android
Old 08-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Default Fuze ceases function after synching with Mediamonkey

Tired of dragging and dropping, I downloaded Mediamonkey and began synching it with my Fuze (after deleting all the music that was already on the Fuze). First I had the Fuze's internal memory synching until it was full, then I put about 6 GB on its 8 GB microSD.
Then, upon disconnecting the Fuze, a red window pops up on its screen that states:
"Not enough space for Music DB. Please free 90 MB."
The Fuze then promptly turns off. It does this every time I try to turn it on. So I figure, I guess I put too much music on it (which just sounds silly in my head but given that message it's the only conclusion that I could come to). But when I open the Fuze on my computer, I see that there's no music at all on the internal memory. And yet, somehow, according to the properties, all its space is taken.

In short...what the hell did I just do to my Fuze and can it be fixed.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
Tired of dragging and dropping, I downloaded Mediamonkey and began synching it with my Fuze (after deleting all the music that was already on the Fuze). First I had the Fuze's internal memory synching until it was full, then I put about 6 GB on its 8 GB microSD.
Then, upon disconnecting the Fuze, a red window pops up on its screen that states:
"Not enough space for Music DB. Please free 90 MB."
The Fuze then promptly turns off. It does this every time I try to turn it on. So I figure, I guess I put too much music on it (which just sounds silly in my head but given that message it's the only conclusion that I could come to). But when I open the Fuze on my computer, I see that there's no music at all on the internal memory. And yet, somehow, according to the properties, all its space is taken.

In short...what the hell did I just do to my Fuze and can it be fixed.
One or more of the files you just loaded on is corrupted....that causes the
"Not enough space for Music DB. Please free 90 MB." message.

As far as not seing your files on the internal memory, by any chance is your USB mode set to Auto-Defect? (as a friend in the Sansa forum calls it) If so, your best bet is to erase the stuff on the external card, format the internal memory, and choose a USB mode.

MSC is preferred, unless you rely on playlists or Rhapsody. Then, try adding music back, in smaller increments, and maybe you can figure out what file is screwed up.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Administrator

You'll probably want to go here for more info on how to accomplish what Marvin is recommending.
Hmmm... This seems to be cropping up quite a bit recently. Wonder if Sansa is going to fix this MTP firmware issue?

On a related note you can use foobar2000 to verify the integrity of your .mp3 files. Set it to run the File Integrity Verifier on a playlist including all of your library. It can check a large number of files very quickly.

I kept having "Bad Track" problems on my e250 in MTP until I fixed the 40 or so files fooby said had corruption.
*crosses fingers*
No problems so far with either the Clip or the Fuze with all my files verified.

Good Luck.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You'll probably want to go here for more info on how to accomplish what Marvin is recommending.
Hmmm... This seems to be cropping up quite a bit recently. Wonder if Sansa is going to fix this MTP firmware issue?

On a related note you can use foobar2000 to verify the integrity of your .mp3 files. Set it to run the File Integrity Verifier on a playlist including all of your library. It can check a large number of files very quickly.

I kept having "Bad Track" problems on my e250 in MTP until I fixed the 40 or so files fooby said had corruption.
*crosses fingers*
No problems so far with either the Clip or the Fuze with all my files verified.

Good Luck.
So you think this is directly related to MTP? I can't help but wonder, because I've always used MSC with my Sansas, and I've only gotten that error once or twice in almost 11 months of Sansa use.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
So you think this is directly related to MTP? I can't help but wonder, because I've always used MSC with my Sansas, and I've only gotten that error once or twice in almost 11 months of Sansa use.
Yeah, I'm starting to believe it's MTP related. I got rid of all my corrupt files well over a year ago. If they are corrupt it happens during transfer in MTP mode.

The same files transfer to the card and player with no errors in MSC. I also have had no problems using the same files on my Clip after transferring them in MSC mode. They both have the latest firmware.

I needed to find a way to make integrated playlists for the Fuze. I know you don't use playlists Marvin but they are an essential part of how I use my DAPs. Since I got my Fuze a few weeks ago I use MTP with it to make playlists that incorporate the main memory and the card. I found the thread I referred to as I have had the "Free 90 MB" message twice after transferring files in MTP.

I've also noticed that when you view the properties of the card and device in MTP vs. MSC the card and player show a few hundred more MB in MSC than if you look at them in MTP. I can't view the hidden files even with both "Show Hidden" and "Show Protected System Files" unchecked.

Just a guess but I suspect the the way that MTP vs. MSC handles that file transfers or hidden space is what may be causing the problem. The two times I had the problem I came fairly close to filling both the card and the player (I should have had about 300 MB free) and may have taken away the elbow room that was needed to create the database. Again, just guessing there.

I continue to drag and drop in MTP mode for playlist reasons but do it in smaller chunks and always leave at least 1/2 GB free on the card and player each. Since I changed my technique I haven't had a repeat of this problem. I don't have to shift files onto the player or card very much as 9 GB instead of 10 GB in more than enough to carry my mobile music collection.

I'm lucky since this is a V1 and it seems that Rockbox may be ready for a full release for the Fuze soon. The official test build I tried had some bugs relating to the micro sd card so I uninstalled. The ability to use a full set of sound enhancements took the SQ from very good to amazing. I'm just going to be patient until the Rockbox Team works out the remaining bugs and then hopefully leave MTP mode permanently.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Hmmm, I've never had the message, and like Marvin I always use MSC. Got my first Clip in late Nov 2007. But I never 'sync' my players, I copy with drag & drop. And I have never stuffed my players full.

Course, maybe I'm just lucky.

STeve

Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Just to be ultra specific, when you say to format the internal memory, do you mean via the computer or via the Fuze? Still getting the message after formatting the SD card, so I assume you mean computer, but wouldn't formatting via the computer delete system information and make it a useless vegetable?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

you may want to try doubletwist http://www.doubletwist.com/ I gave it a good test for a buddy and it works quite well and is FREE, it also supports pretty much all the common players on the market that arent locked into using proprietary software(zune sucks!!!)

give it a shot, if you find any problems, let them know in the forums they really do want to support as many players as possible