android
Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

just buy it from japan, u still can use it without need to know japanese language, its what i do with my sony x1000 japan version

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

It's just tech lust - I don't really need anything, but I'm going to wait a while and see what becomes availlable.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 PM

Really like the S640/S740 series with 32Gb/64Gb versions!

It's hard to buy from Japan if the stores won't export the items!

I did find some stores that will, but due to the Yen's appreciation, the items will be pretty darn expensive, similar to the iTouch! Ouch!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:33 PM

Now before I buy this device, I Must know...can you drag and drop your mp3's straight into the player in my computer with no extra strings attached? Or do you have to install software such as garbage SonicStage, Media Manager or WMP to transfer your songs from the computer to your player?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Yes, you can drag 'n' drop with no strings attached with the Walkmans (been able to since the old S61X and A81X), so I'd assume it would still be the same with this one.

Last edited by quintets_man; 10-19-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintets_man View Post
Yes, you can drag 'n' drop with no strings attached with the Walkmans (been able to since the old S61X and A81X), so I'd assume it would still be the same with this one.
I owned a Walkman Sony NW-S616F a while ago and I remember I could not drag and drop the MP3's into the folder through my computer. Maybe because it wasn't the right format, I think if you could drag and drop the files have to be ALTAC or whatever format. Is that possibly the case with the new slim S series or can you for sure drag and drop MP3's straight onto the device for sure?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:57 PM

I have an NWZ-S616F and I can just drag 'n' drop all my MP3s through Windows Explorer just fine. Not really sure what your problems were . Perhaps it was because it was the Japanese model (NW)?

Anyway I'm sure the Walkmans support drag 'n' drop since I've tried it on my S616 as well as my A818 and they both worked fine. And there are quite a few people here on these forums who have more recent Walkmans and they have no problem using drag 'n' drop.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintets_man View Post
I have an NWZ-S616F and I can just drag 'n' drop all my MP3s through Windows Explorer just fine. Not really sure what your problems were . Perhaps it was because it was the Japanese model (NW)?

Anyway I'm sure the Walkmans support drag 'n' drop since I've tried it on my S616 as well as my A818 and they both worked fine. And there are quite a few people here on these forums who have more recent Walkmans and they have no problem using drag 'n' drop.
Thank you for your reply and your good information! That's exactly probably why I had problems dragging and dropping in Windows Explorer, because I was the Japanese version.

I'm gonna buy the S544 than. Thanks again!

Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 PM

No problem, just make sure to get better headphones though, since the stock ones with the S544 aren't that impressive.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring View Post
Thank you for your reply and your good information! That's exactly probably why I had problems dragging and dropping in Windows Explorer, because I was the Japanese version.

I'm gonna buy the S544 than. Thanks again!
If you have the $$, I would recommend getting the 545....double the memory for not much more money. And as quintest_man said, you can drag and drop directly to it. Sony's manual and "Content Transfer Software" programs are on the player....you can put them on your computer(or not) then format the player to free up all the memory it has for your stuff.

I never even tried the headphones that came with my S545...I included them with my Sansa Clip when I sold it.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:38 AM

could anyone please tell me what's the write speed of the s545 while loading the songs? Because i heard that the e445 was quite slow and this one is quite similar.

Also, which 16 gb sony player would you buy right now with tactile controls, good battery life, good write speed, FM, mic recorder and possibly good build quality? I don't care about video

thanks in advance

Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 AM

Hello i saw a youtube video of this mp3 player and he said one thing he didn't like about it is that you can't listen to the fm radio using the headphones you have to use the external speakers is this true i couldn't find anything that said otherwise the e series lets you listen to fm with the headphones

Old 12-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james20 View Post
Hello i saw a youtube video of this mp3 player and he said one thing he didn't like about it is that you can't listen to the fm radio using the headphones you have to use the external speakers is this true i couldn't find anything that said otherwise the e series lets you listen to fm with the headphones
You have to use the headphones.....the headphone cord is the antenna for the radio.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:41 AM

You can listen to FM through headphones or the built-in speakers. But something has to be plugged in to the headphone jack to get good FM reception. Either headphones or a 3.5mm audio out cable. If you are listening to FM through headphones then they are your antenna. If you are listening to FM through the built-in speakers, you still need something plugged in to act as an antenna. You can have headphones plugged in but the audio output switch set to "speakers".

Matt

Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 AM

Not sure if anyone has come across this but I found the frequency response graph useful, especially since the site also has the graphs for the s545 and e443. It's definitely true that the s545 and e443 sound identical. The s745 (I guess this will be the s740 for those of you in the US and Canada) seems to sound different and potentially more bass oriented according to this: http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/musicpl...59846-2,00.htm.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:17 AM

I already bought this player, sound and NC not as good as s739. and my concern is about the battery life sony claim 43 hours of music (in their manual said minimum 29 hours) but mine is just less than 10 hours. i'll claim to sony 2morrow. I bought in KL.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyazaki View Post
Not sure if anyone has come across this but I found the frequency response graph useful, especially since the site also has the graphs for the s545 and e443. It's definitely true that the s545 and e443 sound identical. The s745 (I guess this will be the s740 for those of you in the US and Canada) seems to sound different and potentially more bass oriented according to this: http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/musicpl...59846-2,00.htm.
Thank you for the link.
But now that I can see the two S740 and S730 side by side, I finally find the rounder edges of the older more elegant... Maybe black is not the best S740 color.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustyawan View Post
I already bought this player, sound and NC not as good as s739. and my concern is about the battery life sony claim 43 hours of music (in their manual said minimum 29 hours) but mine is just less than 10 hours. i'll claim to sony 2morrow. I bought in KL.
Sony has been doing that a lot lately, they been undercutting battery life...kinda disappointing. Because this is very thing people respect this company for outbesides sound...

Old 12-11-2009, 04:05 AM

x2 KYSG. I think many people like Sony for the claimed battery life. If it really doesn't sound as good as the old s model than I doubt I will like it much (I actually prefer the sound of the current S and E models to the previous generation S639/739). Bit sad that it's not getting better. But I guess we'll have to wait till more people get hold of one to get a wider opinion.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysg View Post
Sony has been doing that a lot lately, they been undercutting battery life...kinda disappointing. Because this is very thing people respect this company for outbesides sound...
I've never done a full-out test of my S545 battery life, but it is certainly better than my Sansa Fuze was, especially with 'phones that don't need any EQ. Of course, you would expect this from the rated batt. life of the 2 players.