android
  #1  
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Chensington's Avatar
Chensington Chensington is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont, United States
Posts: 317
Default PSP Charger Voltage Too High?

I just received my PSP charger, and I noticed that the output is 5.5V, which I'm pretty sure is too high. I just want a confirmation that I should NOT try to use this charger with my player, at the risk of frying it.

EDIT: The amplitude is much lower than the maximum the ZV:M can handle, so this is why I'm unsure.
__________________
[size=1]Sennheiser EH350 Headphones, Sennheiser HD202 Headphones, Koss KSC75, JVC HA-FX34, Creative Zen Mozaic (16GB, Black)
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Chensington's Avatar
Chensington Chensington is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont, United States
Posts: 317
Default

Just for reference, the amplitude is 800mA...
__________________
[size=1]Sennheiser EH350 Headphones, Sennheiser HD202 Headphones, Koss KSC75, JVC HA-FX34, Creative Zen Mozaic (16GB, Black)
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
musichound musichound is offline
Off-Topic Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 2,058
Default

I don't think there will be any problem with the PSP charger, but you might want to get the dedicated charger to be on the safe side
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 08-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Chensington's Avatar
Chensington Chensington is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont, United States
Posts: 317
Default

Okay then...so do you think I should just go ahead and use it? I mean, after all, it's not volts that fry a player, it's amps, and the amplitude is in an extremely safe range...
__________________
[size=1]Sennheiser EH350 Headphones, Sennheiser HD202 Headphones, Koss KSC75, JVC HA-FX34, Creative Zen Mozaic (16GB, Black)
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 08-03-2007, 02:39 PM
ZenChick's Avatar
ZenChick ZenChick is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Right... Behind... You...
Posts: 7,427
Default

I thought PSP's were 5-volt devices...
__________________
ZenChick - The one them iPod-owners warned you about!
Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB * Creative MuVo N200 1GB * Philips GoGear Vibe 4GB
Resident Linux Geekette ** Got IRC? Look me up on irc.freenode.net #AnythingButiPod
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 08-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Chensington's Avatar
Chensington Chensington is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont, United States
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
I thought PSP's were 5-volt devices...
They are, upon my research as well as yours. However, since the voltage is only slightly higher with a substantially lower amplitude, I think this charger might work. After all, voltage is just the rate at which the electrons are flowing, whereas amplitude is the actual amount of electricity being dealt with. It's amps that actually fry things, so that's why I think this charger might be safe. I just want a confirmation from someone else...
__________________
[size=1]Sennheiser EH350 Headphones, Sennheiser HD202 Headphones, Koss KSC75, JVC HA-FX34, Creative Zen Mozaic (16GB, Black)
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 08-03-2007, 04:26 PM
ZenChick's Avatar
ZenChick ZenChick is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Right... Behind... You...
Posts: 7,427
Default

