All device require the use of a driver to work within the operating system whether or not it is plug and play
supported or not. Plug and Play is supposed to handle the driver installation automatically. However, some times something can interfere with the driver being installed. You can try to go about installing the driver manual in a few ways:
To change the driver or install the driver in case of error:
1. In Device Manager, double left click on the Walkman listing under Portable Devices.
2. Select the Driver Tab and then select the Update Driver box.
3. Select the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
4. Select MTP Device within the Model box and select the Next button.
5. Windows will then install the MTP driver.
6. Select Close on the next two screens and Device Manager should show the Walkman under Portable Devices with no errors.
To force the Device to use the MTP driver when connected and asked for drivers:
1. With the Walkman connected, uninstall the Walkman listing within Device Manager.
2. Using Windows Explorer, navigate into your windows/inf folder and "Copy" (not Cut) the wpdmtp.inf to your desktop.
3. Now connect your device and when it detects it as a new device, don't "automatically install driver. Select " click to specify the location..." and choose not to search for the driver. Click the option to specify what driver you want to use. Click next.
4. The next window should ask you what driver to use and the top of the list should say "show all devices." Click next.
5. The next window select "have disk" and point the path of the driver to the desktop where you put wpdmtp.inf and select OK.
It should then force the MTP driver to load for that device. You have now reinstalled all USB and USB host controller drivers and forced the Zen to use the correct MTP driver it is supposed to use. Again, try to see if your problem still exists.
If you can't install the driver when it is first detected or update it in device manager without an error code, try it this way:
1. With the Walkman connected, right clicking on the driver when it shows in Device Manager and select Uninstall.
2. Then try and add the Walkman as a MTP device using Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Manager.
3. Manually select the MTP Device and it will load the MTP driver for the Zen.
4. If you ever get prompted with anything saying that the device may not work properly or the driver isn't for that device, go through with it anyway.