android
Old 09-13-2007, 03:31 PM

Help sms update???

does somebody know if samsung is still working for a sms update? i am asking because i am using sms for listening music lately and there are soem bugs. for example it just doesnīt maximize but the music is still playing and you just can quit the program via the task manager. another bus is that the computer just freezes when i am starting sms... it is weird.
but maybe samsung will release sms 6 when the new player generation is released and hopefully the video conversation is faster...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-21-2007, 03:44 AM

I just got an update this morning. In the UK. havent noticed any immediate differences, except there is a 'datacast' folder at the top but when i click it a load of korean lettering comes on the screen.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Default New SMS!

This is very odd... I just opened SMS and there's a new version! It now has a datacast tab, and I think it supports more video types to be converted. The weird part is that everything is in English, but the new datacast tab is in Korean! It makes no sense. I think that it my be like podcasts or something, but I'll mess around and see if I can change the language.

Also, instead of 'albums' they are now know as 'playlists'. More video conversion options also.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 PM

Really, mine doesn't want to find the update. I tried it with my firewall off, too...

"I guess you could call me a key lime pie noob."

Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t9-123 View Post
Really, mine doesn't want to find the update. I tried it with my firewall off, too...
It worked for me
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 09-22-2007, 06:51 AM

it was mainly just a update for the new players from samsung. for example is there an option to convert the video for the t10. here in europe it isnīt out yet so i guess it is just avaible in korea or something like that. maybe thatīs why mikeamanīs datacast is in korean

Old 09-22-2007, 09:49 AM

Actually I'm in the US so I have no idea why they would give an update in Korean...

Old 09-22-2007, 09:51 AM

Alright, now mine works. I tried it again and it found it. Unfortunately, there's not much to be interested in...

"I guess you could call me a key lime pie noob."

Old 09-22-2007, 11:07 AM

There's a new update now that makes it English so all is good now. lol.

Also, a word of advice: if you used any customized video settings (lowering the video bitrate, etc), they don't seem to work anymore.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:21 PM

anybody care to explain all this datacast stuff please? And where is the video conversion options?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:53 AM

Datacasts appears to be the Samsung term for podcasts. I was able to remove the Korean items installed by default and add in a couple of audio podcasts I receive and they downloaded with no problem. It's nice to not have to use a separate podcast application. Just right click it once it's downloaded and copy it to the player.

Interestingly enough, it seems to be downloading audio podcasts fine but not video podcasts. Anyone else had success with video podcasts?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:24 PM

My datacast is all in Korean... and how do you delete it? Do you just highlight and press delete?

Also, how do you add the datacasts/podcasts to the tab? Where can you download them?

Thanks,

Smarty

P.S. I would also appreciate if someone would tell me what a podcast is.. and why it is different from just downloading the song/video directly, instead of a podcast version.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
My datacast is all in Korean... and how do you delete it? Do you just highlight and press delete?
Correct. You can multi-select and delete all of the Korean ones in one shot.

Quote:
Also, how do you add the datacasts/podcasts to the tab? Where can you download them?
To add them you can create a folder (New Group button) to keep them organized and once you are in the folder, you can click Subscribe and it will let you post in the RSS url. Do a Google on RSS and/or podcasts and you'll see all of the things available out there.

Quote:
P.S. I would also appreciate if someone would tell me what a podcast is..and why it is different from just downloading the song/video directly, instead of a podcast version.
A podcast (per Wikipedia) is "is a digital media file, or a series of such files, that is distributed over the Internet using syndication feeds for playback on portable media players and personal computers".

To put it more simply, the major difference is how you receive/download the file. In a podcast, the file is downloaded automatically when new content is available (using the syndication feed mentioned above).

Old 09-27-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Assassin View Post
Correct. You can multi-select and delete all of the Korean ones in one shot.

To add them you can create a folder (New Group button) to keep them organized and once you are in the folder, you can click Subscribe and it will let you post in the RSS url. Do a Google on RSS and/or podcasts and you'll see all of the things available out there.

A podcast (per Wikipedia) is "is a digital media file, or a series of such files, that is distributed over the Internet using syndication feeds for playback on portable media players and personal computers".

To put it more simply, the major difference is how you receive/download the file. In a podcast, the file is downloaded automatically when new content is available (using the syndication feed mentioned above).
Assassin,

I thank you for such a clear response. Are there any good websites you would recommend for podcast? Also, I was wondering if you can use the podcasts from the Zen website... aka zencasts.

Thanks again,

Smarty

Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Assassin,

I thank you for such a clear response. Are there any good websites you would recommend for podcast? Also, I was wondering if you can use the podcasts from the Zen website... aka zencasts.

Thanks again,

Smarty
Honestly, I haven't done much searching for podcasts lately, I have a few specific ones related to hobbies/interests I have (audio technology, gaming, etc.) I've been following for a while, so I just added them to SMS to make it easier to download and synch them.

Do a Google on podcast and I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff. I think there are several good 'listing' websites that basically collect lots of podcast information into a searchable website/categories.

As far as podcasts from the Zen website, as long as they are just standard podcast files, I would assume there would be no problem using them with a Samsung player.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:52 PM

Digital Assassin,

I am planning to subscribe on some video podcasts, as well as some audio ones..

I have another quick question to ask though.

How long would it take for it to sync to the player? Will the video podcasts have to go through conversion also?

Can I transfer songs and etc. to the player while it is trying to update podcasts?

Does MediaMonkey work with the podcasts, and do I have to keep SMS open to get podcasts on it.. and is it possible to use some other podcast program?

Also, where would the podcasts be located on the player?

Thanks,

Smarty

Edit: Since this thread is about SMS, I have a feature question. Can SMS automatically look for new files (aka. Auto Library Update) by specifying a folder? If so, how? This is because I HATE looking for the file by pressing add file.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 PM

worked for me

Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 PM

no problems

Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 AM
Banned

i am getting updates from my networks regarding sms updates its really nice thing about it.