Well, I've generally rated supplies that deliver within 10% of 5VDC to be safe; I don't see that this would be any exception.
__________________
ZenChick - The one them iPod-owners warned you about!
Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB * Creative MuVo N200 1GB * Philips GoGear Vibe 4GB
Resident Linux Geekette ** Got IRC? Look me up on irc.freenode.net #AnythingButiPod
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Chensington's Avatar
Chensington Chensington is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont, United States
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Well, I've generally rated supplies that deliver within 10% of 5VDC to be safe; I don't see that this would be any exception.
Well, that's good news to hear; I think I'm going to try it.
__________________
[size=1]Sennheiser EH350 Headphones, Sennheiser HD202 Headphones, Koss KSC75, JVC HA-FX34, Creative Zen Mozaic (16GB, Black)
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Jebus Jebus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chensington View Post
They are, upon my research as well as yours. However, since the voltage is only slightly higher with a substantially lower amplitude, I think this charger might work. After all, voltage is just the rate at which the electrons are flowing, whereas amplitude is the actual amount of electricity being dealt with. It's amps that actually fry things, so that's why I think this charger might be safe. I just want a confirmation from someone else...
Voltage is not the rate of electron flow. Current is the rate of electron flow.
Current or I is equal to Coulombs per second (coulombs are charge with 1.6 x 10^19 electrons = to 1 coulomb).
Voltage is the potential energy given to electrons to give them their speed. However small errors in voltage will not make a large difference, it is only when we jump into the thousands of volts as in a CRT tv that problems arise.
Current is a much bigger problem as a having a large number of electrons flowing through the circuit when it was designed to do so generates a lot heat. Heat naturally builds up and is the primary cause for the damage to your device. Thats why the old fuses melted out when too much current passed through them - thus breaking the circuit and avoiding damage.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 08-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Chensington's Avatar
Chensington Chensington is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vermont, United States
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Voltage is not the rate of electron flow. Current is the rate of electron flow.
Current or I is equal to Coulombs per second (coulombs are charge with 1.6 x 10^19 electrons = to 1 coulomb).
Voltage is the potential energy given to electrons to give them their speed. However small errors in voltage will not make a large difference, it is only when we jump into the thousands of volts as in a CRT tv that problems arise.
Current is a much bigger problem as a having a large number of electrons flowing through the circuit when it was designed to do so generates a lot heat. Heat naturally builds up and is the primary cause for the damage to your device. Thats why the old fuses melted out when too much current passed through them - thus breaking the circuit and avoiding damage.
Good for you....my charger works just fine, so I'm not gonna finish reading that.
__________________
[size=1]Sennheiser EH350 Headphones, Sennheiser HD202 Headphones, Koss KSC75, JVC HA-FX34, Creative Zen Mozaic (16GB, Black)
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 08-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Daas Daas is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chensington View Post
I just received my PSP charger, and I noticed that the output is 5.5V, which I'm pretty sure is too high. I just want a confirmation that I should NOT try to use this charger with my player, at the risk of frying it.

EDIT: The amplitude is much lower than the maximum the ZV:M can handle, so this is why I'm unsure.

I just got this psp charger: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1153997577065 and I would appreciate if someone can tell me if its fine.

it says:

Input: 100-240vac 50/60hz 0.3A
Output: +5Vdc -- 2.0a

the car charger does not say anything.

...and I will note that it says 5v and not 5.5v.

thanks.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 08-05-2007, 02:43 PM
ZenChick's Avatar
ZenChick ZenChick is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Right... Behind... You...
Posts: 7,427
Default

Daas: Your charger is perfectly suited for the ZVM.
__________________
ZenChick - The one them iPod-owners warned you about!
Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB * Creative MuVo N200 1GB * Philips GoGear Vibe 4GB
Resident Linux Geekette ** Got IRC? Look me up on irc.freenode.net #AnythingButiPod
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 08-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Glasstream15's Avatar
Glasstream15 Glasstream15 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The Oldest City
Posts: 210
Default

Under load, you'll get 5 volts out of it.

And the abreviation AMP is AMPERE not AMPLITUDE!! Way different terms, although we knew what you were talking about. Google those words for a full explanation.

NOTE: I hope this doesn't sound like I'm picking on somebody. We all had to learn and this is another opportunity for someone to straighten out some terms.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

The Dragon Calls! I must Go!
Canon EOS Rebel XT -- Canon Powershot S5IS
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 AM
lolic lolic is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Default

an philips adaptor for psp is good??
i mean input 220-230v, 50 hz. 8w

output 4.5v 400mA STABILIZED

Is it OK??
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolic View Post
an philips adaptor for psp is good??
i mean input 220-230v, 50 hz. 8w

output 4.5v 400mA STABILIZED

Is it OK??
Did you bother to check and see that this thread is around 2 years old? Lol,...someone should still help you though,...........

PS: That will work fine, as it's 4.5v & only 400ma.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.