android
Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Red face Looking for Cheap MP3 player with SD slot

It must have an SD card slot. I want to be able to expand my collection without buying a new player every time, like with the iPods. It doesn't matter if it can't play video. I am looking at some legacy SanDisk products like their C and E series, however cannot find any solid information on them. Does anyone own a legacy SanDisk MP3 player with an SD card slot? Any information and opinions?

Yeah, my budget? Less than 40, preferably 30 lol. Yes, that's pathetic, however that's all I have to go on after spending all my money on earphones (a pair of v-modas, 25 bucks, and JVC headphones, 100 bucks), which all broke before I figured I had to tape the base of the earphone (where the wire meets the stump).

Thanks in advance.

TechOutsider

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome to ABI>>>. As for suggestions, I'm unable to help w/this 1. Hopefully 1 of our other members will provide an idea or 2, though it'll be tough for the money you want to spend.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sansa View. Insignia Pilot. That's all I know of for SD. I just received my 32gb Lattefone Cafe that has a microSD slot. Seems like the iriver P7 did to. The iriver E100 also has a micoSD slot.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM

Wow! The iRiver seems like a great deal. I'll definitely consider it. Thanks!

Any comments on the iRiver? Some say the build quality is flimsy, and that's probably not gonna help my impression after owning three iPods, all with aluminum faceplates.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Which iriver? The E100 is all plastic, but well made. My P7 crashed and burned during a firmware update, and iriver has failed to offer to fix it yet. It's seems plastic as well but might be metal under the silver paint. Can't really tell.

Last edited by Olley; 07-28-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:27 PM

You can occasionally find the Sansa e200 series for that price, from woot or other sites. I have the e280, 8Gb internal. It doesn't support SDHC though, and whenever you have a microSD card in there, it always re-loads the library every time, which is rather annoying. Better with RockBox though, I hear.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM

Take a peek at the sansa fuze....takes microSD

Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Since I only suggest players I have owned I think you might try a refurbished Sansa e250. TigerDirect has them in stock today.

If you get a V1 you're golden. Rockbox is fully functional and will support any size micro sd card. That would make the relatively small 2 GB size of the player irrelevant.

The V2 version can use up to a 16 GB card out the box. Either way you get a solid player at the decent price. Plus the Rockbox Team has released an Official Test Build for the V2 and seems to be steadily working out the final bugs in preparation for a release.

The Sansa e2xx series is a solid reliable player in my experience. The SQ on the V1 series is decent, especially with the Rockbox enhancements. The SQ on the V2 is as good as the Clip/Fuze.

If you have misgivings about the refurbished status of these player I doubt you have anything to worry about. TigerDirect has a good reputation and all of the players I got from them and Woot arrived in pristine condition. I have owned several and gifted most of them to friends and family. They all report no problems except one person that sat on hers and snapped off the headphone jack.

At your price point I can't think of a better alternative.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlena View Post
You can occasionally find the Sansa e200 series for that price, from woot or other sites. I have the e280, 8Gb internal. It doesn't support SDHC though, and whenever you have a microSD card in there, it always re-loads the library every time, which is rather annoying. Better with RockBox though, I hear.
Can't seem to find any e200s. I'll keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master View Post
Take a peek at the sansa fuze....takes microSD
A little expensive, however I bet it would be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Since I only suggest players I have owned I think you might try a refurbished Sansa e250. TigerDirect has them in stock today.
Looking at the reviews, at least three people have recieved their e250 dead upon arrival. And they found SanDisk does not cover refurbs. And several other users complained about it, mostly quality issues.

----

I don't know, I guess I'll keep waiting.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Check out the Sansa Fuze. If you have access to a Costco, they usually have a 4 GB or 8 GB model available. I bought one there before Christmas last year for about $60 (they had a rebate at that time). The Fuze has a microSD slot and I have been very pleased with it.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sansa slotMedia player. AAA battery. your choice of micro SDHC cards. Not the best sounding but (didn't I just type this in another thread????).

The legacy Sansa players are no longer made and MAY be difficult to source.

Although the Fuze is a great suggestion, but it is out of the OP's stated price range. The slotMedia player (with no memory installed) is $20 plus the price of a micro SD card. Within price range

Steve

Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechOutsider View Post
It must have an SD card slot. I want to be able to expand my collection without buying a new player every time, like with the iPods. It doesn't matter if it can't play video. I am looking at some legacy SanDisk products like their C and E series, however cannot find any solid information on them. Does anyone own a legacy SanDisk MP3 player with an SD card slot? Any information and opinions?

Yeah, my budget? Less than 40, preferably 30 lol. Yes, that's pathetic, however that's all I have to go on after spending all my money on earphones (a pair of v-modas, 25 bucks, and JVC headphones, 100 bucks), which all broke before I figured I had to tape the base of the earphone (where the wire meets the stump).

Thanks in advance.

TechOutsider
You might try to find a refurbished Fuze, i picked up a 2GB for under 30.00 online

Tags
card, cheap, sandisk, sd