android
Old 09-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Lightbulb Homemade Alarm/Dock System

So its finally done, I've been working on this project on and off for the last few months. It costs about $25 depending on what you have lying around. I'll give instructions on both seeing as how most people wont be doing both.

Dock
There are many different ways to build a dock and there is a good guide out there(DIY Dock Guide) already so instead of re-inventing the wheel ill just provide the upgrades i put into mine.
The main problem i had to solve was that my speaker system had a male output and i have multiple inputs. to solve this i zip-tied a "Belkin Rockstar Headphone Splitter" (Where to buy it)

I also put an elastic band around the cable to that it would just slip on and off with having to pinch the clasps.

Thats pretty much it for the dock but the real awesomeness comes in the alarm part

PMP Alarm Clock
You will need:
Mp3 AC charger or adapter
Indoor Timer like this one
Audio cable (male to male)
Speakers/headphones
Optional:AC splitter, Alarm WPS
So as you might have guessed this works with players other than the e200 but that is where i started so that's what I'm going to explain. First ensure you have rockbox installed and you must have "Start Screen" set to "Resume Playback" and "Car Adapter Mode" set to yes. This makes it so that when the player is plugged in, it starts playing music.

The indoor timer i got works really well it has 20-some times for turning on as well as 20 times for turning off. It also has an internal batter so that you can bring it somewhere without worrying about losing your settings. I plugged in an AC splitter so i not have my speakers and my sansa plugged into it. This saves a little power instead of having the speakers on all night. i have one timer for each day depending on when my classes start, and one timer that turns it off around midnight so that i can still listen to music while im going to bed (on a different player)

Now, one of the drawbacks of this is that you have to set a song (or playlist) you want to wake up to on the player and plug it in while paused, so you cant listen to it unless you don't care about which song you wake up to. with the rockstar that i mentioned in the dock section, it allows me to have multiple players plugged in at once so i can still listen to music.

I now actually enjoy waking up, so much better than a cell phone or the radio. Enjoy and let me know what you think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1080.jpg (34.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1084.jpg (27.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1078.jpg (28.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1070.jpg (50.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0748.jpg (33.3 KB, 38 views)
2GB *Pink* Zen Stone with speaker + init silicon skin
Sony MDR-XD200 Skullcandy Smokin Buds

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
alarm, diy, dock, e200, homemade