android
Old 07-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Rockbox Developer

Help Rockbox port to YP-S3

Hi, I'm a developer for Rockbox, an open-source firmware for mp3 players, and I ordered an YP-S3. I'm looking into porting Rockbox to this player, it has the same kind of system-on-chip (S5L8700) that is in a couple of other players that are currently also under investigation for a Rockbox port (e.g. Meizu M3/M6, possibly Ipod Nano 2G).

Doing a Rockbox port requires me to put my own compiled firmware on it which comes with the risk of accidentally making it inoperable (sometimes called "bricked"). Does anyone know if this player has some kind of recovery mode? For example some kind of key combo that can be held during boot that allows it to reset the firmware, or that allows to send a recovery firmware via USB (e.g. DFU - device firmware update mode)?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Samsung Moderator

That's a good idea.
Just a pity you did not order a P2 or a P3. It's more interesting than a S3.
Some people have begun a rockbox port for P2 but nothing operational for the moment.

Before trying to port rockbox on the S3, you have to check indeed if recovery softwares work with the S3.

Here is FWDN, the recovery software used by Samsung
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=26367

Old 07-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
That's a good idea.
Before trying to port rockbox on the S3, you have to check indeed if recovery softwares work with the S3.

Here is FWDN, the recovery software used by Samsung
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=26367
I don't think that telechips driver is going to work very well on the S5L8700 since they're different chips made by different companies, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Rockbox Developer

I consider the chance that a tool for the TCC will work on a S5L8700 quite small, but I'll have a try once I receive my YP-S3. Otherwise it would be great to find such a tool specifically for the YP-S3.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Rockbox Developer

Lightbulb

I received my YP-S3 today and played a bit with it. I've been able to upgrade it to 1.12eu firmware and convert it to MSC mode (RDS still works).

I noticed a couple of things:
* it is possible to activate an USB DFU (device firmware upgrade) mode by holding the power button while doing a hard reset with a pin through the hole in the back of the player. The USB vendor/product id in this mode is exactly the same as the USB VID/PID of the Meizu M6SL in DFU mode.
* using Linux, you see two drives in MSC mode. The first drive seems to show some interesting files (debug stuff?) in the SYSTEM folder. The second drive seems to contain all kinds of low-level configuration/setting files.
* when doing a hard reset by pushing a pin into the reset hole, it says "Checking firmware". I'm curious about what it would do if the firmware would not be OK.
* my guess is that booting upto the big S3 logo is done by some primary bootloader and that the flashing S3 logo is done by some secondary loader (or maybe the main firmware itself).

update: it seems the meizu_dfu utility from rockbox can indeed talk with the player in this mode and can upload a DFU upgrader program. This should allow us to run simple test programs (e.g. a rockbox bootloader) from RAM.

I'm collecting data that could help for porting to Rockbox on this wiki page on the rockbox website:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SamsungYPS3

Last edited by bertrik; 07-23-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:11 AM
Samsung Moderator

ok, good job
I hope you'll able to port rockbox onto the S3!
Still doesn't work for YH-820/920 and P2 so it would be the first rockboxed Samsung!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Rockbox Developer

Update:

I am now able to run some initial Rockbox code on this player. I'm using the DFU mode for this, this allows you to send some code to run from internal RAM. Since the code only gets copied to RAM, it's a quite safe method of experimenting with nearly zero risk of bricking the player. I am able to control the display (showing a little rockbox logo and some debug texts), backlight, radio, button LEDs, battery charger and read the hold/power switch, real-time clock, USB and battery voltage. This is nowhere near a state where I can play mp3's but it's a good start.

A big stumbling block to further development will be access to the filesystem on the NAND flash, because the original firmware uses a proprietary software layer to read/write from it. Possibly I can reuse code from the openiboot project for this. Also I can't seem to get any response yet from the touch key controller, the Melfas MCS-3080, there seems to be basically no documentation on this chip.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:45 PM

I have a YP S3 and it would be great having Rockbox on it. Keep it up

I am looking forward Thank you

Old 08-03-2009, 11:15 AM

If rockbox will work on S3 could it work also on S5? If not than is anybody trying to get it work on s5?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Rockbox Developer

I think that once the S3 is supported (which may take a long time, if at all), the S5 should not be very hard because I suspect they are very much alike w.r.t. hardware. I don't know anybody working on the S5.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:15 AM

i'll be waiting for this i really want rockbox hope it will work with my s3 best buy firmware..

Old 08-16-2009, 04:53 AM

Thumb Up

Roxbox It's a great mod!!
S3 is a nice, small and good sound player but has a limited audio formats support (doesn't support lossless) roxbox will resolve this limit...

Thank you bertrik... and good work

sorry for my bad English I'm Italian

Old 08-27-2009, 07:14 AM

is there any updates on this?...

Old 12-12-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketah23 View Post
is there any updates on this?...
up

We want Roxbox on S3!!!!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 AM

UP!!!
I can't wait anymore!!! Please Please Please port it to S3

Old 05-09-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrik View Post
Update:
I am now able to run some initial Rockbox code on this player. I'm using the DFU mode for this, this allows you to send some code to run from internal RAM. Since the code only gets copied to RAM, it's a quite safe method of experimenting with nearly zero risk of bricking the player. I am able to control the display (showing a little rockbox logo and some debug texts), backlight, radio, button LEDs, battery charger and read the hold/power switch, real-time clock, USB and battery voltage. This is nowhere near a state where I can play mp3's but it's a good start.

A big stumbling block to further development will be access to the filesystem on the NAND flash, because the original firmware uses a proprietary software layer to read/write from it. Possibly I can reuse code from the openiboot project for this. Also I can't seem to get any response yet from the touch key controller, the Melfas MCS-3080, there seems to be basically no documentation on this chip.
Hello! Can you please describe more detailed, how to run the test program on this player? I want to try this because i have a broken S3QR player with "works, but white screen" issue. I'd try to test it before disassembling it since i suspect it's a firmware problem. Any DFU drivers i tried do not work..

Last edited by SpaceStranger; 05-09-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: mistake

Tags
development, dfu, firmware, recovery, rockbox