android
Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 PM

Default Sony S639 problem - need help!

I bought a Sony S639, and have two problems:

1) double albums end up track 1 track 1 track 2 track 2 etc. alternating between the two CDs. How do I solve this problem? Does the Sony S639 not support multiple Discs? As one solution, I started renaming/retagging my double CDs into 1 CD format. Rather than 1-10 and 1-10, I will just have 1-20. Discs are almost dead anyways, and a lot of my music started on Vinyl where there would be 4 sides rather than 2. All media players on my computer play Disc 1 and then Disc 2 and show them as one album.

2) Non DRM Files bought from iTunes in .m4a cannot be added to a playlist using Windows Explorer. I dread using Windows Media Player and have not tried that option. I may just convert them to mp3 to solve the problem.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

Hi. In the case of double or triple albums, I just have them listed as one folder, ie Stadium Arcadium as 1-28 instead of 2 separate folders.

I can't help you with your itunes stuff - the sony does play aac tracks, though.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 PM

for 2 what do you mean by playlist? are you referring to dragging and dropping the file onto the walkman? or adding it to a playlist say using windows media player?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
for 2 what do you mean by playlist? are you referring to dragging and dropping the file onto the walkman? or adding it to a playlist say using windows media player?
I drag and drop all files onto the Walkman. Once files are on the Walkman, I can right click and choose Create Playlist. Once the playlist file is created, I can add and remove files by dragging them onto the window. This playlist window will not accept the DRM Free aac files. It will accept any album in mp3 format.

The first screenshot is the error I receive when I try to drag .m4a onto the playlist window. Keep in mind I can play the album just fine. The second screenshot is the best solution for me regarding the double albums. I am suprised that this unit does not support Disc since every music player on my computer plays Disc 1 and Disc 2 in order while keeping them part of the same album.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg db.JPG (45.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg wall.JPG (69.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by javajeff; 09-12-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:21 PM

btw thanks for the tip, I never knew you could make playlists for the walkmans just via right clicking in vista, will have to add a tutorial for the blog for people. Now i know why it was not appearing on my xp pc, I had set the walkman to UMS on that comp and the playlist feature was missing there.

huh interesting, wonder why the player can't make playlists using m4a files. will have to check if there is anything regarding this in the manual or support site.

Last edited by Ascariss; 09-12-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:39 PM

One of the benefits is to have the option of using Windows Explorer rather than a media manager. Also, are they able to offer gapless playback with a bios upgrade? That is another feature that I miss.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:01 PM

here is a crazy idea, have you tried renaming the files to m4p? and then seeing if they are able to be used in a playlist?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
here is a crazy idea, have you tried renaming the files to m4p? and then seeing if they are able to be used in a playlist?
I believe that is the DRM extension.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 AM

jeff, I know but people have reported that some aac files are converted to wma by wmp11 before transfer even though they should not be. I do not use aac so it's the best idea I can think of. :P

Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 AM

First off, thanks for all of your responses. I am new to the forum, but it looks like a very useful resource.

I did that test, and it did not work either. I only have a handful of albums in aac formation that I bought from iTunes. I buy most mp3s from amazon, and they use mp3 V0 Extreme. I rip CDs to flac and convert to v0 Extreme as well, so 99% of my collection is in mp3 format. For what it is worth, I cannot tell the difference in sound quality between the iTunes Plus AAC and mp3 V0 Extreme. They both sound very good.

Does anyone know if Windows Media Player will allow aac files in a playlist? Does Windows Media Player organize music in folders by artist?