android
Old 11-23-2009, 04:49 PM

Default Some questions about Sony mp3 player

Hello,

New to the forums. I'm looking into buying a new mp3 player and was looking into the new Sony line. I have an older one I got about 4 years ago which I love but looking for more capacity and such.

I was looking into the S545 and E345.

I realize that Audible is not supported on the Sonys for Audiobooks. Although I could have sworn I saw a comment from someone in one of the reviews that stated they used that service. Is it easy enough to just buy an audiobook cd and rip it to use with the Sony? I'm not too familiar with audiobooks so I wasn't sure if it has separate tracks or if it's just one large mp3 file. Can the Sony be stopped and then pickup where it left off?

A requirement would be a timer since I like to use it at bed time.

Lastly, not really looking for a portable movie device but was considering putting on 1 or 2 movies that were ripped from DVD. I saw some recent threads on the subject and was wondering if it's easy enough and some of your experiences.

Thank you for your input. Is there an older Sony model I should look at rather than the new series? I also considered looking into Sansa Fuze.
I was going to ask about Album art but it looks like that's offered on the models.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

I wouldn't buy the Sonys for audiobooks. I've done most of the Sony reviews on the site and I use audible, but I dont use it on the sonys
As for audiobooks on CDs, thats not a good solution. Youc an read my guide to audiobooks on MP3 players:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...p3-players.php
There are some services on there that offer MP3 audiobooks. However, one disadvantage of both other services and CD audiobooks is that Audible produces a lot of the books themselves so you cant get them other places. I'm publishing a review of Audible tomorrow, so I'd urge you to read that and see if it's a service you would enjoy- then get a player that can use it if so.

As for Sony models, my favorite is still the A820. Since then, the buttons have become crappy and the features a bit random. The A820 is IMO the best Sony player ever made, though your mileage might vary- you have to look at what features the various models offer too. The S540 and E340 have very annoying buttons though, IMO. Also, while the Sonys do resume after being turned off, they don't have any dedicated audio book section like the sansa clip, clip+ and fuze have- with those it will remember the position not only when being turned off, but also after being connected to a PC, after you've played music etc. Dedicated audio book features is IMO very important for people who use audio books.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Andreas,

Thank you for your prompt response. I'll definitely keep a look out for your column.

I browsed over the review again of the S540 and that's where I saw someones comments that they used audiobooks without a problem on it. They didn't go into details though. Really, I'd like to get a nice player for a bunch of music with the album art and maybe some audio books. The video portion isn't mandatory. I guess a device like the Zune would be more capable for that. But would like to wind down with some music or a good audiobook at night. If I could add a movie or two that would be nice. My only experience has been been a positive one with my previous Sony so that's why I looked hard at the new Sonys. I'll look at the clip+. The fuze may be worthy as that has a video display.

Regarding the audiobook dvd's. Are they usually one big track on the cd? I was asking in case I got a hold of one and could rip it.

I'll keep browsing the site and look at the recommendations and such.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Audiobooks on CD have tracks like normal CDs- not one big track. The commenter who mentioned audiobooks was referring to a service other than audible, that uses MP3 or some other normal format that works on more or less any player. As I said those are fine, but the selection is a lot smaller than audible. You also lose a lot of features that dedicated audio book players have, such as a better resume feature, playback speed, chapters etc.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the info!

Sent you a pm.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

" I'll look at the clip+. The fuze may be worthy as that has a video display. "

Video on the Fuze is poor quality and a headache. It is best avoided. Photos on the Fuze are worthwhile though. Otherwise the Fuze is a great budget player. The Fuze and Clip+ will let you play part of a book, some music, then turn off the player, and it will guide you back to the last played audiobook file when you choose audiobooks, and it will give you the choice to resume where you left off. That is for tagged books being played in album mode. The players have folder navigation as well, however if you play part of a book in folder mode, some music, then turn off the player, when you turn it back on the player won't remember which audiobook file it was in the middle of playing. The Fuze and Clip+ work well with most headphones 16 to 32 ohms, however they don't work so well with headphones much over 32 ohms(they don't do a good job powering my 64 ohm Sony V6), and won't work so well with headphones under around 100 db/mw. The sound quality on the Clip+ and Fuze is quite good, however the equilizers on them don't work well and imo should be avoided.