android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Default Zen Vision M not recognized by laptop/not charging/reset not working

Player was working fine a couple of days ago. Was nearing end of battery today so I plugged it into my laptop as usual with USB cable, box came up saying device was not recognized so I tried all other USB ports and restarting, etc. Still not working and by this point battery gone very low. I've tried to reset but that won't work either as the battery low screen just keeps coming up, I can't get to the menu. I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and software but no difference. Someone please help! I don't have a mains charger for the player so can only use the USB cable, btw.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2009, 01:58 PM

Angry

i have the same problem, battery is dead so just get the low battery message. the mp3 recovery tool from zen doesnt recognise it, i cant find any recognition for the mp3, other than when the pc boots up with the zen connected via usb, in which case it says device not recognised and when i check the driver it says not are needed or installed.

I sent it back to creative for an out of warranty repair, it worked for a week or so then packed up, that was a year ago, i didnt have the will to waste more time on it, having looked it up on internet i see its a problem for lots of people and a lot seemed linked to vista. have now installed windows 7 and picked the thing back up again - no change, getting really peed off-i dont want an ipod cause everyone has one, but no one seems to have these probs with them.

i also bought the playdock with it, and now even that wont power up, cant even get a power light when the mp3's not in it

im thinking its not recognised cause theres no battery? should i buy the wall adapter and charge that way in the hope its then recognised? ive read almost every post on the internet on this and cqant find an answer

please please please help before i join the darkside!!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:39 PM

my zen has been on plugged into pc usb to charge for 3 days! Thankfully it has now charged (ive never left it that long before) still cant get the pc to recognise it though Just says one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it. The creative recovery tool just says no supported device connected. I tried to manually load the driver cd but ended up with a message saying the cd was not compatible or suitable?? and asked if there was a 32 bit one available??
Any more ideas?? cheers

Old 12-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A few questions. Do you have music on the player?? Do you have your music files on the computer. Have you done a Cleanup>Reboot on the player?? Does the player showup in Device Manager?? If it does while it is connected find the player in Device Manager (may be as an unknown device) right-click on the player & choose Uninstall>Reboot the computer. On the player do a Cleanup>Reboot then reconnect it (Use the Rear USB ports) The driver for the player is Native to Vista/Win7. The link is to instruct for recovery /rescue mode. DO NOT Choose RELOAD FIRMWARE. http://forums.creative.com/t5/MP3-Pl...layer/td-p/208

Old 12-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Unfortunately, a borked firmware install can cause the same no-recognition problems. The best way to determine if this is the problem is to boot the player into Recovery Mode, then plug it into the computer. If your computer recognizes the device in this state, and your player acknowledges the connection, then the firmware is the likely problem.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:30 AM

i reset the player and replugged it into a diff usb port at the back - it now works!
cheers for your help

Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad you got it working!

Yeah, sometimes the backside USB ports tend to work better than the frontside ports, for whatever odd reason.