android
Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM

Default NWZ-A818 - Replacing lost screw

Hi, one of the tiny screws in the back of my NWZ-A818 came out a few weeks ago and disappeared, and since then the casing has been coming apart at the bottom right hand corner, causing serious problems with the display, to the point where i can't see anything on the screen unless i squeeze it together very tightly before i activate it. Does anybody know what type of screw this is, or where I could get a replacement in the U.K.? The player is out of warranty now.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check w/a jewelery shop or eyeglass repair center. Those screws are very common there. Or, just visit Radio Shack, they'll probably have it in stock.

Just remember to bring your player w/you so you can be sure the screw is the right size before you leave the place. Once your bought it, your stuck.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 AM

Thanks, unfortunately we have no Radio Shack in the U.K. but plenty of jewellery shops, will try one of those.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 AM

that's crazy, i noticed a couple of weeks ago that the left screw had disappeared on mine. Hasn;t caused any probs yet but you got me concerned! Have you found one yet?

Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check my prior post.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 AM

@ezmanuk:, yeah you should definitely be concerned, after a while it will start to come apart. Have tried a couple of repair shops and opticians, including the Sony Centre, which doesn't have screws(!), and nobody can help. It isn't actually a standard screw, as it's way too fat to go in eyeglasses, so really I have no idea what to do.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Contact Sony support, through their website.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:38 AM

I tried Sony support, but the fee they wanted was near the original cost of the player.... no thanks. So i found a guy on ebay who sold dead mp3 players for parts and have just received his dead a818. Unfortunately i can't seem to get the screws tight enough to fix the screen problem, but it holds together now at least.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 PM

I cracked open my Creative Zen Touch and Zen Stone. Both use the same size screws. I had trouble getting some the Touch screws out and chewed up the heads. I am going to check Radio Shack and next WalMart Eyeglass center for those little buggers. I will report what I find. I am in Arizona. PS. Love the Disassembly help and Creative batteries are crap.

Tags
loose, nwz-a818, screw