android
Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 AM

i was wondering if i had done something wrong with the install of EAC on my home PC and that was causing the problem, so installed it on my work PC today.

i followed the instructions at Hydrogenaudio.org and included the new -v 2 code in the command line.

i still got the external compression error message ive attached the 2 compression pages to see if anyone can spot what im doing wrong

i changed the Paramater passing scheme from User Defined to Lame MP3 Encoder and 192kb variable then used Action -> Action -> Copy Selected Tracks -> compressed

this setting worked.

Now what id like to know is, is this going to give me the best quality archive rip that i can use to re-rip my CD later if needed and also for converting to mp3 etc?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recommended options.jpg (152.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg tweaked option.jpg (153.7 KB, 25 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 AM

I can't tell the difference between ~192 LAME and FLAC, so if you have the drive space, back all your CDs up to FLAC, and rip to ~192 LAME. But if you rip everything to ~192 LAME and keep all your CDs safe and pristine, you should be fine. I "borrow" from my local library, so I back up everything in FLAC

Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM

ah right......now im lost LOL

which ever setting i use on EAC, the FLAC or LAME the file produced is always a .WAV file, is this right?

what i want to do is make exact FLAC copies with EAC as achival backups of the cd's. i take it im not following the right instructions for doing this?

then i want to re-rip the FLAC files to 192k variable MP3 files with dBpoweramp to put on my S9. now that i can handle LOL

Its just EAC that causing me problems, ive been using jet audio to make FLAC copies so far and never had this trouble, but id rather use the best software to get the CD ripped right the first time round.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 PM

you set something wrong if you get wav files. you didn't select to rip to mp3.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 AM

after a bit of searching i found this site and its been the best ive read yet as explaining how EAC works. http://blowfish.be/eac/index.html

Followed the examples and it all works fine now, rips to mp3 no problem at all

Last edited by natty15d; 02-12-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Banned

I'm pretty new to a lot of this, and have just set up CDex and ripped a few with that, and want to compare it to EAC, just for curiosity, and because this is apparently a highly regarded program. I'm not an audiophile really, but I do want it to sound as good as possible without getting too carried away.I don't mind using more space on the player to get better quality. I listen to mostly hard rock and heavy metal, for whatever it's worth. Can anyone give me a brief description of how to set this program to rip some good sounding mp3s? Or, would I be just as well off just copying what the guide in the previous post says to do?I went from previously using Creative Media Explorer, where you just pick a bitrate, and that's it. CDex is similar it seems, but I still get a little lost with some of the settings and whatnot so, any suggestions anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by acillatem; 04-11-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acillatem View Post
I'm pretty new to a lot of this, and have just set up CDex and ripped a few with that, and want to compare it to EAC, just for curiosity, and because this is apparently a highly regarded program. I'm not an audiophile really, but I do want it to sound as good as possible without getting too carried away.I don't mind using more space on the player to get better quality. I listen to mostly hard rock and heavy metal, for whatever it's worth. Can anyone give me a brief description of how to set this program to rip some good sounding mp3s? Or, would I be just as well off just copying what the guide in the previous post says to do?I went from previously using Creative Media Explorer, where you just pick a bitrate, and that's it. CDex is similar it seems, but I still get a little lost with some of the settings and whatnot so, any suggestions anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....uration_Wizard
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....uiet_listening: use V3.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

Somehow, I think this is wrong....can anyone tell me if it is? I appreciate it immensely. Was I supposed to select "user defined encoder" instead? If so, then I'd have to pick a bit rate, but there is no option for VBR.....that is where I'm confused.The second picture shows what I end up with. It seems I should be able to select higher than VBR 192kbps. I'm thinking I'm still missing something in the compression settings, because I'm still not 100% there with understanding the command lines and such, so If someone could help me fine tune this,or tell me if this is good I'd appreciate it. Disregard the dbpoweramp properties window, that's what came up when I clicked properties.Thanks again,in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compression tab.jpg (72.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg properties.jpg (55.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by acillatem; 04-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Remember you are going for a file based on Quality not Bitrate. The bitrate will vary throughout the file based on how much information is present in a particular time frame. An audio player like foobar2000 will show the variations during play back. Most media info apps will only show a "snapshot" bitrate for a VBR file.

The info app you show says that it is looking at a V 4 quality file. Since I have a modest level of equpment and old ears I could probably live with that on my DAP but I would want something better for my home setup.

To get the quality you want just cut and paste the appropriate command line from the Lossy Setup Guide into the EAC>Compression Options>External Compression>Additional command-line options: box if you are ripping to .mp3. (See Attached)

The Lossy Setup Guide provides one:

-V 2 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

that will give a V2 .mp3

To change the quality setting change the numeral after the -V to any digit between 0 (highest quality) and 9 (lowest quality).

You can setup a user defined encoder by downloading the latest stable LAME encoder and pointing EAC to where it is. In my case it is inside the EAC folder on my desktop. The command line options will then set the encoding options. No need to change any other settings from the default or the settings outlined in the Setup Guide.

Good Luck.

Last edited by skip252; 08-30-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

Thanks! Yeah, I had it screwed up for sure......made it much more complicated than it needed to be, for sure lol! I'm assuming that command line would be fine for a Zen Vision M, yes? Maybe I'll rip a cd with that and one at 0, and see if I hear a difference. Appreciate it!

Old 07-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the links. They helped me a lot.

-------

Can anyone tell me if there is any problem when converting from V0 to V1 ? I think theoretically there isn't, because I'm changing a better quality file to a lower quality one, but the truth is that I don't know exactly how VBR algorithm works...

Thank you

Last edited by sovesky; 07-04-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovesky View Post
Thanks for the links.
You are welcome.
Quote:
Can anyone tell me if there is any problem when converting from V0 to V1 ?
Why convert? If you want V1, then just rip with the V1 setting. There should be no problems if you want to convert. Theoretically, there might be a tiny loss of sound quality that, depending on the individual that does the ABXing, might be discernable.
Quote:
I think theoretically there isn't, because I'm changing a better quality file to a lower quality one, but the truth is that I don't know exactly how VBR algorithm works...
Forget about how it works. What is important to understand is that can you hear a difference when you ABX the WAV with the MP3? At the V1 setting, most users will be unable to hear a difference with most music when ABXed. Even at the V3 setting, most users will be unable to hear a difference with most music when ABXed. The variable-bit-rate algorithm works by assigning more bits to relatively difficult-to-encode sections of the music and by assigning fewer bits to relatively easy-to-encode sections of the music compared to a constant-bit-rate algorithm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bit_rate

Old 08-30-2009, 11:20 PM

What lames settings do you use dfkt?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Samsung Moderator

Why does it matter? Do what you think sounds good. Honestly, unless your headphones/speakers cost more than the device that is outputting the sound then you probably can't tell the difference between anything v2/v3 and lossless.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 AM

I know i was just curious.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyer93 View Post
What lames settings do you use dfkt?
-v0 for music (it's usually overkill, but I don't care if it takes more space than, say, -v2), and -v8 -mm or -v6 for audio books, depending on the source material.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 PM

Do you use Replay Gain?