android
Old 11-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Possibility to fix HD?

For no apparent reason (it was just lying on my desk, didn't even drop it) my ZVM froze. Since it didn't respond, I used a paperclip to reset it. This brought up the recovery mode. First I went with "Reboot", which just brought me back to the recovery mode. Then I wanted to delete the firmware, which gave me a "Harddisk Problem". The Scan Disk starts, but does nothing (I waited nearly one hour). Formatting (I have a backup anyway) just gives me the same Harddisk Problem. The MP3 Recovery Tool tries installing a new firmware (well, tries installing the same one again), but freezes shortly before completion. The player IS recognized when I connect it, although it claims to be empty (which is entirely possible, maybe formatting DID work), and I can't transfer anything on it.

Now, I've already been looking aroung the web a bit, including this forum. What I found is "Yes, happens all the time", and "It's easy to open and fix it, or if that doesn't work, replace the hard drive." Indeed, opening it is no problem, and it's lying there in front of me. Still "working", I left the battery connected and only opened the case, so I can still turn it on (and get the usual recovery mode). With the case open, I can even hear the HD working, although at first it makes pretty ...strange noise, hard to describe. Even sounds a bit like music at first. After about 30 secs it changes to a barely audible whir, which may not even be the HD itself but something else in there.

Now, the point is, if I can help it I DON'T want to replace it. That's the next step. But first I want to try fixing it. I read it happens that a connection comes loose and the HD is not found anymore. So, which connection would that be? Is there any way to check it? And if yes, can I reconnect it?

EDIT: Uhm, I actually wanted to post that in the repair forum. Can someone move it there?

Further EDIT: Since I am extremely impatient I continued messing around with it. I unplugged the HD but left the battery in, with the result that ...nothing changes. Still the same recovery screen. So the problem is definitely with not-noticing-the-HD-is-there. It can't be completely dead, because it still makes noise, but this may not mean anything. The whir I mentioned above is not the HD, it's something else, probably the main board.

Last edited by Viktor Crowford; 11-28-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's either the drive is bad the connector or both.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 AM

Well, I have pretty much given up on the HD, because "making strange noise and then being completely silent" is usually no healthy sign. So i am probably going for a replacement HD. I have seen the "Known Working Swaps" in the repair forum, and noticed that everyone mentions which HD was in there in the first place. Does it matter? Can I replace specific HDs only with specific HDs, or will every HP that's listed there work in my ZVM. And by the way, since I've never noticed that distinction, what's the difference between the 60GB Slim and 60GB fat? Mine is pretty "fat", but I guess he could be even fatter? About what measurements are we talking here?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The player you have is it a 30GB or a 60GB?? If it is a 30GB then the 60GB slim drive fits. The original 60GB players have a slightly thicker back plate from the 30Gb model so that is where depth matters. The older players had a different ZIF connectors than what you see in the later model. The slim drive connector looks like the later one but is thinner where it connects to the drive. This seller on Ebay should be able to help you further & he is a forum member http://shop.ebay.com/creative_mp3_te..._from=&_ipg=25

Old 11-29-2009, 04:26 PM

My player is a 60GB. If this photo is any indication, than my player is the slim version. It came with a Seagate ST760211DE HD. What I want to know is, if I remove this HD, can I swap it with any other HD that uses the same connector and physically fits into the case? Or is there something else I have to consider?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If the thinner one is the one you have then you can use the slim 60GB drive. It also comes in a 80GB model. The difference between the drive is the depth of the drive. I think it is 5mm for the slim drive.