android
Old 05-10-2007, 08:55 AM

Default K3 Playlist - Can Someone Post Format ?

Hi guys

Would any K3 owners mind posting the format of a playlist file (opened in Notepad) so that I can see the format and replicate it for my device. I'm also interested in knowing if the playlist files are in their own folder on the device.

For reasons I won't go into, I don't have the Samsung Media rubbish installed, so can't create one of my own to see the format.

(I did try copying the format of a previous post, but that seemed to apply to the K5 and didn't work on my K3).

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 AM

It depends which firmware you're on. For the MTP firmwares (i believe its 1.09 or earlier) the playlists seem to be hidden, although i'm pretty sure they are in .spl format as well.
As for UMS firmwares, 1.43/4.03/4.06 the playlists created from "Samsung Media rubbish(totally agree)" is in .spl format, and looks like this:
Quote:
SPL PLAYLIST
VERSION 1.00

\MUSIC\Trance Techno Dance\Dj sammy\00 - We're in Heaven (techno remix).mp3

END PLAYLIST
However do note that the playlist has to be in UTF16 character format. Writing your own playlist and saving to notepad wont do.
If you want, you can make your own playlist, and convert it online here
http://www.fileformat.info/convert/text/utf2utf.htm
choose "UTF-16 little endian with byte-order mark" for the desired character set.

or alternatively, you could use a little proggy i created, which can be found in another thread "m3u to spl converter"

Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A .wpl is listed by Samsung as a supported playlist format, which is Windows Media Player's default format. How have K3/K5 users gone using this type of playlist?

Here is an example of a .wpl file from wikipedia:
Quote:
<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
<head>
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 11.0.5721.5145"/>
<meta name="AverageRating" content="33"/>
<meta name="TotalDuration" content="1102"/>
<meta name="ItemCount" content="3"/>
<author/>
<title>Bach Organ Works</title>
</head>
<body>
<seq>
<media src="\\server\vol\music\Classical\Bach\OrganWorks\ cd03\track01.mp3"/>
<media src="\\server\vol\music\Classical\Bach\OrganWorks\ cd03\track02.mp3"/>
<media src="\\server\vol\music\Classical\Bach\OrganWorks\ cd03\track03.mp3"/>
</seq>
</body>
</smil>

Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 AM

Thanks guys.

m1Lk: Yes, the firmware is 1.04 WA JN.

I've tried creating both spl and wpl files and placing them in the following places:

\Music
\Music\Playlist
\Music\Playlists
\Playlist
\Playlists

Even tried placing the files in the root (i.e. Internal Storage).

Every time I get the "No File" message in Playlists on the K3 menu.

I'm really, really, really trying to avoid the Samsung software, but I'm starting to think I may have to install it

Thanks again for the quick responses guys.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack View Post
then update to 4.06, trust me its worth it. The only downside to the later firmwares is the files are not sorted according to their ID3 tags anymore (genres etc) but sorted according to the folders they are in, which to some of us is a plus ^^.

.wpl doesnt work for me somehow, I might be doing it wrong though.

If you're gonna chuck all your mp3 files under \music\ without sorting them in sub folders, then go ahead and install SMS, its quite easy to get a play list up.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Where to put the playists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack View Post
Thanks guys.

I've tried creating both spl and wpl files and placing them in the following places:

\Music
\Music\Playlist
\Music\Playlists
\Playlist
\Playlists

Even tried placing the files in the root (i.e. Internal Storage).

Every time I get the "No File" message in Playlists on the K3 menu.

I'm really, really, really trying to avoid the Samsung software, but I'm starting to think I may have to install it

Thanks again for the quick responses guys.

If you have upgraded to the latest firmware, you should be able to go into windows explorer, open your mp3 player's drive, and put the playlist into E:\PLAYLIST, where E: is your drive.
Also make sure your format is right, when I started to manually make playlists i put in some information wrong. Right now I'm using many playlists in SPL format. and make sure when you put paths it's: \MUSIC\path\to\music\file\your file name.ext

Last edited by twitchie; 05-16-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: added clarity

Old 01-31-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Latest firmware is 1.8 if you get it from yepp.co.uk.

I've got this firmware and it opens everything up so you can see it..
I was just using a hex editor to look at the playlist files and noticed that it
was just ASCII spaced out over two bytes, when someone said UTF-16, I thought, Oh that's it, because of the asian languages need more characters they use UTF-16 to specify more characters than the 26 that the english language uses.

So to someone in china who use special word processors to write, this playlist file probably looks like a regular text file..

I'm using Ubuntu and the firmware upgrade to 1.8 made it so that I could hook the T9 to linux. Now I'm happy but am curious what all those dat files contain..

Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 AM

Default K3 Playlists on Ubuntu via Python

I'm an Ubuntu user (Jaunty) as well. Decided to finally get around to scripting something to generate playlists for my UMS K3. The general idea is that you let Rhythmbox "import" your K3 music when you plug it in, then right click on the device and create a New Playlist. Then you can drag/drop your K3 music files into that playlist, which will be saved in the root directory of your K3 with the extension PLS. Then you can take that PLS, move it into the PLAYLISTS directory and run my python script on it. The script is attached (rename it to plsToSPL.py to use). It will output an SPL playlist into the same directory which the K3 can read
Attached Files
File Type: txt plsToSPL.txt (825 Bytes, 58 views)