android
Old 10-14-2009, 07:50 AM

Help What's probably bad in a dead Fuze?

About half the lot of AS-IS FUZEs I just got appear totally dead. They show no signs of life either connected to a computer (the computer doesn't see them, even as unidentified devices, and no light goes on) or not.

Does this usually indicate a bad logic board, or could it be due to a bad battery or bad LCD, or something that hasn't occurred to me?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Rockbox Developer

I think Fuzes can be connected to USB with the LCD unplugged.

I didn't try without battery, but the similar Sansa Clip (v1) works with battery removed.

Did you try to unplug just everything (LCD / button board / battery) ?

You can also try http://s1mp3.org/en/docs_deadrec.php#short when plugging the Fuze to USB : the useless "recovery mode" can be accessed this way (on Linux a 0MB storage device is detected)

Old 10-15-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Did you try to unplug just everything (LCD / button board / battery) ?
I was looking for a general answer to my question before even opening them. This was based on the presumption that I'd have to salvage them for parts.

Quote:
You can also try http://s1mp3.org/en/docs_deadrec.php#short when plugging the Fuze to USB : the useless "recovery mode" can be accessed this way
Is the Fuze based on the same circuitry as this s1mp3 that I've never encountered before? Also, is 'the useless "recovery mode"' actually useful? If not, why do you mention it? I'm confused enough as it is. (If I could locate the smilie button, There would be one expressing frustration here.)

Quote:
(on Linux a 0MB storage device is detected)
And under OS X? I don't have either linux or Windoze running on any machine.

Last edited by aarons510; 10-15-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Clarification and amplification.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 AM

I want to make my general purpose clear. I'm not trying to fix one Fuze. I started with 11 of them that are either not working or have problems. I want to fix whatever problems can easily be fixed with those that are working, and salvage the usable parts of those that aren't working, or working very badly, to combine into a few good ones.

That's why I asked the question that started this thread. An answer might help orient me better in how to spend my time.

Tags
dead fuze