android
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 AM

Default MS needs to lower the prices of their Videos on the marketplace

....$30 for 12 episodes of Warehouse 13?????????????? No wonder people just go to Hulu or other means to get their videos....you can't charge that much when you can end up buying the complete season on DVD or Bluray for $24.99 or less.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

The prices are set by the distributor. You'll find that prices are fairly uniform between MS's services, and PSN. It's supposed to be the same as retail price, because if digital prices are made cheaper, it would alienate retailers. Since retail is still the primary means of distribution, pissing off retail chains is not a good idea.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 AM
ABI Founder

Agreed. But i wonder how much of the pricing has to do with content providers dictating it.

What i would love to see is a $49.99 Zune Video Pass that would give you subscription access to video. Then I can tell Comcast where to stick their $80 cable bill.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Agreed. But i wonder how much of the pricing has to do with content providers dictating it.

What i would love to see is a $49.99 Zune Video Pass that would give you subscription access to video. Then I can tell Comcast where to stick their $80 cable bill.
If Xbox/Zune could get HULU and somehow some sports package, i would get rid of cable as well. Hulu on laptop is alright, but to get full screen on my tv would be instant win.

I'm not so disappointed with the cost of individual shows here or there, but it would be awesome if they could sell box sets/seasons for a bit less.

How feasible would a Video Zunepass be for MS? In order to do it in a cost effective way for both consumers and MS, they'd have to combine xbox live, zunepass (adio/video) for much less than a monthly cable bill to make it worthwhile.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 AM

On the note of Hulu, it used to work on PS3 and Skyfire, but Hulu has since blocked their services on those devices. I think they're trying to work out some paid deal to get their content on external devices.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
ABI Founder

Hulu on Xbox would be perfect. Unfortunately, there is some really bad news on this. Comcast is trying to buy NBC Universal. They are doing this to stop Hulu from moving to set top boxes that connect over the internet- 80% of Comcast's revenue is based on cable TV, so they are doing everything they can to stop the TV over IP. Comcast sucks.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front..._NBCU_buy.html
Quote:
The deal would also help Comcast respond to the rise of digital content. It's no secret that Comcast head Brian L. Roberts is no fan of Hulu, the popular Web site offering free access to content from NBC, Disney, and News Corp. In effect, sites like Hulu let people have stuff for free that Comcast and others pay for.

Says Adgate, "All cable operators have concerns about the PC/TV convergence. If you're streaming content into your computer, what do you need a cable system for? If you're watching something on the Internet, you don't need a TV or the box on top of the set."

Old 10-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Hulu on Xbox would be perfect. Unfortunately, there is some really bad news on this. Comcast is trying to buy NBC Universal. They are doing this to stop Hulu from moving to set top boxes that connect over the internet- 80% of Comcast's revenue is based on cable TV, so they are doing everything they can to stop the TV over IP. Comcast sucks.
I'm not surprised. No technology lasts forever, it's eventually replaced. Some companies see this, and the spend R&D into the future, IE, Verizon moving from landlines to cell phones, TV, and internet. Others, like Cable companies, try to fight the change as much as they can. People are moving away from Cable, and it's good to see that the worst offenders, like TW and Comcast, won't survive the transition simply because they failed to invest into the future replacements.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 AM

I stream Play For Sure from my PC to my xbox360. Watch Hulu, etc in the living room on the TV.
Comcast still gets my money for the access via internet. Comcast is supposedly going to offer
Quote:
New Residential Tiers
  • Extreme 50, offering up to 50 Mbps of downstream speed and up to 10 Mbps of upstream speed at $99.95/month.*
  • Ultra, offering up to 22 Mbps of downstream speed and up to 5 Mbps of upstream speed at $62.95/month.*
http://www.comcast.com/About/PressRe....ashx?PRID=876 (Washington DC but supposedly to expand)

So they will still get our money as we cut back on regular cable TV content.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

What everyone needs to do is write to their representives and tell them not to let this buy out happen as it will create a monoply.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:36 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd View Post
What everyone needs to do is write to their representives and tell them not to let this buy out happen as it will create a monoply.
Thats one of the things that people have been saying about this deal. Even if they both reach an agreement on the deal they still have to get past the FTC... there are definitely concerns with Comcast holding back content from competitors such as DirectTV and NetFlix to name a few. It is way too much of a conflict of interest for a content provider to own content- hopefully it will be stopped by the FTC.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majg View Post
If Xbox/Zune could get HULU and somehow some sports package, i would get rid of cable as well. Hulu on laptop is alright, but to get full screen on my tv would be instant win.

I'm not so disappointed with the cost of individual shows here or there, but it would be awesome if they could sell box sets/seasons for a bit less.

How feasible would a Video Zunepass be for MS? In order to do it in a cost effective way for both consumers and MS, they'd have to combine xbox live, zunepass (adio/video) for much less than a monthly cable bill to make it worthwhile.
It's not Play For Sure, but PlayOn I use to stream Hulu. And ESPN360 does streaming on some games.
http://www.themediamall.com/playon $40 for the license after the trial period. PlayOn has some plugins to use for the NBA and NFL.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM

I looked around the marketplace and i saw some music videos but did i understand this correct that i have to buy the music videos? why this?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:28 PM

the only free stuff i can find on the marketplace is The Guild episodes (which is free anyways) and ep 1 s 4 of Dexter.....also notice you can't transfer movie trailers to the zhd, or am i doing something wrong.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

hello for hulu
http://tversity.com/pro/
it is $30 i believe, i have yet to try it, but i used to use tversity free to stream movies from computer to 360, now just put avi's on external hdd and hook usb to 360 to play movies. but looks like u can stream hulu
unfortonintly for me 60$ comcast tv is included in my rent and i cant say no >.< otherwise id do tversity lol

Last edited by bedojo; 10-05-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majg View Post
Hulu on laptop is alright, but to get full screen on my tv would be instant win.
This is why I have a computer hooked up to my tv. I can watch Hulu and Netflix Instant on there and it's awesome. I canceled my cable awhile ago.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Thats one of the things that people have been saying about this deal. Even if they both reach an agreement on the deal they still have to get past the FTC... there are definitely concerns with Comcast holding back content from competitors such as DirectTV and NetFlix to name a few. It is way too much of a conflict of interest for a content provider to own content- hopefully it will be stopped by the FTC.
Is it just Comcast doing this? I get my internet from a local company that has super cheap rates.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 AM

change their rental prices also, or keep them consistent....I rented a few movies from the marketplace (3 i think) and was paying maybe 240 credits (or whatever the hell they call them), then all of a sudden I had to pay 360 credits for The Burning Plains.