android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman A Series

Old 11-19-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tichadok View Post
Hello, do you have any news about the playlist issue with MediaMonley; I'm in the exact situation: Sony NW-A846 MediaMonkey to manage my music library. And by the way, could someone translate all the menus in english (or french ;-) )? I will try to do an excell file to begin the translation . Thanks
no further forward - i spent a lot of time looking in to this - tried many things - nothing... you can get playlists on there if you use SonicStage - either the v.3.4 which was the last time Sony bothered with an Eng. lang. update, or the V (5) which comes with the player but is only in Japanese!

menus? i have the X Series too so i could cross ref. the menus - plus i can read a little Japanese... i can maybe help you out a little on this if you still need it - let me know...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 AM

I am sorry that I don't have a Windows machine at hand right now to help you better. But I've found this post on the web explaining the idea: you must find a model .inf file to modify with your model informations, if you know how to find your device IDs in Windows (it must be somewhere in the hardware properties deep inside the control panel).

You can find a wpdmtp.inf file to download but my advice would be to first search for a sample inside your C:\Windows\inf\ directory.
Why not look for a definition already from previous Sony models?
As Sony's vendor ID is 054c and for example the NWZ-A815/NWZ-A818 model's ID is 0325, a USB key would be:USB\VID_054C&PID_0325.
For the NWZ-A826/NWZ-A828/NWZ-A829 the complete ID is 054c/035b so the key should be: USB\VID_054C&PID_035B.

So using Windows integrated search tool, try to find a file containing an existing Sony USB-MTP key in C:\Windows\inf\.
Once you got a usable .inf file, copy it somewhere safe as wpdmtp-sonyA840.inf for example to edit it in order to add your new IDs. If successful, you will be able to change the driver for your A840 by pointing on your new .inf file.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:34 PM

I tried to investigate on a Windows 7 RC machine today. I haven't found a true MTP database .inf file. But there is a Windows/inf/wpdmtphw.inf file containing some entries for some Nokia, Samsung and more devices. It seems to be a template. You could try to add your entries in a copy of this file.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 AM

meetooman - i certainly appreciate your efforts and help here!

I'm not confident i really follow what you're getting at, but i'll certainly investigate (mess around!) and see what i can see...

I'll let you know how i get on (probably come back and ask more questions!)...

many thanks again...

EDIT:
i found the .inf files you mentioned.

the post you pointed me to is interesting, but because it's from early '06 and refers to XP, it's a little out of date and the current wpdmtp.inf file it refers to does not contain the same text so i can't follow the directions....

I found this (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd419915.aspx) on MS's site and it does look interesting, but I can't follow it at all!

Also digging around under Device Manager, the A846 is currently showing up under both Disk Drives as 'Sony Walkman USB Device' and Portable Devices as 'Walkman'...

Does this confirm that it is both MSC/MTP? (the X and 829 for eg. only show up under Port. Dev. and appears to have both MTP and USB drivers)...

However, if I choose to Update Driver on the 846, it will not permit/recognise an MTP driver... and if i let Windows determine the driver, it allocates 'Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver' - which is in fact the existing driver for the device (the existing drivers on the X and 829 are MTP)...

any ideas?!?!?

Last edited by fugusushi; 11-23-2009 at 08:33 AM.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Well, I went to read the japanese Sony site this morning. I now understand that the majority of domestic Sony's players are still using SonicStage, so obviously the old proprietary protocol. The MTP/MSC models must be the "F" versions.
The official site says that the A840 uses SonicStage. That could mean that your exotic player may really not be a USB MTP class device and will never be recognized as such whatever Windows trick you can try.
In that case there is no other hope for MTP/MSC than getting another firmware when the international availability of a A840F will come (if the hardware is the same).

Now to resolve your playlist issue, I would tell you that you could check JSymphonic, it seems to be a great project developed to support file transfers with SonicStage compatible Walkman series. But I can not see any mention of playlists on the documentation....

You got one option left: install SonicStage V. It's supposed to be a Japanese only software, but some people have managed to get it installed on their non-JP Windows.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
Well, I went to read the japanese Sony site this morning. I now understand that the majority of domestic Sony's players are still using SonicStage, so obviously the old proprietary protocol. The MTP/MSC models must be the "F" versions.
The official site says that the A840 uses SonicStage. That could mean that your exotic player may really not be a USB MTP class device and will never be recognized as such whatever Windows trick you can try.
In that case there is no other hope for MTP/MSC than getting another firmware when the international availability of a A840F will come (if the hardware is the same).

Now to resolve your playlist issue, I would tell you that you could check JSymphonic, it seems to be a great project developed to support file transfers with SonicStage compatible Walkman series. But I can not see any mention of playlists on the documentation....

You got one option left: install SonicStage V. It's supposed to be a Japanese only software, but some people have managed to get it installed on their non-JP Windows.

Good luck!
well i certain really appreciate all your efforts!

yeah, it works with Son.S. and came with 'V'... it will work with SS (4.3 and V) and will put playlists on with it (although i could install V, i wasn't able to use it - my Japanese isn't good enough and it's not that intuitive). But when i check the player, whilst the music and playlists are accessible via the menu and play just fine, they are not visible at all via Explorer - they just don't show up!

with V it could install ATRAC Lossless which sounds pretty interesting, but with 4.3 i can only install ATRAC 220... not so great.

i think your suggestion of changing the firmware at the first opportunity is the only way left to go. I've read some suggestion of EU release early in NY - i guess we'll see...

what Sony think they're doing, well, i don't think even they know!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:19 AM

So it's pretty much confirmed that it is impossible to make a playlist without using Sonic Stage/X-App? I do not think Sony Walkman supports m3u or pls formats (In which case you could just use Winamp to make the playlists), and since from what I read in your posts Windows Explorer playlists also do not work, I can't think of any other way.

I was really hoping a proprietary software would not be required...