android
Old 08-30-2009, 07:08 AM

Default Fuze vrs Clip

hey all, im looking to get one of these two mp3 players primarily for when im jogging or cycling but also to use when im travelling next year and was wondering how they shape up against eachother..

1) can u browse by folder with the fuze?
2) are there always gaps between tracks
3) does anyone have experience using the fuze when exercising and can comment on its suitability?

many thanks in advance

richx_uk

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-30-2009, 08:39 AM

1) Yes, with firmware upgrade

2) Yes, there are, but not huge gaps IMO. I believe it will be fixed soon with firmware upgrade

3) Sometimes I use it when I'm Mountain Biking and never had a problem with it. Of course, the clip is smaller, but I think the main problem with sports is the earphone wire, not the player.

Take care

Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 AM

wow dj vu

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The scroll wheel on the Fuze makes hunting for songs much easier than on the Clip.
The Fuze also has longer battery life, around 20 hours in real world usage, vs around 12 hours for the Clip(and I assume almost 12 hours for Clip+ as well, although having a card installed might decrease battery life a bit).

The Clip is better if you want a smaller player clipped to your shirt and tend to have albums or playlists play through. Imo finding individual songs on the Clip is annoying. It requires too many button presses. If you decide you prefer the Clip form factor, then get the new Clip+, which has a card slot built in.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The scroll wheel on the Fuze makes hunting for songs much easier than on the Clip.
I think the click wheel on the clip is faster to scroll through your music using the turbo mode

one thing about the clip, while it may not have as long a battery life as the fuze is does use a mini usb cable for charging instead of the proprietary connector that the fuze uses

if you are travelling and were to lose your cable it would be alot easier to find another one

i have both players and i like them both and if i were to travel i would probably take the clip because of the cable and i can use the charger from my cell phone to charge it

Old 08-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

With the Clip, it is too easy to overshoot what you are are looking for. The display on the Clip is also imo too small, and having 3 files on the screen at a time vs 6 on the Fuze makes a huge difference.

If you plan to use a Fuze while exercising, then get a case with a clip on it, so it can be clipped to a shirt or armband.

I have both the Clip and the Fuze. Overall I enjoy using the Clip much more than the Fuze, I don't have a case for my Fuze though. The annoying things about the Fuze are the proprietary connector and lack of a built in clip. The annoying things about the Clip is the very small screen, lack of a scroll wheel, and lack of folder browsing. If you are over 40 and have trouble reading small print, then you will have trouble reading the display on the Clip. The Fuze display is much larger, although I would still prefer that the items on it would be larger. Now that there is the Clip+, the lack of expandability on the Clip is not a factor.

Many will agonize over the Clip+ vs Fuze decision. If the budget isn't tight, I suggest buying both. If you buy just one, you will probably agonize that you didn't buy the other.

Last edited by JK98; 09-01-2009 at 10:08 AM.