android
Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Can't hear some sounds on Sony NWZ-S638F

I bought this player today and immediately ran into a problem. I only played a couple of songs to see what it's like, and noticed that the lead guitar in the opening of the song Ugly by Bon Jovi can't be heard. Here's the link to the song to hear what it should sound like, in case the problem has to do something with frequencies or whatever

(I couldn't find the original song on youtube, just this crappy cover, but it's enough to get the idea)

Anyway, the lead guitar in the beginning of the song cannot be heard on my Sony. There is nothing wrong with the track, it plays ok on my PC. I tried two sets of headphones to no avail, I tried messing with equalizers, clear stereo and all the other stuff, but no luck. Even on my very old, very cheap, very plain Apacer this song sounds the way it should. If anyone knows what could be the problem, please help. I'm worrying that some other songs could be messed up the same way.

Also, I tried creating playlists with Media player 11, but after syncing with S638F, there are no playlists in it. Any help here is also much appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try syncing the player w/another program. WMP is crap and might be the cause of the issue.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Banned

Or just drag and drop your music files. Also, make sure VPT is off on the player.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:03 PM

Yeah, turned to drag and drop and using folders instead of playlists.
VPT on/off makes no difference to the missing tones. So frustrating, a player that got such high marks for sound quality does that. And wasn't cheap either... Could it be that it is some sort of malfunction? Still, doesn't seem likely. Don't know what to think...

Old 08-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Exchange it for another, as it MIGHT be defective. I had the S639 and the SQ was utterly fantastic. And it was quite the opposite for me, as I could hear the guitarists fingers stroking the strings on some songs w/it.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Banned

Yeah, exchange it. I cant't fault mine, either - I can hear every note.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:21 PM

If you absolutely want to create a playlist, the best way is to go in your mp3 player with explorer, pick which songs you want (highlight), right click and create a playlist.

For this to work, it must say that its connected as an mtp device on your walkman.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 PM

I exchanged it, but the same problem remains. Clerks at the store didn't know what could be the problem.
Anyway, my girlfriend told me that she had a similar problem with her micro Hi-Fi system: she couldn't hear the lead guitar intro on just one track (a completely different one from the one with which I'm having trouble), while the other notes were clearly audible. When she played the disc on another system, there were no problems.
If you can think of some website or place where I could look for the answer I would greatly appreciate it. Although the problem is not huge it is very frustrating to me.