android
Old 12-05-2009, 10:13 PM

Default X-Fi2 randomly shuts off

I just purchased the xfi-2 and have experienced a continuing problem with the unit.

After the initial charge, the player locked up after 2 minutes and proceeded to make a buzzing noise. I reset the player and turned it back on. Now the player randomly shuts off.

I used it for 10 minutes and it shut off. When I restart it a scanning disc notice comes on. The time until shut off varies. It can be as little as a few minutes and as long as several hours. There is no set pattern.

I got a great deal on this unit, only $179 for 32gb. However, it's useless if the shutoff problem continues.

Any suggestions on how to correct the problem or should I just return the unit?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-06-2009, 11:34 AM

Have you checked the idle shut off time in the player settings?

Does your player shut off if you don't touch it for a while? or It shuts off while your listening to music, watching videos or tinkering with it?

If it happens when doing the latter then I guess your player is faulty better off getting a replacement.

Quick question - Did you get this from Amazon for $180?

Old 12-10-2009, 05:13 PM

Hi Skybluedream,
Yes, I checked the idle shut off time and reset it.

It shuts off while if I don't touch it as well as when I am watching videos and listening to music

Creative hasn't been able to help. I had already done everything they recommend but the problem still persists. I guess it will be going back. It's a shame that it needs to be returned because it was a nice player that suited my needs at a great price.

I bought it from Amazon right after Thanksgiving. However, it was shipped direct from Creative.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Wow!! I got my player today afternoon...I've been tinkering around with it practically all day!

Know what this same problem happened to be!

This thing has forzen on me like 5-6 times! I too got it from Amazon & right after TG hehe.

But...it shuts off when playing music...If I turn on/off the X-Fi icon at the top...it happens sooner or later.

While watching my encoded music videos it's shut off on me 3 times...1 time the video just flat-out froze but the audio kept on going....pressing the home key did nothing no help.

Had to reset it for that.

Whenever this happens this thing does "Scanning Disk" on reboot...I'm like Scandisk? What am I using Windows? jeez...then it rebuilds the library. Both these process take 3-4 mins.

But it hasn't forzen on me for the past 5-6 hours I've been messing with it? Maybe this thing is just buggy.

Anyway I'll try it off for a couple off more days if it goes on hanging/shutting off I'm screwed. I'm not from US one of my friends coming from US bought it from Amazon...so practically if things don't work out for me I'm screwed hehe.

You should try updating the firmware if you haven't...I did it as soon as the player came.

I'll be making a separate review/impressions thread regarding this player soon.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Shelby I think I figured the problem out!

What program you use for syncing I use WMP.

Even if you don't use a program & just drag n' drop you should do this

For Music -

There's a folder labelled Music on the player's drive.

So your music on it should go like this -

Music-->Artist(eg. make a folder named Bon Jovi)--->Album(create the album folder eg. Cross Road)--->Then all the tracks(eg. Always, I'll be there for you)

For Videos -

There's a folder named Videos on the player in that folder there are a couple of native player files.

Make a folder in the Videos folder name it Default & drag & drop the native videos in this folder.

Do the same thing for other stuff -

Make a folder named Music Videos, Movies, TV Shows

then sub catg. folder eg. Videos--->TV Shows--->Big Bang Theory--->the main video files.

I did this & the player hasn't crashed on me for a day upto now.

I find after doing this it also rebuilds it's library after disconnecting from the computer pretty fast as well.

Hope this helps you as well.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM

Hi Skybluedream,
I'm sorry to hear that someone else is having the same problem with this player. Creative has not been able to resolve the problem.

I was using WMP to transfer my music. I will try your suggestions and see if it works. It's just been sitting on my desk the past several days because I was so disgusted with it shutting down.

Creative told me that the unit could only be returned for a refund if it hasn't been opened. I still have to contact Amazon. Otherwise, if your solution doesn't work I will have to send it in for repairs.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM

Shelby I have done this -

Open up the XFi2 in explorer.

1st Folder - ACM Music - I have deleted everything in this folder. Keep the folder though don't delete the folder.

2nd Folder - Applications - Untouched.

3rd Folder - Imported Files - Untouched.

4th Folder - Music - Open this, Empty this folder - "Audiobook" but keep the folder. "eMusic" I have deleted this folder completely including it's contents.

5th Folder - My Organizer - Untouched.

6th Folder - Pictures - Untouched. - If you want to save photos in this folder, Make a new folder & place your files in them.

7th Folder - Playlist - Untouched.

8th Folder - Recorded - Untouched.

9th Folder - RSS - Untouched.

10th Folder - Starter Pack - I've removed this folder completely including it's contents.

11th Folder - Video - I have created a new folders in this folder. I've placed the videos which were preloaded in "Default" named folder. eg. Video\Default\ "The video files which where pre-loaded".

I've created 2 new folders in Video. Movies & TV. So in total there are 3 folders in the Video Folder.

Lastly there's this file "RSSSnychronizer" I delete this file but it automatically appears when I Connect back my player to the computer, so leave this file.

Of course you're better off making a backup of the entire folders you're gonna delete on your PC or a Blank DVD disc/ USB drive.

Then after doing all this I did this,

I played 1 song on the player & hit the reset button at the bottom while the song was playing.

The started the player again, it did the Scandisk & rebuilding.

I shut the player off, connected back to the computer.

I ran a "Scandisk" from Windows on the player. Go to My Computer, right click on the Zen drive letter & select Properties. Then go to tools in that & run "Error Checking" Tick mark this box "Automatically fix file system errors".

Let it do that & then disconnect the player & turn it off.

That's all I have done & the player hasn't crashed on me in the past week even if I mess wit the X-Fi settings while listening to songs.

Just make sure you arrange your music in the "Music" folder like WMP does i.e Music\Artist Name\Album name\ Songs.

Hope this helps you!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 PM

I have had the same problem intermittently since updating to the latest firmware. It will occasionally just switch off without warning, and as a result has to scan the drive when next switched on.

At one point I could repeat it - I had an audiobook on the SD card I was listening to. When I tried to change the playback position by dragging the little blue circle along the timeline it would immediately cut power. It did this three times in a row, until I used the >>| button instead.

It has done it a couple of times at random since then.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:56 PM

I got another freeze yesterday night...

I plugged it out of my computer.

Then turned it on it was showing the "ZEN" start up logo & I connected my USB Charger to it. Wham it froze on the start up screen.

Had to reset it! but that's the only freeze I got in the past 1 week.

Guess it shouldn't be charged unless it boots up fully.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Default Faulty Zen Xfi2

My Zen Xfi2 now goes into scan disc mode the moment it is turned on. Nothing will correct the problems I have experienced. It's a shame because I like the usability of the unit and of course the price was great. But it doesn't matter if it won't play correctly.

Finally, after numerous emails back and forth to Creative I have been told it can be returned for a full refund. It's not worth keeping with all of the random shut-offs and the constant waiting for the disc to be scanned. It's going back ASAP.

Best of luck to anyone that is experiencing the same problems. Now, I have to figure out what to purchase as a replacement.

Shelby