android
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 AM

Default PSP Charger Voltage Too High?

I just received my PSP charger, and I noticed that the output is 5.5V, which I'm pretty sure is too high. I just want a confirmation that I should NOT try to use this charger with my player, at the risk of frying it.

EDIT: The amplitude is much lower than the maximum the ZV:M can handle, so this is why I'm unsure.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM

Just for reference, the amplitude is 800mA...

Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I don't think there will be any problem with the PSP charger, but you might want to get the dedicated charger to be on the safe side

Old 08-03-2007, 12:54 PM

Okay then...so do you think I should just go ahead and use it? I mean, after all, it's not volts that fry a player, it's amps, and the amplitude is in an extremely safe range...

Old 08-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I thought PSP's were 5-volt devices...

Old 08-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
I thought PSP's were 5-volt devices...
They are, upon my research as well as yours. However, since the voltage is only slightly higher with a substantially lower amplitude, I think this charger might work. After all, voltage is just the rate at which the electrons are flowing, whereas amplitude is the actual amount of electricity being dealt with. It's amps that actually fry things, so that's why I think this charger might be safe. I just want a confirmation from someone else...

Old 08-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I've generally rated supplies that deliver within 10% of 5VDC to be safe; I don't see that this would be any exception.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Well, I've generally rated supplies that deliver within 10% of 5VDC to be safe; I don't see that this would be any exception.
Well, that's good news to hear; I think I'm going to try it.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chensington View Post
They are, upon my research as well as yours. However, since the voltage is only slightly higher with a substantially lower amplitude, I think this charger might work. After all, voltage is just the rate at which the electrons are flowing, whereas amplitude is the actual amount of electricity being dealt with. It's amps that actually fry things, so that's why I think this charger might be safe. I just want a confirmation from someone else...
Voltage is not the rate of electron flow. Current is the rate of electron flow.
Current or I is equal to Coulombs per second (coulombs are charge with 1.6 x 10^19 electrons = to 1 coulomb).
Voltage is the potential energy given to electrons to give them their speed. However small errors in voltage will not make a large difference, it is only when we jump into the thousands of volts as in a CRT tv that problems arise.
Current is a much bigger problem as a having a large number of electrons flowing through the circuit when it was designed to do so generates a lot heat. Heat naturally builds up and is the primary cause for the damage to your device. Thats why the old fuses melted out when too much current passed through them - thus breaking the circuit and avoiding damage.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Voltage is not the rate of electron flow. Current is the rate of electron flow.
Current or I is equal to Coulombs per second (coulombs are charge with 1.6 x 10^19 electrons = to 1 coulomb).
Voltage is the potential energy given to electrons to give them their speed. However small errors in voltage will not make a large difference, it is only when we jump into the thousands of volts as in a CRT tv that problems arise.
Current is a much bigger problem as a having a large number of electrons flowing through the circuit when it was designed to do so generates a lot heat. Heat naturally builds up and is the primary cause for the damage to your device. Thats why the old fuses melted out when too much current passed through them - thus breaking the circuit and avoiding damage.
Good for you....my charger works just fine, so I'm not gonna finish reading that.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chensington View Post
I just received my PSP charger, and I noticed that the output is 5.5V, which I'm pretty sure is too high. I just want a confirmation that I should NOT try to use this charger with my player, at the risk of frying it.

EDIT: The amplitude is much lower than the maximum the ZV:M can handle, so this is why I'm unsure.

I just got this psp charger: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1153997577065 and I would appreciate if someone can tell me if its fine.

it says:

Input: 100-240vac 50/60hz 0.3A
Output: +5Vdc -- 2.0a

the car charger does not say anything.

...and I will note that it says 5v and not 5.5v.

thanks.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Daas: Your charger is perfectly suited for the ZVM.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Under load, you'll get 5 volts out of it.

And the abreviation AMP is AMPERE not AMPLITUDE!! Way different terms, although we knew what you were talking about. Google those words for a full explanation.

NOTE: I hope this doesn't sound like I'm picking on somebody. We all had to learn and this is another opportunity for someone to straighten out some terms.

The Dragon Calls! I must Go!
Canon EOS Rebel XT -- Canon Powershot S5IS

Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 AM

an philips adaptor for psp is good??
i mean input 220-230v, 50 hz. 8w

output 4.5v 400mA STABILIZED

Is it OK??

Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolic View Post
an philips adaptor for psp is good??
i mean input 220-230v, 50 hz. 8w

output 4.5v 400mA STABILIZED

Is it OK??
Did you bother to check and see that this thread is around 2 years old? Lol,...someone should still help you though,...........

PS: That will work fine, as it's 4.5v & only 400ma.