them crashing and dying. Mine has already turned itself off twice, then wouldn't turn back on. A reset has done the trick, but worried about it doing it again and permanently. How likely is it that it'll now be problem-free ownership from now on!?

Other than that, the only annoying thing i've found is that when scrolling through music, if you don't press anything for 15 secs it'll return to the 'now playing' screen. Only a slight annoyance but if anyone knows whether this can be stopped it'd be much appreciated!?

Ta, Andy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-rew View Post
Hi guys,

Very happy with it so far - but main worry is reliability. I'd read online about them crashing and dying. Mine has already turned itself off twice, then wouldn't turn back on. A reset has done the trick, but worried about it doing it again and permanently. How likely is it that it'll now be problem-free ownership from now on!?

Other than that, the only annoying thing i've found is that when scrolling through music, if you don't press anything for 15 secs it'll return to the 'now playing' screen. Only a slight annoyance but if anyone knows whether this can be stopped it'd be much appreciated!?

Ta, Andy
I've had to do the reset trick maybe 5 times since September '08. I think a pretty good percentage of the problems people post about , especially in the Sansa forums, are just plain user error.

The exception to that statement involves video related issues. The "Sansa Media Converter" was a fail last winter, enough so that I've only used my Fuze for audio and an occasional photo. I believe there are different versions of the SMC since then, and they have not gotten better.

Your question about the 15 seconds, back to Now Playing......if there's a way to stop it, I've never heard of it.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-rew View Post
Hi guys,

Ta, Andy
yeah like MM said earlier I've had to do a Reset maybe 5 times in the last almost 2 years that I've had my Fuze. Only caveats I would give you would be to be sure to upgrade your firmware to the latest .26 version and upgrade when new versions are released. Also leave enough 'free' space on the player for important stuff like database creation/manipulation etc. I've seen too many postings on ABI from people who jam so much content on their player and wonder why it crashes, freezes and generally just behaves badly when all it needed was enough space to do its thing! For me as a general rule I like to leave 50megs free just to be safe. And since the Fuze has it's own FORMAT I like to format my player at least once/twice a year. Purely personal decision I know or you may want to skip the formatting altogether. Oh..invest in a case for it.

As I've said before I've had mine close to 2 years now and it's been pretty rock-solid giving me very little trouble. Turned out to be one of my best DAP purchases!
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 07-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansaguy View Post
yeah like MM said earlier I've had to do a Reset maybe 5 times in the last almost 2 years that I've had my Fuze. Only caveats I would give you would be to be sure to upgrade your firmware to the latest .26 version and upgrade when new versions are released. Also leave enough 'free' space on the player for important stuff like database creation/manipulation etc. I've seen too many postings on ABI from people who jam so much content on their player and wonder why it crashes, freezes and generally just behaves badly when all it needed was enough space to do its thing! For me as a general rule I like to leave 50megs free just to be safe. And since the Fuze has it's own FORMAT I like to format my player at least once/twice a year. Purely personal decision I know or you may want to skip the formatting altogether. Oh..invest in a case for it.

As I've said before I've had mine close to 2 years now and it's been pretty rock-solid giving me very little trouble. Turned out to be one of my best DAP purchases!
Good thought on the case.....I would add screen protector if the case doesn't cover the screen. And you're right about the formatting....I like to do it every few months too. Keeps your Fuze feeling "fresh"

Old 07-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I've had to do the reset trick maybe 5 times since September '08. I think a pretty good percentage of the problems people post about , especially in the Sansa forums, are just plain user error.

The exception to that statement involves video related issues. The "Sansa Media Converter" was a fail last winter, enough so that I've only used my Fuze for audio and an occasional photo. I believe there are different versions of the SMC since then, and they have not gotten better.

Your question about the 15 seconds, back to Now Playing......if there's a way to stop it, I've never heard of it.
I've only had my Fuze for a week or so, but I've had no trouble with the Sansa Media Converter's videos or pictures. It's been reliable so far...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:14 PM

How do you reset the fuze?

Old 07-20-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13dp View Post
How do you reset the fuze?
From the Fuze manual...

To reset your player, slide the Power Switch up and hold it for approximately 10 seconds.