android
Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post
Bloody hell, theres the problem. Bluetooth will suck it dry of its battery life. When you don't need the Bluetooth headphones, use a pair of in-ears.

DNSe = Digital Natural Sound engine, the sound technology the Samsung P3 uses. If you click the menu when you're in a song and click DNSe, you can choose sound quality settings and make your own. I generally avoid it and stick to the Normal setting.
Lol, what's the point in having a P3 if you don't use DNSe?

Clothes maketh the man etc..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post

Because the Samsung P3 is still the best I've found for sound quality even without DNSe. Why tamper with already perfect sound?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Agreed! Although in all fairness, it's possible to go too far with the custom settings and end up with a really artificial sound. But used properly, DNSe can give you simply outstanding sound.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Since most of my library is metal, I find that DNSe doesn't compliment metal at all. But it does compliment the acoustic and rock stuff very well, like the calm Agalloch songs and The Decemberists, and post-rock like Jakob, EF, God Is An Astronaut, and Sunlight Ascending. It just isn't necessary for a lot of my library.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Since most of my library is metal, I find that DNSe doesn't compliment metal at all. But it does compliment the acoustic and rock stuff very well, like the calm Agalloch songs and The Decemberists, and post-rock like Jakob, EF, God Is An Astronaut, and Sunlight Ascending. It just isn't necessary for a lot of my library.
Agreed w/ the Decemberists - one of my favourite bands - they sound awesome with a judicious use of DNSe.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Agreed w/ the Decemberists - one of my favourite bands - they sound awesome with a judicious use of DNSe.
The Hazards of Love with a little bit of clarity is a spectacular experience. Spectacular album too, one of my favourites this year! I've been broadening my horizons to music this year and now I find I listen to pure folk and guitar pieces, I'm almost limitless now! Bad news is I've filled up my 32gb player :P

Old 10-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
The Hazards of Love with a little bit of clarity is a spectacular experience. Spectacular album too, one of my favourites this year! I've been broadening my horizons to music this year and now I find I listen to pure folk and guitar pieces, I'm almost limitless now! Bad news is I've filled up my 32gb player :P
Yeah, I love it. My favourite album of theirs is Castaways and Cutouts. Their stuff seems to be really well recorded/produced too.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I love it. My favourite album of theirs is Castaways and Cutouts. Their stuff seems to be really well recorded/produced too.
Fantastic album

Old 10-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Samsung Moderator

....Lets move this back on topic guys....

Anyway, bluetooth really isn't as much of a battery waster as you may think. At reasonable settings it uses about as much power as it would driving average resistance (~50Ohm) headphones at the same volume setting.

The largest factor affecting battery life is the screen. If it is left on continuously, then you are essentially getting the rated battery life for watching movies, which is around five hours. Turn the screen off when not adjusting things and your battery life will rocket back up.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
....Lets move this back on topic guys....

Anyway, bluetooth really isn't as much of a battery waster as you may think. At reasonable settings it uses about as much power as it would driving average resistance (~50Ohm) headphones at the same volume setting.
If you compare bluetooth, no screen off the whole time, compared to low ohm (16 ohm) earphones, it's a HUGE battery sucker.

With Bluetooth, no screen and volume at 25 with some DNSe settings used, I barely get 5 hours out of my P3.

Same DNSe, with my 16 ohm IEM's, I get 20+ hours and still have 1 bar on battery indicator (never have let it go till auto off unlike bluetooth mode).

I don't think the P3 is meant to drive high ohm headphones on it's own. I tend to think high ohm headphones are typically high end cans that really should have their own amp from what I understand. Usually designed for a home stereo system like Bose or Kenwood or Harman Kardon system.

Being Samsung's specifications of the P3 shows output to be:

Output power(@16 Ohm Earphones): 20 mW/Ch

Gives me the impression that the mini jack out is probably pretty close to 16 ohm impedance to give maximum power transfer to the common 16 ohm ear buds and iem head phones.

500 ohm headphones would get horrible power transfer and be extremely inefficient. To get the most power transfer you have to come as close as possible to matching the headphone impedance to the player's output impedance or so my old electronics teach, taught.

I could definitely see those headphones killing the battery very quickly.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Samsung Moderator

Hmm. That's news to me. I've used the P3, but my primary point of reference is the P2 and a Sony A800 series, neither of which have that significant of a battery drain with Bluetooth. Interesting.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Hmm. That's news to me. I've used the P3, but my primary point of reference is the P2 and a Sony A800 series, neither of which have that significant of a battery drain with Bluetooth. Interesting.
Ahhh yeah, another user here was also saying the P2 and bluetooth last a very long time. And just about everyone that has tested the P3 with bluetooth has had really close to the same results with only about 4-6 hours of playback when bluetooth is used.

One difference between P3 and P2 is that P3 utilizes DNSe 3.0 in bluetooth mode while the P2, I've been told, will not.