android
Old 09-12-2009, 08:35 AM

Default X-Fi2 features questions

the photos and specs looks promisning but i have a few questions:

1. is there an option to manually or automatically rotate he screen vertically?
or is it possible to incorporate such feature in a future firmware update?

2. is Creative known for frequent firmware updates like the Samsung's and Cowon's?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1. Photos can be rotated on the screen easily. An obvious icon. Tap to rotate 90 degrees clockwise. Keep tapping. Each tap gets you another 90 degree spin.
2. I don't know. Not enough experience with Creative's players.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 PM

well the general consensus is that creative is no longer "creative" and falling behind in the mp3 player game. i have a zen and a stone and while i love both, firmware updates are rare. creative seems to create a player, then abandon it and attempt to create a new player once the previous player is "functional" (dont get me started about the SD integration:P)
2GB *Pink* Zen Stone with speaker + init silicon skin
Sony MDR-XD200 Skullcandy Smokin Buds

Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The more I play with this one, the more I like it. No telling if they'll update it more than once, but it's a decent player at the moment. All the apps seem to have the fundamental parts. More than I can say for the Cowon S9 when it first came out. The screen is no OLED, and must be the bargain size to buy at 3" and 400 x 240, 262k colors. An odd thing though is that the included sample photos are 480 x 272 and when you hit Zoom it declares they are already at their maximum resolution.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 AM

Completely new and so have probably missed it, but can anybody confirm whether this player accepts HC cards. I've read that people are using 16GB cards on the x-fi but as this was a micro slot, I wasn't sure.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've got an 8gb microSDHC card in mine and it works fine.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:25 AM

Cheers for that. My mind's pretty made up. I've been considering the Archos 3, the R1 or the Zen X-Fi2.

As it's mainly for MP3s and audiobooks, the Fi2 was winning but I'd also like to play some Flac albums and the occasional video, with a SDHC card I can have the best of both world :-)

Now I've just got to wait until it's released here :-!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackavi View Post
Where is "here", mackavi? You can order the X-Fi2 from amazon.com in the U.S., or Creative's own web site.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Hi Olley,

Thought I'd added it to the profile page - here is the UK. It's available for pre-order on Amazon UK and Play with the closest date now move until the 8th October. I should probably just bite the bullet and pre-order, but I came close to that with the Archos and then they released details of X-Fi2 and I decided to wait.

Mack

Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Archos 3 seems decent but no SD card slot & vids needing conversion is deal breaker.

I'll retract my statement regarding Samsung...must say they've begun to impress me. The "R0" seems pretty neat. I'd surely try that player out before a Cowon one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackavi View Post
Cheers for that. My mind's pretty made up. I've been considering the Archos 3, the R1 or the Zen X-Fi2.

As it's mainly for MP3s and audiobooks, the Fi2 was winning but I'd also like to play some Flac albums and the occasional video, with a SDHC card I can have the best of both world :-)

Last edited by skybluedream; 12-08-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:03 AM

How does this player compare to the Cowan S9 and the MS Zune HD?

Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Klezmer... All three have g-sensors. All three have gotten at least one firmware update since coming out. Zune HD and S9 have better, larger OLED screens. Niether the S9 or HD have microSD expansion cpability. Codec support varies between the three. I have all three, and until Microsoft gets serious about apps for the HD my S9 is my favorite. The S9 has the best battery life of all three.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:08 PM

Regarding your questions -

1.As of now with the latest firmware update the G-Sensor comes into use while only viewing photos.

2.In future updates for sure it could be done, I would like the menu system to be vertical in the future firmware updates.

3.Creative is known to update their firmware only if the player has problems as such BUT
this is perhaps the first time that features have been added in a Creative player with a firmware update (the G-Sensor & Sudoku game being unlocked/added are examples)

So I say its 60-40 maybe Creative is heading in a new direction & we might get some more goodies through firmware updates! Keep your fingers crossed!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 PM

I have a number of players and I use some of them for audiobooks, some for old time radio, some for audiodrama and some for videos.

If what you want is a really good audiobook player this might or might not be a good one. Creative has made good audiobook players in the past. Others to look at are the Sansa Fuze, the Sansa Clip+ and any of the Cowons.

Personally I like a small player for audiobooks so if I get a Zen X-Fi2 it'll be for videos. It's a little bigger than it needs to be for audiobooks.

Also features such as screen rotation mean very little when you're listening to an audiobook.

Barry

Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 AM

Regarding Creative Zen firmware upgrades, I think it's not a straightforward thing...

When they relased the Zen, they did one upgrade, then they started releasing variations of the player with the MX and the X-Fi and such.

When the X-Fi2 came out, it was clearly not ready for market, and so several upgrades have been released, most likely to play catch up and get it where it should have been initially. With the latest upgrade, the G-sensor suddenly became apparent. Also LUA app support was shown, but upon inquiry Creative appeared apathetic about its value.

Note that Creative has also been soliciting involvement in the Zii Egg. I think they might be worried (or should be) that if they just leave the X-Fi2 floundering, then no one will take their commitment to the Egg seriously.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:45 PM

I don't think they'll be releasing the Zii Egg for consumers. They're making it look as a platfrom a la Nvidia Tegra.

Then again if they don't find any takers for their platfrom maybe they'll make a consumer version.

The current Zii Egg they sell through their site for developers is utter crap, I don't think anyone would want that...last time I checked the camera stopped working on that thing with a new firmware they just disabled it!

Even if they make a consumer version they should make one for the Zii Trinity. Zii Egg looks yesteryear in front off Trinity.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I don't think they'll be releasing the Zii Egg for consumers.
Umm..OK.
I guess my point really was that normally a device is developed to a point where it's considered to be market ready quality, then released. And subsequent firmware upgrades are offered in response to the stress-tests of real world consumer use. But that for the X-Fi2, the upgrades seem to have been more for playing catch-up, and that they're possibly PR driven, rather than for normal suppport.

For me, the X-Fi2 is a very nice little player, it's just weird how Creative is handling it.